Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

XF 14mm discovers the Alhambra

10 posts in this topic

Posted

My Fujinon XF 14mm f/2.8 lens arrived just in time to come along on a mini-trip to a sunny but chilly Granada.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

The 14mm prime is a beautiful lens that is likely to come along on many more trips!

Images processed from RAW files using Lightroom 4.4RC1.

More information and images on my blog.

Posted

Very nice indeed,thanks for posting.

Posted

Excellent series and any distortion appears to have been completely corrected.

I can't really afford to buy one but the more I see of the results, the more I feel I can't do without one!

Posted

@rdelbar Great photos. I've got the 14mm recently too and excited to do more with it. But I'm finding that it's used mostly during the day and switch back to my 35mm f/1.4 at nights. How's the 14mm performing at night for you?

Posted

@sprae I have not done much night shooting with the 14mm so far, but i do like what I saw:

original.jpg

But of course, the 35mm simply excels at it!

original.jpg

Posted

looks like a nice ultra wide

Posted

These are really lovely, thank you for sharing. The more I see from the 14mm the more tempted I am to buy one!

Posted

@ rdelbar

Did you have to do much, if any straightening on these?

Posted

Just a little on the first one above, to compensate for vertical perspective distortion, virtually nothing on the others.

The most important thing however: there's so little barrel distortion that you can as good as forget about it. The images shown here all start from RAF file, so uncorrected by the camera or Lightroom, and I have never been tempted to try more than a +1 distortion correction value.

Shooting handheld (no tripod, no bubble level) with a 21mm equivalent wide angle of course forces you to think constantly about camera position and orientation, as perspective distortion lies just around the corner...

I have a few other shots (perhaps for a future post) where due to the cramped space I had no choice but to point my camera upwards. Lightroom's perspective control tools work excellent to fix those cases. The 14mm has a wide enough filed of view to plan from the start for the unavoidable frame cropping that comes with software correction, and its sharpness and microcontrast are high enough to avoid any visible problems in the final image.

Posted

Thanks. From what I understand the jpegs are automatically corrected. But the RAWs not, -- on opening the RAW files are they quite distorted or minimal? Seems the lens is very well corrected and is nicely balanced. It would rank it right up there with the 35/1.4 which is a superb lens