Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Travels with my Fuji X-E1 (18-55mm and 55-200mm)

17 posts in this topic

Posted

After spending a few weeks on this site reading everyone's experiences of the Fuji X series, it was enough to persuade me to go and buy a Fuji X-E1, instead of a full frame camera that I had been saving for. I've still got a lot to learn but i'm having so much fun in the process. So I thought i'd post a few of my first photos, taken whilst on holiday in Crete along with a few other local shots to try out both lenses (I was lucky enough to pick up the only 55-200mm in stock locally a couple of days before I went on holiday).

I'm loving the images this camera produces, especially hand held with high ISO, and how easily the resulting jpegs can be manipulated in post production, a few examples of which can be seen amongst the images below with some 'retro' tones added. And yes, the 2nd from last image really is a high wire artist sat about 20m high (without safety nets) pouring himself a cup of tea.

This weekend i'm hoping to give the Fuji X-E1 a thorough low light testing during the London Open House event!

There's more images on my flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegreenalbum

9566591531_97c57b7ef2_z.jpg

9720707041_f5704c9cd2_z.jpg

9573231765_d1898e9223_z.jpg

9603663603_0463fefda6_z.jpg

9631434578_baab8199cb_z.jpg

9713675153_0a485107f3_z.jpg

9690092513_638fbbf2c9_z.jpg

9644504368_c90160d388_z.jpg

9614379556_6f0280217c_z.jpg

9682674227_f22d39d690_z.jpg

Posted

Very nice! Rethymnon?

Posted

No, it was Chania. We've been a few times before and was great to return there with such a fabulous camera.

Posted

Gorgeous shots, I'm still waiting for the delivery of my xe1 and these shots don't make the wait easier. ;)

Posted

Nice!

Posted

Great images.

Posted

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. @rhermans - hope you get your x-e1 delivered soon, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!

Posted

Great! I love the old guy sitting on the bench fishing :)

Posted

I very much enjoyed your gallery especially those taken in Crete to the extent that I Googled Chania and I'm now looking for a late holiday there in October.

Vic

Posted

Very nice. I particularly like the night shot, the man fishing and the portrait.

Posted

Thhank you all. And I'm delighted @veejaycee that my photos have inspired you to go there in October. It's a fabulous city full of life, character and great places to eat and drink with photo opportunities everywhere.

Posted

#1 and #3 are the winners to me. Nice imaging.

Posted

Numba 3. is. neat.

Posted

I think they are all very strong images in their own way.

My personal favorites are 1, 3, 4.

Posted

Beautiful start into Fuji land. Great to see another user so pleased.

Posted

good work, like it

Posted

Thanks to @TheGreenAlbum I just booked 10 days to Chania, Crete, in mid Oct when temperatures are comfortable. For the first time I'll be traveling sans DSLR.

For a non-safari/wildlife holiday I usually take both FX and DX DSLR bodies with 2/3 WA & Tele zooms and 5 fast primes from 35mm to 180mm plus a monopod and heavy-ish tripod - all in my big Lowepro backpack (sometimes a 50-500mm too). This time I will take a Lowepro Event messenger 150 bag with XP1, Fuji 35mm and 18-55 zoom (main armament), plus Nikon 50mm (maybe) and 85mm and 135mm lenses + Travel Angel tripod. On a daily basis I expect to take just the zoom and either 85 or 135. Some evenings and early mornings I'll take all lenses (and lightweight tripod for long exposures) - and that will still be only a fraction of what I used to carry!

If @TheGreenAlbum or anyone else who has visited has advice on whether I can further refine my choice (+ or -) I'll be happy to hear it.

Vic