Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Very slow write speed

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I hadn’t been using my camera for a couple of months now, and today I noticed that suddenly it takes ages to write on the card (extreme pro 45mb/s), whereas before it would only take a sec. I formatted the card a few times but that didn’t solve the issue, although for a while it did seem to work but then it slowed down again after a few shots. Also, in the ovf, as soon as I press the shutter the frame moves down a bit. That doesn’t happen in the auto focus mode. I assume it may have to do with the firmware update I did a couple of months ago (v. 1.30), but it doesn’t allow me to reinstall the update.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Posted

There are a couple of things you could try

Try a different SD card

Make a note of your settings and do a system reset

Posted

Do you have long exposure noise reduction turned on?

When you have this on the camera takes a second "black" photo that is equal to the length (in time) of the original photo then uses the "black" photo to map out hot pixels in the original image. What this does is more than double processing time in EVERY image.

Long exposure noise reduction should only be turned on if noise in long exposures is a problem and generally only for exposures over one second in length (camera on tripod obviously). It should not be on by default.

Posted

@K1W1 Thanks for your reply. I've tried turning the noise reduction off, but again after a few shots the camera hungs. Also, this doesn't explain why the frame in the ovf moves when pressing the shutter release.

@Greyelm I've already tried the system reset and it didn't do anything. I could try with a different card but again it seems there's something wrong with the camera that a new card won't solve...

Posted

Hello,

Here the same problem. Pictures in RAW time about 4 minutes and waiting again 4 minutes to see the result. Fuji, what is wrong here?

Regards, Peter

Posted

I hadn’t been using my camera for a couple of months now, and today I noticed that suddenly it takes ages to write on the card (extreme pro 45mb/s), whereas before it would only take a sec. I formatted the card a few times but that didn’t solve the issue, although for a while it did seem to work but then it slowed down again after a few shots. Also, in the ovf, as soon as I press the shutter the frame moves down a bit. That doesn’t happen in the auto focus mode. I assume it may have to do with the firmware update I did a couple of months ago (v. 1.30), but it doesn’t allow me to reinstall the update.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

The SD card you use isn't a fast one - class 10 90mbs is considered the best - however - I also notice you haven't used the camera for a couple of months and that you updated the firmware a couple of months ago. Did you use a mac or ipad when you did the last firmware update - rather than a PC?

Vic

Posted

Indeed, the card isn't the fastest one, but I didn't have any problem at all with it untill yesterday. I did the firmware update on a PC. I am wondering if there is a way to reistall the update, to see if this is causing the problem.

Posted

Fuji says no, you can't reinstall the old firmware.

Do you have access to an alternative SD card (borrow one) so you can check the card itself is not the problem?

Posted

Card write speeds are a red herring and are not relevant to this issue.

Photographers seem to have a fixation with having the latest and fastest card available but the truth is that for single shot processing the real world difference between a 45mb/s card and a 90mb/s card is virtually indistinguishable in use with the size of files that a X10 produces. Apart from anything else I doubt that the bus speed of a X10 would be able to take advantage of the speed of a 90mb/s card anyway.

Continuous high speed shooting in RAW with a full frame DSLR is a completely different issue and there the card write speed is relevant.

Try a different card, don't worry too much about what class or speed rating it has as long as it is not the same card.

If that does not fix the issue maybe a trip to the Fuji service centre might be in order.

Posted

Hello,

Here the same problem. Pictures in RAW time about 4 minutes and waiting again 4 minutes to see the result. Fuji, what is wrong here?

Regards, Peter

That is a classic example of the sort of thing that happens when long exposure noise reduction is turned on. Double the exposure time to write the file. Is it turned on in your camera?

As far as the first 4 minute period is concerned that is a little confusing. Did you take a 4 minute exposure?

Posted

I've read that 45 m/bs seems to be the optimum speed for the X100 so a faster card might not help.

You've formatted the card in camera NOT on the PC , didn't use the card on a Mac/Ipad but have you also formatted the internal memory by doing another format with the card removed and the camera not in RAW mode?

I would try another card to eliminate a card error - even Class 2 isn't that bad.