Sign in to follow this  
veejaycee

Bigger is better

I thought my black plastic soft releases were a good idea because being plastic, the thread would tend to bind and stay tight and so it proved for 8 months - then it disappeared! When it came to ordering a replacement I thought I'd go for something a little larger, like the lady bug ones. When it arrived it was much larger than I expected. It is 16mm - 5/8ths inch diameter (the same as the ev comp dial) and made of copper. I now need to use my finger nail to flick the on/off switch but that's no problem. I really love this soft release. Where before I would sometimes inadvertently press the shutter when I only intended to wake-up the camera, I no longer have that problem and the shutter press itself is indeed soft with little likelihood of causing shake when pressing. I need to check out ways to keep it tight but it's so big that I think would notice immediately if it weren't there and a permanent fix means I couldn't use a cable release - suggestions? I generally prefer to not draw attention to myself or my gear and as an old and now overweight guy I'm no poser but I must admit, the big red button makes my XP1 look damned handsome.

While this is not a plug for this particular product, I will include the eBay page so you can see it. £9 post free to/from UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Big-Soft-release-shutter-button-for-Fujifilm-FX-Fuji-X-E1-X-E1-Canon-Nikon-/271115942227?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Vic

Since you are talking about these "soft releases"... could someone please explain what the purpose of these things are? I've never managed to work it out...

They raise the height of the button so it sits just right. Do you not find that the "naked" shutter button is set too deep into the on/of switch surround? I also prefer a convex shape to allow me roll my finger over the button - it all makes for a more gentle release of the shutter and less chance of camera shake (from jabbing). Maybe you need to try one to see what I mean - I used to think they were for show but they aren't.

after losing 2 cheap soft shutter releases, i put one layer of electrical tape around the threads of my soft shutter release and pushed it into the threads so it followed the form of the screw as closely as i could manage it (didn't want to use clear nail polish as some have suggested). then i screwed it in and it's tight enough -- it hasn't come out without my making an effort to actually unscrew it.

@apples - Thanks, I'll give that a try - also, I may try some fishing nylon wrapped around the threads because I can vary the thickness of that.

Vic

could someone please explain what the purpose of these things are? I've never managed to work it out...

They really are a hang over from the days of mechanical shutter releases when they did provide additional feel and enable a "softer" release thus minimising camera shake.

Today their use is largely personal preference. With the electronic release on cameras the necessity for a mechanical advantage has gone. If anybody feels that they help their photo taking ability or likes the look of having them on their camera then thats fine but in strict mechanical terms they have no advantage.

could someone please explain what the purpose of these things are? I've never managed to work it out...

They really are a hang over from the days of mechanical shutter releases when they did provide additional feel and enable a "softer" release thus minimising camera shake.

Today their use is largely personal preference. With the electronic release on cameras the necessity for a mechanical advantage has gone. If anybody feels that they help their photo taking ability or likes the look of having them on their camera then thats fine but in strict mechanical terms they have no advantage.

You have confirmed my own suspicions. I know they are referred to as "soft releases" but couldn't for the life of me work out how putting another button on top of a button somehow makes it "softer". I have never had a shutter release that was mechanically difficult to press as they have all been electronic, so I really couldn't work out what they were for!

@veejaycee -- the fishing nylon sounds like a good idea and easier to wrangle around the threads! sounds like it'll increase the friction enough to keep the button in place.

@veejaycee -- the fishing nylon sounds like a good idea and easier to wrangle around the threads! sounds like it'll increase the friction enough to keep the button in place.

I would use Teflon tape that is available for next to nothing in the hardware department. Plumbers use it to seal the treads on taps.

@sweeze - That's what I'm hoping. I have various strengths of fishing line around so I'll give it a try. I also have some some thin, stretchy and sticky plumbers tape somewhere which may be what Kiwi refers to. The thing is, I can say how tight it "feels" - in fact it "feels" tight without either substance but then so did my plastic soft touch. I think it requires an extended period of testing but I do believe that a softer substance between the metal shutter button and metal soft touch is the answer.

Using any of these methods is it still twistable to get it off? Sometimes I like to use a cable instead.

Teflon tape would be I can't speak for other methods.

I also have some some thin, stretchy and sticky plumbers tape somewhere which may be what Kiwi refers to.

That will be the stuff.

I use one with a concave surface on my XE1;The diameter is not big enough to interfere

withe on-off switch.

These devices create the impression of decreased release force because of their bigger

area.

On 6/30/2013 at 3:52 AM, artuk said:

Since you are talking about these "soft releases"... could someone please explain what the purpose of these things are? I've never managed to work it out...

Worthless to me;user's call.