Soft Release Buttons - Options, Ideas, & Reviews

175 posts in this topic

Posted

One benefit to the Fuji X100's threaded shutter button is the ability to attach accessories like a soft release button. If you're not familiar with soft releases, they simply create a larger shutter button with more leverage that can be pressed faster and easier, with less camera shake. The added stability can allow you to potentially shoot handheld shots at slower shutter speeds or smaller apertures than usual, while still capturing a sharp image.

The only potential downside to a soft release is that the shutter button may become depressed when in your camera bag, which could burn through your battery if the camera is not turned off. Some X100 users report preferring the smaller sized releases, as the larger size exaggerates the 'wiggle' of the X100's shutter button.

I'd like to try using one with my X100 and see if it helps with my low light photography, or if it just feels 'snappier' during everyday use. There are a number of soft releases on the market, in a wide array of sizes and quality, so I thought I'd compile a list of some of the more popular options available.

Affordable

The most affordable soft release I've seen is Adorama's own house brand, available for $2.49 USD: Adorama Soft Touch Shutter Release Adapter

Adorama Soft Touch Shutter Release Adaptor in silver

Here's a photo of one on an X100: http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5714270684/

High Quality

Tom Abrahamsson's soft releases are highly regarded as being some of the best, available in both 15mm and 8mm diameters, with 6 different colors, for $20 USD. They're machined out of an aluminum alloy. Available at PopFlash

Tom Abrahamson soft release button

Match Technical's Beep, Boop, Bip soft release buttons offer a more polished finish and offer both concave (Boop) or convex (Beep & Bip) shapes, sized 15.5mm (Boop & Beep) or 10mm (Bip). They're made of solid brass and come in a myriad of finishes, including the popular 'lady bug.' Prices start at $16, available at PopFlash or £15 at Robert White in the UK.

Match Technical Beep soft release button

Zhou Camera offers brass and enamel painted soft releases in both 15mm and 10mm sizes, with 6 colors to choose from. They're only $12.50 USD + $2 shipping on eBay.

Zhou Camera soft release shutter button

Leicatime's soft release buttons are made of stainless steel and have a 16mm diameter. Both concave and convex versions are available, depending on your preference. They're priced at €20, http://www.leicatime.com/a000-leitz_accessories.htm

Leicatime soft release button

eBay also has a myriad of other soft releases available, even some vintage ones that may be compatible with the X100. Take a look, you might find a good deal or something retro.

Have any experience using soft releases? Share your advice here!

Posted

I was not a fan of the Boop, but am really liking the Abrahamson mini soft release.

WP_000054.jpg

Posted

That's the one I want to get too! You've basically built the camera rig I want, I'd say we have similar taste :)

Do you use it all the time, or only in certain settings?

Posted

The Luxcase soft releases look nice, not quote as tall as most. I wonder if anyone in the US has been able to place an order, or found another retailer?

Posted

I decided to order an Abrahamsson Mini Soft Release in silver tonight, it seems to review well with X100 owners. I'm curious to try handheld low light shooting with slower shutter speeds to see if it helps keep the camera steady.

Posted

My Abrahamsson Mini Soft Release arrived today, super fast shipping from Pop Flash!

abrahamsson-soft-release.jpg

I haven't had a chance to use it on my usual photo walks, but just experimenting around the house I'm quite pleased with it. The soft release really improves the tactile feedback of the shutter button, and I have a good sense of how I can use the 'trigger finger' method to keep the camera far more steady.

One thing to note, when the soft release is firmly screwed into the shutter button, it will turn the ON/OFF switch if you twist it. It's not a problem, of course, just something I noticed.

I highly recommend the accessory, even if you just buy an inexpensive one, it really improves the shooting experience.

Posted

@Christopher looking good! I also got mine from PopFlash as well. I also noticed that when I screwed on the release it switched it on/off. Like you said, a non-issue.

Posted

Your soft release looks great, Pop Flash is where I ordered my strap & release as well, I havn't had any problems with it coming loose yet.

Posted

I got mine as well for S$20 (US$16) A small little nub which is brass coated with chrome. Also got new eyelets as the one given to me by fujifilm is a bit too small.

Posted

I picked up a mini Abrahamsson from Photo Village yesterday. I was expecting a store-front, but instead found them in an office space on the eighth floor. No matter, they had a box of buttons on the counter. "How many do you want and in which color?" Oh, well I guess I need one in every color. I'll change it depending on my mood (and/or my outfit of course). Ha. Seriously, just give me one in red. Thanks.

Posted

LOL!

Sometimes I wish I had gotten the red one, it looks so nice, but in my mind I figured the silver would be a bit less conspicuous when street shooting.

I had a chance to try it out last night during golden hour and into the night. The shutter is noticeably easier to press, sometimes I was taking a shot a second or two before I expected to. It's going to take a little practice, but pulling my index finger back against the release for the 'trigger finger method' really does help reduce camera shake.

Posted

agreed

Posted

I got my Red mini Abrahamsson as well. Direct by ordering by email (I live in France)

Received after 1 week. Great deal, quality is really here, and fast shipping

I'm a happy man :)

Posted

Great choice! Welcome to the community @Nicaz!

Posted

Thanks @Christopher! We've got some X100 websites in France, but not good as yours

Posted

I recieved my mini Abrahamsson from Photo Village today.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted

The red Abrahamsson mini soft release really looks great on the X100! I haven't taken mine off since I received it, I think I prefer the quick and easy shutter release it provides. It does extend beyond the X100's dimensions and makes contact with the LC-X100 imitation case that I'm using, but it's not a tight enough fit to interfere with or depress the shutter button when the case is on the camera. I do have to be sure that I switch the X100 off though, as the case can more easily depress the shutter button when fully closed.

Posted

Just to share:

My miniscule soft release

Posted

That has a nice finish, it looks like it has a lower profile than the Abrahamsson soft release. Who makes that one?

Posted

I bought a Beep. Couldn't decide on a color so went with the logo version.

2011-06-x100-2

Posted

Here's the top view.

5844393868_64db7ff18a.jpg

It goes US$16 a pop. The version is Chrome plated brass soft release.

Can email them and ask: enquiries@decameraconsultant.com

Posted

The good thing about his release is that it won't get in the way of the Fujifilm leather cover and it can close it completely and firmly.

Posted

SO the mini ones shouldnt be affected by the case? And what is prefered, convex or concave? Convex seems to eb preffered, any idea why?