Lordcamel

What bags or camera bags are you using ?

shotage   

I thought I would come and post about the new Fuji camera bag offering. Well it's made by Millican for Fuji: http://www.homeofmillican.com/shop/christopher-the-camera-bag.html

I wasn't familiar with this brand before, the bag itself looks nice enough but at £199 it's pretty steep. Especially since it appears it's not really a camera bag as such, but has a box you can put your camera in before you put it in the bag.

I'm not totally convinced by this - what are your thoughts?

Petrus   

For my Tibet trip I bough the ThinkTank Retrospective 7 to hold X-Pro1, X100s and 14mm, 35mm and 55-200mm lenses, small flash, batteries, cards etc. Quite perfect, not too full but not too big, does not look too much like a camera bag either.

I have also used an Osprey FlapJill Courier messenger bag (women's model, slightly smaller), which looks even less like a camera bag. Have to try it with some camera bag inserts I have laying around, so far I have just had the camera(s) sloshing around in there, maybe some spare undies as padding...

Ona "The Bowery" leather bag...

Ona The Bowery

Fits my X100S and several small accessories and my iPad mini. I recently upgraded to an iPad Air and that fits as well. Not as nicely as the mini, but I have had no problem walking around with the bag with the Air.

Ona Bowery & iPad Air

• Like 1

Your text to link...

It carries plenty of lenses, bodies and enough stuff for my daily use. The top compartment could be bigger but I was moving from an Aerostich courier bag with Crumpler inserts. I also like the option of using it as a regular backpack and the protections seems good with decent accessibility.

AndyB, Fuji X100, Panasonic GX1, Olympus OMD EM5 with too many (or not enough?) lenses.

Your text to link...

This another one I picked up cheap on Zozi (no one likes blue?) but haven't used. I think this would be good when I needed to carry more non-camera stuff than camera stuff. Like if I were walking around and needed to stow a jacket, carry food, etc. It looks good but I haven't been doing any of that type of walking about lately.

AndyB, Fuji X100, Panasonic GX1, Olympus OMD EM5 with too many (or not enough?) lenses.

PH68   

The 'Troop London' bags are well worth a look. Fantastic quality for the price - really well made from heavy duty canvas and leather, lots of pockets for bits and pieces and a larger central pocket with a waterproof lining which is ideal for the camera.

Best of all they don't look like camera bags. Loads in the range, but I have this one - brilliant for travelling:

http://www.trooplondon.com/epages/es114527.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es114527_es122149120482/Products/TRP0211/SubProducts/trp0211-0006

Another vote for the Troop London bags.

I have a couple of their canvas messenger bags... very good quality.

They don't look like camera bags either!

I just use a cheap "padded camera insert" I got from eBay.

• Like 1

I have a ~$30 BBK-3 canvas messenger bag from eBay. Its my everyday bag as I always have my XE1 + XF35 with me. Despite being cheap, its held up well for the past four months and should it fall apart in a year, well it will be cheap to replace.

It has a padded insert with adjustable dividers. I don't carry that many things, but they have larger ones as well. Mine is long enough to take a 13" MacBook Pro.

Best part is that it doesn't look like you're carrying expensive camera gear.

img

• Like 1

morpheme   

living in the lovely Pacific NW, I don't think I'll ever go with a canvas bag, though they do look nice. I have a Timbuk2 Snoop camera bag, which is basically a messenger bag with a camera insert. One thing that I really like about it is that it has a functional waist strap. I can actually take the shoulder strap down if it starts bothering my back or neck and the bag is still rock steady. It's got a 3 divider insert very much like the one above, but with a zipper top. there's pockets for small stuff on the front one strange "Napoleon" pocket that I've never used, and a space in the back that can hold a tablet, or with a bit of coaxing even my MacBook. There are straps on the bottom to hold a tripod, though I have just replaced cinch strap hardware that came on it for ones that have buckles, as it was a huge pain to have to stick the tripod in from each end and harder still to get it back out.

K1W1_Mk2   

+1 for the Timbuk2. I purchased one in San Francisco a couple of years ago and it's a great product. I particularly like using it on a motorcycle as the waist strap keeps everything in place. One thing that is handy about it is the it is a good size and if required I can carry a DSLR and a couple of lenses or my X cameras and plenty of other stuff. The tripod loop on the bottom has also proved very useful to me on photowalks.

arnold_w   

I have two cheap bags from Ebay. At first I bought the smallest one, just for the X-E1 + two lenses, but the bag became a bit too small for two bodies and more lenses, so I bought the same model, but a little bigger. I love the retro style and it doesn't look like a typical camera bag. It comes with a rain sleeve as well.

DSC01122_526F672C_zps57f0380c.jpg

DSC01146_526F672C_zpsa4b48c67.jpg

• Like 1

Petrus   

I love the retro style and it doesn't look like a typical camera bag. It comes with a rain sleeve as well.

Yeah... Camera bags now yell "don't look at me, I am just an old retro gas mask bag everybody is carrying, secretly holding multithousand dollar camera kit!"...

dougb   

I really like the Crumpler moderate enthusiast.

open the main cmpartmentzipper and it creates a pouch to hold everything in and at easy reach, use as shoulder or waist-hip bag

i hold xe-1 with lens on and 2 extra lenses charger cord battery and mini tripod no problem padded and very well designed

It’s interesting to see that most of the suggestions on this thread are satchel-type or messenger-style bags. I too, prefer that, for the size of kit that the OP asked about.

I carry a similar size kit almost every day: an X-Pro1 body, and either three primes (18mm, 35mm, 60mm) or a zoom plus two primes (the bulky 10-24mm with the 35mm & 60mm again). Usually a spare battery, blower & cleaning brush. I favor either an old Billingham Hadley Pro (I think mine is over 10 years old now) –

www.rtsphoto.com/#!billingham-hadley-large-pro/c

And more recently, I’m also using the Artist and Artistan “Oskar’s One Day” bag –

http://www.artisanandartist.com/bags/acam7100.htm

Both bags easily accommodate the aforementioned load. With ease, I’d be able to add another small prime to either bag as well, if I were to use a padded spacer in one of the silos that’s created by the vertical dividers.

The A&A Oskar bag is smaller than the Hadley Pro. I would say it’s similar in capacity to the Hadley Small, which I owned years ago, but didn’t keep.

A few comments about what it’s like to work out of these bags, and why I would choose one bag over the other:

Both bags have a carrying handle in addition to the shoulder strap. To me, this is an important feature with all bags that I use. Makes them easier to pull out of taxi’s, switching the bag from a shoulder carry to a hand hold in public spaces, etc. That’s part of the reason why I didn’t keep the Hadley Small – no carrying handle.

The advantage of the Hadley Pro’s carrying handle is it’s quite rigid, and it allows one to control the bag easily when maneuvering in a crowded situation (e.g. getting out of an elevator). The disadvantage with the Pro’s handle, is that the bag’s flap has to be anchored closed (the so-called Clog Balls) in order for the handle to be effective.

The A&A Oskar has a flexible strap that’s attached to the shoulder strap’s D-rings. Many of the Domke camera bags use a similar arrangement. The flexible handle isn’t as good for controlling the bag through a crowd. But the strap works just as well whether the flap is open or closed.

Back Pockets: both the Hadley Pro and the Oskar have them. The Hadley Pro is zippered and has a water proof flap. So it’s more secure than the Oskar. The Oskar uses a button to keep it secure and has no flap, so it makes it easier to stuff over sized envelopes or books for temporary storage than the Hadley Pro.

In both cases, I find the back pocket to be very, very useful in everyday life. Another reason why I didn’t like the Hadley Small – it didn’t have a back pocket.

Padding is decent in both bags. The main insert is removable and can be used in other bags. The Velcro vertical dividers are really handy. I also use the horizontal dividers from another Billingham bag. They have Velcro on one side, and stay unattached at the other. So it’s easy to flip them out of the way if you’re accessing a small lens below it.

The Hadley Pro is taller and wider than the Oskar. A Leica or mirrorless system doesn’t need all of the height. So if I know I want to carry additional soft goods in the winter like gloves or a crushable hat, I set up my Pro with shorter dividers, and leave the upper area available to stuff my gloves and hat.

The Oskar can still carry all of my gear, but won’t have any room to spare. Better for warmer months, when I’m not carrying extra things like gloves or a hat. It’s not much smaller than my Hadley Pro, yet it makes a big difference when it comes to ease of handling and doesn’t feel nearly as bulky as the Pro in a crowd.

f I have the 10-24mm or the 60mm mounted on the X-Pro1, I place the camera with the lens pointed down. The body sits on top of the two dividers, “hovering” about the silos. To avoid have the other lenses bumping directly into the body, I use those horizontal flaps on the lens silos to act as a buffer.

Hadley Pro: has that English fishing bag look. Completely silent to open and close, using those Clog Balls. Slower to use than Velcro though – not my first choice for fast moving street work. Better for looking sharp at a client meeting and having a completely silent bag if one is shooting at a solemn ceremony like a wedding.

Oskar: looks like a generic messenger bag. The Velcro flap secures as soon as it falls into place. For street work in a loud city, the sound of the Velcro closures being ripped open isn’t noticeable at all. I wouldn’t want to have to pull the bag open during a quiet business meeting, let alone something like a wedding.

Price: Not cheap in either case. The Hadley is made in England, the Oskar in Japan. On the other hand, the construction and quality of the materials is first rate for both. My Hadley’s longevity is proven after over a decade of almost daily use, still looks good (insert is in great shape too), so the high price is worthwhile. The Oskar is still new, but I suspect that it will be comparable in durability to the Hadley.

macabee   

Billingham Hadley Digital, for the X-Pro and EF-20 + bits & bobs. The Billingham Hadley large for the X-Pro, lenses and Yongnuo 560 II + bits & bobs and the kitchen sink!

I am using Pelican ProGear U160 Urban Elite Half Case Camera BackPack and found it online on SafetyKart.com It's waterproof, crushproof case and protects cameras and other sensitive equipment.

I have quite a few for various reasons.

Main EDC carry bag is a Maxpedition Versapak Mongo which I added a padded liner to. Can carry as much as my Nikon Df with up to 3 primes or 2 zooms if I need it it.

I also picked up a ThinkTank Turnstyle 5 for when I want a lighter grab and go pack. this has my Olympus OMD EM5 and three lenses in it(17/45 f/1.8 and 4-150/4-5.6.

For "big" days I have a Lowepro Slingbag AW302 and a Lowepro AW Trekker.

arnold_w   

For my Iceland trips in june and september this year I needed a more durable but small and light weighted bagpack, just large enough to hold al my gear. I also wanted a sling-bag and it must be weather resistant or include a rain sleeve and weighing less than 1.5kg.

I compared a lot of small bags, most of them were too heavy, to small, awkward or normal bag packs. I finaly ordered the Vanguard Up-Rise 43. It fits the X-T1 with an attached lens in the main compartment with 4 additional lenses and the X-E1 with attached 35mm lens + rocket blower in the upper compartment. All the filters (UV, pol, ND + complete Hitech filter set) are tucked away behind the large zipper. Four extra batteries + GPS in the side pocket and an Optech rain sleeve added to the rain coat pocket. There's room for a water bottle in the large side pocket.

My Ipad 3 didn't fit so I ordered a Nexus 7 II which will fit behind the large zipper.

Why not an iPad mini you ask? Because it's too expensive when I want the Retina version, has no GPS and no USB. The Nexus has a great screen with good contrast and very good brightness for outside usage as a remote. It has a USB connector so I can attach a portable hard drive for back-ups and it has GPS. Unfortunately the Apple lacks USB and GPS and cost almost twice as much.

The bag only weighs 1.22kg and is relatively cheap compared to other brands. It feels sturdy and has a good wearing comfort. Very easy/quick to acces camera side zipper.

9250777.jpg

review: http://www.shutterphoto.net/article/vanguard-up-rise-43-sling-camera-bag/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ShutterPhoto+%28Shutter+Photo%29&utm_content=Twitter

K1W1_Mk2   

I just had a browse around Filsons site. I reckon that they will be giving Billingham a real run for the money price wise if they want $300 for a straight messenger bag before they add the premium associated with the name Magnum or the royalties that they will have to pay Harvey or McCurry.

I think that these bags will fall into the fashion statement category for hard core Leica owners. :D