Lordcamel

What bags or camera bags are you using ?

Hi everyone,

I am actively looking for a new bag which wouls fit :

Fuji XM1 + 16-50 zoom

Fuji 35 1.4

Fuji 55-200

+ another small prime

+ my stuff , cellphone / wallet

So I would like to know what you, Fuji shooters with multiple lenses, are you carrying ?

Thanks a lot !

Bags? Is there a photographer anywhere in the world who has less than half a dozen bags all of which were perfect when they were purchased? :D

I'm using a Hadley Pro for X100s, X10, WCL-100, keys, wallet, phone, iPad, filters. spare batteries and Arca Swiss plate. I reckon I would use the same bag for the sort of equipment you are talking about.

BTW. You really should have a look through this thread it will probably answer your question.

• Like 3

I can't tell you a specific model/SKU# but I have a Lowepro bag and it served me well for a few years with my DSLR. I now use it for my Fuji camera and there's plenty of room and pockets for extra SD cards, spare battery, cables, user manual, etc. with a bit of room for sunglasses, a ball cap, etc. Several velcro dividers make it easy to customize. I find Lowepro to be a good quality with some useful features. They have a website www.lowepro.com.

Thanks I saw the thread already and there is a good choice inside but I want to know what you are using now and if you are happy with it, so thanks for the Hadley Pro (small?)

What I would like is a bag where my setup fits but not necessarily a "camera bag"

Maxpedition Versapack. Cross carry, highly customizable/scalable.

I added some padding to the bottom of the main compartment to protect the camera/lenses inside.

At the time I wrote the blog, I did not have a 55-200mm. I will say that the side "water bottle" pocket fits the 55-200mm like it was designed for it.

I use that bag as Every Day Carry(EDC) and it truly goes with me everywhere.

Blogged about it some time ago here:

Modifying An EDC Bag For Camera Use

I've been using a bag that wasn't designed to be a camera bag, but with some inserts from my other camera bags woks wonderfully well. It holds all the gear I want to carry with me and leaves some space for personal items too. Best of all, it doesn't look like a camera bag, so I don't look like an obnoxious street photographer or a tourist. You definitely should try it out (I mean the bag, not being obnoxious).

Re; flexibility, did you not read my reply?

I always end up buying Lowepro too. They are highly functional and well thought out. Stuff like my add-on Lowepro lens pouches fit on all my bags from double system trekker to single system mini-trekker, Sling pack and my new Event Messenger 150 which takes my XP1 with STD zoom fitted plus 5 other lenses and Nikon adapter. Room in the front zip for flash, mobile, batts, cards cleaning bits and general stuff, also a netbook/tablet slot at rear of main compartment and an outside documents pocket with 2 elasticated end pockets which will accept the extra lens pouches if necessary. Whilst considering the purchase of another small bag to carry camera+zoom and one extra lens I happened to come upon yet another Lowepro bag in my fishing/walking/camera cupboard - a "Lowepro Nova Micro" and guess what - it is exactly right for the purpose I described with the extra lens in the front zip compartment and batts, card and bits in elastic side and zipped top flap pocket. http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://wistful.freeweb7.com/lowepro-nova-micro-aw-black.jpg&imgrefurl=http://wistful.freeweb7.com/nikon-sbr1-closeup-remote-kit.html&h=268&w=234&sz=9&tbnid=bbEl_NMt1TJPUM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=79&zoom=1&usg=__HaPniuES5rxo3XEJKG5fXD24LAg=&docid=vKiplmfLXVYuoM&sa=X&ei=upxEUtb1NMa47Ab9loEo&ved=0CE8Q9QEwAg I don't think this model is still available since I got it for my then new Coolpix 5700 (2002 I think) but they still make similar models at very reasonable prices.

I've been using a bag that wasn't designed to be a camera bag, but with some inserts from my other camera bags woks wonderfully well. It holds all the gear I want to carry with me and leaves some space for personal items too. Best of all, it doesn't look like a camera bag, so I don't look like an obnoxious street photographer or a tourist. You definitely should try it out (I mean the bag, not being obnoxious).

Ok but which one is it ? :D

Billingham Hadley small will hold all that stuff. Lightweight, very high quality, completely weatherproof. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. The 'Pro' will handle even more. For less money a Domke F-5xb will carry the body with lens attached, two other lenses (incl. the 55-200) and a small flash, but that's it. The F-5xc will carry it all.

I use the Think Tank Retrospective 20. It holds my X-E1 and all 5 of my lenses. I still have plenty of room but the weight is getting heavy so I'll stop there. It's a well designed bag that has carried my big DSLRs and huge lenses for years. It's super rugged and doesn't look like a camera bag. I could easily hang by the strap on a tree limb even though I weigh 270 pounds. Also Think Tank also has a complete new line for mirrorless cameras called "Mirrorless Movers" at : http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-camera-bags/mirrorless-mover.aspx

Think Tank Retrospective 20 Pinestone

Re; flexibility, did you not read my reply?

Sorry i actually read it but can t stand lowerpro's design and look

OK then, that's a matter of personal taste. It's functional, but if you don't like the look then I can understand. Hope you find what you like.

My two cents worth of contribution.

First, before buying a bag, clarify how you envision to use it. Typical things to consider: large vs. small bag and (connected to it) large/heavy vs. little/light equipment; any need to already cater for future growth of the equipment; length/difficulty of the carrying sessions (e.g. casual photography vs. day-long trekking); accessibility of the equipment; style (shoulder bag, beltpack, backpack, slingpack, ...). Thankfully there is such a variety of types and styles and large number of offerings that in most cases one can find a bag close to ideal (or easily adapt it to become so). Once the main requirements are understood, the very best thing would be to visit a retailer and try the bags in person (one of the reasons we still treasure retailers, isn't it?). At this point choose the one bag that you feel works best regardless of its brand or appearance (cost, sadly, is another story).

I wanted to buy a hadley small but it's too small, I don't like the idea to swap things in order to get a lens, sure it can hold a lot of stuff but you have to move and swap all day, it's just not practical on the field with 3-4 lenses in my opinion.

Bigger shoulder bags are just too big for me, I went the Fuji X way to carry small and lightweight equipment, it's not to bring a bag that looks like there are 3 DSLR in it.

So I end up with a lowepro flipside 200, for sure they are ugly and not in par with the Fuji look, but to access gear there is nothing better, and gear is very safe in risky locations since it cannot be accessed while the bag is on your back.

While I like to have a top opening shoulder bag for walking about stuff, I'm no longer keen on the old type shoulder bags which are bulky and put too much strain on the shoulder. For X systems, a messenger type bag is my preference even though I sometimes have to remove one lens to get to another below. My pet hate is top-opening bags with a zip opening - especially a central zip opening through which one must squeeze the camera and probably scratch it when doing so. A flap cover is my preference with a choice of snap lock/buckle and Velcro (one is quiet - the other quick and noisy and thus secure) like the Lowepro messenger bags.

My main requirement is functionality and protection. I can understand why some go for expensive stylish looks and why others go for anonymity but in the first case I would rather spend my money on something that helps me improve my pictures and a smart bag won't do that. In the second case - it doesn't really matter that your bag looks like something other than a camera bag nor even that it looks a bit disheveled, no one is fooled - if you have a bag then it most likely contains something of value and virtually everyone these days has a mobile and/or tablet and wallet/credit cards etc so a bag will always be a target to the less reputable members of society. When I have a bag and I'm out walking, my camera will be in my hand or over a shoulder so everyone can guess what else the bag contains. I will admit to a preference for an "anonymous bag" which doesn't attract attention by looking stylish - but then you could apply that to most things about me including my clothes and my behaviour - beige and grey rule! :-)

Vic

I use the Timbuk2 Snoop messenger bag. I love it. It holds my X-Pro1, 2 lenses, filters, iPad, misc. junk... It has about 4 pockets for misc. stuff. I also like that it does not scream camera bag. It looks like a basic messenger bag. I think it was about $85.