Lordcamel

What bags or camera bags are you using ?

127 posts in this topic

I just had a browse around Filsons site. I reckon that they will be giving Billingham a real run for the money price wise if they want $300 for a straight messenger bag before they add the premium associated with the name Magnum or the royalties that they will have to pay Harvey or McCurry.

I think that these bags will fall into the fashion statement category for hard core Leica owners. :D

^ Yeah, totally agree. I actually use a Filson with an insert already. It wasn't crazy money and the bag is indestructible... one of the best made bags I've owned, so looking forward to seeing how these turn out.

I have quite a few for various reasons.

Main EDC carry bag is a Maxpedition Versapak Mongo which I added a padded liner to. Can carry as much as my Nikon Df with up to 3 primes or 2 zooms if I need it it.

I also picked up a ThinkTank Turnstyle 5 for when I want a lighter grab and go pack. this has my Olympus OMD EM5 and three lenses in it(17/45 f/1.8 and 4-150/4-5.6.

For "big" days I have a Lowepro Slingbag AW302 and a Lowepro AW Trekker.

The Maxpedition line of sling packs seem rather interesting but even with their site photos, it is really hard to tell how large these bags are. Do you have any photos of your set up with the bag? Please share if yes.

I use a Hadley Digital and also the Billingham F 1.4.

Search eBay for a BBK-3 canvas messenger bag with padded camera insert. Cheap and fairly sturdy; mine is around half a year old and its holding up well. Doesn't look like a camera bag either.

I too have a Chinese BBK-3 canvas bag. Cheap, but well made... despite the common prejudices which are expressed by those who don’t own one.

The BBK is a camera bag that gives me all I really need, although, perhaps a little more space for another lens would have been nice (you can maybe squeeze another lens in for the purpose of traveling but then you can’t really take the lens out the camera quickly while shooting).

I don’t travel in the jungle, I live in a relatively temperate country. I don’t normally and voluntarily go out to take pictures during a storm.

I use it with a XE-1 body on which I mount the 10-24mm, most of the times, and have allocated half of the space for body and lens. The remaining half contains the 35mm and the 60mm macro. For the rest , in the internal pockets I have some cleaning implements and a magnifying lens with led light. In the outside pocket I have a polarizer 72mm and a cable shutter release.

For aesthetic reasons I would have loved a good leather camera bag but when I discovered that it could have costed me in excess of 400€ decided that I have better ways to spend my money and, at least for the time being I am passing on that one.

I'm currently using a Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 30 and Mirrorless mover 20. These are for my Fuji X-Pro kit and my E-P5 kit respectively.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/mirrorlessmover30i.aspx

I like them because they really are compact, and fit mirrorless cameras more snugly than those more designed for DSLR's. Not so much spare space or depth that are really designed to fit DSLR's better and otherwise I think just lead to more wasted space. Prior to the mirrorless mover, I mainly used a Crumpler 5 & 6 Million Dollar Bag, and a Thinktank Retrospective 20. I find the mirrorless mover's much better. Second to the Mirrorless mover's would the the Crumpler bag's which would be my next favorite. I preferred the Retrospective for larger cameras.

I have a, Fuji XE2, plus, 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200,Lenses.

I use a, Crumpler, Jackpack 4000, as my, Sunday morning out bag.

For day's out I use a Loweoro, Hatchback 22L.

Both these bags will accommodate my full outfit, including, spare batteries, cards, a remote and a couple of 72mm filters and adapter rings.

I have quite a few for various reasons.

Main EDC carry bag is a Maxpedition Versapak Mongo which I added a padded liner to. Can carry as much as my Nikon Df with up to 3 primes or 2 zooms if I need it it.

I also picked up a ThinkTank Turnstyle 5 for when I want a lighter grab and go pack. this has my Olympus OMD EM5 and three lenses in it(17/45 f/1.8 and 4-150/4-5.6.

For "big" days I have a Lowepro Slingbag AW302 and a Lowepro AW Trekker.

The Maxpedition line of sling packs seem rather interesting but even with their site photos, it is really hard to tell how large these bags are. Do you have any photos of your set up with the bag? Please share if yes.

I use a Hadley Digital and also the Billingham F 1.4.

Check out this link:

http://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com/2013/03/gear-organization-series-2-modifying.html

This one is a Versipak Jumbo and I've got my X-E1 and a second prime in it.

I bought a bigger one, the Mongo and it is twice that size, internally with the same layout. I can fit my Nikon Df with lens attached and 2 additional primes or my Tamron 70-300/4-5.6 zoom in there.

If we are talking mirrorless kit, the Mongo is capable of holding my Olympus OMD EM1 with lens attached as well as 3-4 primes or 2 zooms. I think you'd find that the Fuji mirrorless would be similar, especially with the primes. Should be able to get 3 in there easy.

I have a couple of Billingham's - Hadley Small and f2.8 I can get pretty much (but not all) of my gear in the 2.8 (X-T1, X-Pro1, 14,23,35,60 & 55-200, flash, filters etc) But it does get heavy.

The Hadley small can hold the X-Pro1 (no lens attached) and the X-T1 with big zoom attached and 2 more primes, or various variations depending what I want to take out.

One thing I will say about Billingham bags is the customer service, at least here in the UK. I contacted them recently about my umpteen year old bag splitting along seams and generally looking a bit knackered. Emailed Billingham and they told me to sed the bag in with just a cheque to cover the return postage. They repaired the bag and turned it round in just a couple of days, sent it back and put my cheque back in - not a penny charged - that is really excellent service - many thanks to Billingham

I have an ONA The Berlin, an expensive but well done bag. It can hold my X-T1 + 18-55 + 55-200 + 35 1.4 + iPad (Air or Mini) + many accessories.

@ MrG;

That's a very reassuring anecdote on Billingham's customer service. I've been purchasing their products for over 20 years, and none of my bags need repair yet, the quality is so good. Glad to hear Billingham will take care of their products when the time comes.

I too have a Timbuk2 bag but not the camera one. I found it to be severely lacking in pockets. so I got the d-lux which has great pockets inside for filters batteries, lens pen, etc. also slot for laptop and other things. then I bought the timbuk2 camera insert. great combination.

rain proof a must. which this bag is.

Hiya,

Just giving this thread a bump - Anyone else used any of the Kalahari Bags & Accessories (from Germany)? Any comments, advice, opinions based on experience?

Am looking for a nice compact shoulder bag that I can 'quick draw' my X-E2 out of and also carry 1-2 extra lenses, waterbottle, and some small accessories... Also a stylish or retro look would be an added bonus!

Was thinking something like their Orapa K-21, Molopo K-41i or Mata Mata K-6 (think the Mata Mata K-11 is a tad large for what I need but it has a useful waistbelt) and a Kaama leather carrying strap (for the wrist)...

As an aside the Kapako K-35 & especially the Kapako K-31 are damn cool bags - having seen them in person!

Like most of us, I imagine, I have several bags, My bag of the moment is a LowePro Passport Sling. Half price on Ebay, compared to UK retailers.

It's and over the head, sling bag. So you can pull it round in front of you, and pull your camera out etc.

When it's resting against your backside, it's quite comfortable to walk with, there is nothing to stop it swinging around on uneven terrain though, so one needs to be aware of that.

I normally carry three small lenses, plus one on the camera. If I unzip the adjustable back end, I can get loads of stuff in it. There are some small pockets inside, also.

It's green, and doesn't scream camera bag, and good value for money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowepro-Passport-Sling-DSLR-Camera-Photo-Carry-Shoulder-Bag-Case-Mica-/321312336476?pt=UK_Camera_Cases_Bags_Covers&hash=item4acfb52a5c

Thule CSC Covert - smart design allows it to be worn as a sling, waist pack or backpack. Perfect size for holding everyday carry items, plus an X100* + X series body/lens, for example.

92b6d330ad62da14ed4c0638ea0df66f.jpg

bf5d072419178b12b5716afb819568f4.jpg

Inner pouch is removable and has it's own flap/zipper enclosure - nice:

708e2406b62231c7a7ebc918386c1e88.jpg

Inner pouch can easily support an X100* + another X-series body/lens:

2a80a19709e2faf1d23dfd35ddaf99b3.jpg

Inner back pocket can hold an iPad Mini or similarly sized device:

2c5c1c2c49ffbcdc2fb99f54a5d7e172.jpg

Front pocket under front flap can hold wallet, kays, memory cards, and other small items:

b26b760d4d4b42a7e47a37b7e688713b.jpg

I am looking for a bag just small enough to fit my new XE2 with the 55-200mm lens

attached, and a space for the 18-55 lens,

Lowepro messenger 100 fits either body with 55-200mm fitted and 18-55 plus 14mm alongside or body with 18-55 fitted and 55-200mm alongside. Front zip and 2 elasticated side pockets for bits and pieces. The configuration shown is what I use for when the 55-200 is fitted - when I have 18-55 fitted I have the camera on its side. You can buy them cheaper than this ad. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowepro-Event-Messenger-100-Bag-for-DSLR-Camera-Black/271741086319?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D7fc287cfa89a48e68d2b9ede3178f257%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D9%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D251838491320

Started using Courierware custom messenger type bags. They manufacture a made-to-order photography bag called the Incognito.

http://courierbags.com/wp/product/incognito-camera-bag/

I first read about Courierware about 15 years ago on the Nemeng Leica site, and the company itself has been around for over 25 years. Privately owned, all the work is done in Vermont, USA. Reviews over the years talk of quality craftsmanship and durability of product.

I like my Fison Harvey Messenger and Billingham Hadley Pro. But I've always wanted want to specify the exact features and size to carry a very specific load. In this case, a small bag that can carry my two X-Pro1 bodies, with an XF 18mm and Touit 32mm mounted, both with hoods in place, so it's ready to shoot. Some small pockets to organize a minimum of accessories, but nothing else.

Courierware's Incognito Camera Bag comes in several sizes and I choose the Extra Small. There is a low, base price, and then their standard options add a small charge, or in the case of some options, they are free. I picked various options: shoulder pad, clips to close the flap without Velcro, additional pocket with closure inside, the stock padded insert with two dividers, Maroon front flap.

In addition, I asked for two, custom requests that wasn't on their menu - I requested that a back outer pocket be installed without a Velcro closure (no additional charge), and added d-rings (custom charge of $10) so I could use a carry handle from an old Domke bag. I prefer a separate carry handle of that style.

The bag was made within a week, and I received it the week after that via post, which is pretty fast as I don't live in the US.

Quality is outstanding and the Cordura looks like it will last decades, which fits in line with the reviews of some Courieware owners who've used their bags for nearly 20 years. They got all the details I asked for spot-on. And considering it was a custom bag, the price is very reasonable - about two-thirds the cost of stock Filson + Magnum or Billingham messenger style bag.

The best thing about the bag: it's the exact size that I need and has all of the features I want, without compromise. Great purchasing experience, and an even greater end result.

Note: I paid full price for the bag as a normal customer, and I have no affiliation with Courierware. Simply thought I would share a positive experience.

My very old, relatively cheap, long-discontinued Nikon Small Canvas bag is near-perfect

for my x-cam uses: X100S+XE1 and 18-55 and XM1 with 27mm. Good-size end pockets with

closures and drop-in pockets on the back for all manner of flat bits and pieces.

The canvas strap is amply wide for the load and very supple so there is no need for

a pad.

As with most things 'What Bag' is a personal thing. Depending on the kit carried, for minimal use ie camera 2 lenses, flash, batteries etc, I will use a Domke F803/ ThinkTank mirrorless mover 30i, if more kit is needed then a Billingham Hadley Large.

I have to say the Domke is more inconspicuous and an excellent bag

I solved the bag problem.

I bought the WCL and TCL for the X100s. Now my "bag" is any light jacket which has a pocket. (Review, here: http://bit.ly/1GWf0Bq. Most of the pix I took for the Iran piece (http://bit.ly/1GTrkrn) were with this kit. I used the X-E1 only with an 8mm Rokinon on it for a few shots.)

Especially for working in sensitive environments, the X100s with these two optics is nearly impossible to beat.

on the rare occasions when I'm compelled to carry a bag (pockets are all I need for batteries and SD cards) I have a pink diaper/bottle carrybag, printed all over with My Little Ponies, that works perfectly. Nicely compartmentalized, padded, strapped; it's relatively weather proof and nobody is ever going to try and steal it.