bobbywise

Lens Control Error

29 posts in this topic

Hi,

I had the XF1 for about a month.

Used it only a little bit.

Gave it a bit more of use today while walking around Barcelona.

Tonight, when zooming, the image wobbles and then the screen displays Lens Control Error.

Anyone else witnessed this ?

Looks like I'll have to get it changed/fixed.

Cheers,

Rob

Bought mine in December, just had the Lens Control Error today. Bought it through Amazon, but it was sold by an Amazon merchant (17th Street Photo). Have started a dialog with Amazon / 17th St/ Photo, but not sure if t will be dealt with by Amazon, 17th Street Photo or Fuji. Will keep the group posted.

Hi, [sorry about my poor english]

Same problem here ! I bought mine in a real shop with a real seller ;-) in France, about 8 month ago i think. Got the message a few month later. Brought back the camera to the shop, let it go to Fujifilm during two weeks. Got it back for free, with a new optical block.

I thought the trouble was fixed. Nope ! I got the same message a few weeks later. I wonder what i'm gonna do this time. I can shoot pictures and videos, but oftenly it crashes. I observed that before the "lens control error" message appears, the image in the screen is moving from left to right and from right to left, and the lens is making a strange little noise.

Do you have the same behaviour from your camera ?

François

La Roche sur Yon - FRANCE

You have very specific user rights under EU consumer law.

It would be far better to be exercising them than to be complaining on forums.

Hmm. My XF1 literally lives in my coat pocket with coins and stuff, or in laptop bag in a pocket with random stuff. It goes everywhere with me and gets no special treatment. It is like new. And I bought it as a refurbished model. It's built like a tank.

I have had to return an X10 twice and had excellent service from Fuji UK. It surprises me to hear of the poor treatment the Amazon reviewer in the US has received.

I had nothing but great service from Fuji with my X10 as well. No ones perfect and there are always going to be a few examples, perceived or otherwise, where the service is less than stellar. My experience has always been good and their comms are usually excellent as well.

I recently had the same "lens control error". Fortunately I bought that camera from Amazon and they sent me a new one. I'm just afraid that the new one will have the same problem. Anyway the xf1 (it was a present) did just 500 shots... Awkward Fujifilm...

Same problem with our XF1 after about 6 months of light usage. We've had lens issues in the past with a Canon S100 but Canon had a notice on their website about the problem and volunteered to have the problem fixed free of charge. With Fuji, I read about the denial so I shot a close up vid of our cosmetically perfect unit before I sent it in as I knew they might claim user fault/damage --which they did. I told them I have proof (in the form of a video) that the lens error wasn't due to some surface damage so they put me hold and came back 15 minutes later telling me that they'd fix the problem. Otherwise they were going to charge something like $180 or so for the repair. Hey, I like Fuji cameras which is why I bought this one in the first place but a lot of people, including myself, have experienced this by-the-book systematic process of denying legitimate claims from their repair center. A lot of companies do this like insurance companies but with a known problem I sure wish Fuji wouldn't act in this manner. There's no way I'm going to pick up another unit from them in the near future. Friend of mine had to return 2 brand new X-E2's due to some dust or oil on the sensor issue. He finally just picked up an X-M1 and said that it, too, has some small spot showing up.

hearing that I consider myself lucky to bought it from Amazon. Hope the new xf1 will not have that problem. The SN, is much more recent. We will see

hearing that I consider myself lucky to bought it from Amazon. Hope the new xf1 will not have that problem. The SN, is much more recent. We will see

@burpo - how is your 2nd XF1 - any issues with it? Would love to know as i ordered an XF1 from Amazon and now i am worried reading about all these Lens Control Errors eventually developing.

My 55-200 tele decided not to work today. Called Fuji and they told me to send it in for warranty repair. All that appeared on the screen was "lens control error." Yesterday (and the past two months) the lens was fine.

my xf1 has just developed the lens control error fault, fortunatly its still under guarantee by a few weeks so i have took it back to currys who i ordered it from and they have said they will be sending it off to be repaired.

got it back from fuji who say they have put a new lens in it, put the battery back in it and guess what its still showing the lens control error message so its gone back again.... can i trust this camera... no

At first i apologies for my poor English

I'm in service at a camera sales and service center, i have face a lot of time like " Lens control error"

I have found that why this problem create, in lens there is a focusing motor, the motor if damage then create problem but i can't solve that problem because i have no support to replace a focus motor.

I think if Fujifilm try to support to me then i will fix that problem.

Bought mine at Best Buys and lens control error popped up after about 6 months Calling Fuji tomorrow

I am now having the same issue with my XF1 which I have owned since November 2013. It was purchased from John Lewis in the UK so thankfully it is still covered under their 2 year warranty. Hopefully it will be fixed by them! I will update the thread once I have had a chance to take it in to them.

Has anyone ever gotten Fuji to take responsibility for this "Lens Control Error" issue? I spoke with Fuji yesterday and they told me that this was not considered a "Known Issue" and that it would cost me at least $140 to have repaired (though probably much more, since the lens assembly will most likely need replacing). When I said that there were many documented cases of this defect, the Fuji tech rep laughed at me and said, "so you think because 50 people on a forum have had this issue, it's Fuji's problem?" This is what we're up against, the company keeps pretending that this isn't a mechanical defect on their part, when a quick Google search shows that tons of people are having this same issue. So until Fuji does the right thing and fixes our cameras, we're stuck with $500 paperweights.

1 person likes this

Dear All,

I got the same issue twice and, both times, when visiting foreign countries.

The 1st time it happen in Barcelona, got it repaired after one month or so, the 2nd time it happen in Paris.

...difficult to say that this is not a "known problem", it looks like a "known and forgotten" issue.

This is not acceptable for a camera priced at around 400 Euro.

Will never buy a Fuji camera anymore.

I have the same issue with my XF1, unfortunately it was bought in Jan 2014 so out of warranty. I emailed fuji and was advised to register it on the service/repair part of the site, which I did..£85 to repair and that includes another 12 months warranty for the whole camera. I have refused to pay for the repair as I believe Fuji should repair it FOC. I have since emailed fuji on numerous occasions and have not received any replies...

My XF1 has this same issue twice. The first time is still under warranty but the second is not. This is definitely a design flaw. If they were Canon, they would have already replaced it with the new one.

My xf1 has the same problem after 13 months.

Does anybody have an xf1 more than 18 months old that still works?

Edited by RichardP
typo

You have very specific user rights under EU consumer law.

It would be far better to be exercising them than to be complaining on forums.

as a consumer your case will be a lot stronger if you can say there are for example 5000 recorded cases of this camera failing after a year or so. The more people who complain here the better. You never know, Fuji employees might read this site and decide there is a known problem after all.

Same here.  I bought the xf1 new from electrical & camera store about 9 months ago. I find it difficult to believe this camera wasn't withdrawn from sale or this Lens Control Error problem wasn't fixed. I notice some of the posts on this forum are from 2012. I bought this new camera around January 2015. They were still selling it! Even though they knew of this common problem. Apart from the obvious disappointment for the consumer, it can't be doing fuji's reputation much good regarding quality control to say nothing of the huge cost of fixing the problem under warranty. I own another Fuji camera, the x100s & it is brilliant, I had to send it to be repaired but not a serious problem & Fuji couldn't have been more helpful. The  quality of the repair was excellent.  Everyone who has bought the Xf1 should have it repaired free of charge even if it's out of warranty or given the choice of exchanging it for a more reliable camera from the X range using the full cost of the original purchase of the xf1 as part exchange.

1 person likes this