Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuji X100 & X10 Thumb Grip - HorusBennu TG-1 $45 Thumbs Up Clone

67 posts in this topic

Posted

A very interesting accessory just hit the market from HorusBennu, a Korean camera accessory manufacturer, that I think a lot of people have been waiting for. It is a HorusBennu TG-1 hot shoe thumb grip, an accessory similar in design to the MatchTechnical Thumbs Up grip. The TG-1 appears to be a bit more 'generic' in design and ergonomics, suitable for an array of compact cameras, but it is clearly well suited for the X100 and new X10. Best of all it's only $45 USD, well below the cost of a Thumbs Up. Available on eBay in silver or black.

HorusBennu TG-1 Fuji X100 thumb grip

I've just purchased a black one to try out on my new X10 and review here on the forum. It looks to be very promising, as if they designed it specifically with the X100 in mind. I'm a big fan of my Thumbs Up EP-5S, it truly improves the ergonomics of the X100, but the cost can be difficult to justify. At this price however, the HorusBennu TG-1 seems like a worthwhile purchase. I've really been missing the thumb grip when using my X10 too, so the timing is right!

Posted

Interesting, and certainly more reasonably priced! In the photos it looks like it sticks out a bit further from the back of the camera than the ThumbsUp, and may be a bit more likely to snag on things? I did splurge on the ThumbsUp, and I justify the expense by the great improvement to the ergonomics, for me anyway (I have ongoing issues with tendonitis, so anything like a ThumbsUp is a godsend for me). But a lower priced alternative on the market is really good to see.

Posted

Just bought it, I do agree that it looks like it may stick out a bit more but this may help protect the display should the camera tip over backward. I will let you know my thoughts once it arrives.

Posted

I want one too...will be interesting to see how you guys like it! I wonder if price will drop more just like the lens hood + adapter ring! I paid $50 when the copy version first came out... now it is only $9.98! ebay link

Posted

I am lucky that my large hands combined with the design of the Zhou half case means that I don't have problems holding the X100 however I can see the usefullness of this type of accessory. My main consern with this particular design is that it looks as if it will put a lot of twisting stress on the hot shoe. Am I over critical?

Posted

I don't understand the appeal of this. It seems like it'll be in the way of the shutter speed dial all the time, although I guess you could still use your index finder but still.

Posted

i will be looking at this , i tried the orig thumbs up for the x 100 for a few minutes and its awesome , i will not be buying one everatthe retail price , this however is a possability

Posted

persiyan, I've never understood the thumbs up, either. It also blocks the manual focus lock button. I can't think of conditions I personally could use it in.

Posted

I've never found mine to get in the way of anything on my X100, but I suppose we all handle our cameras differently.

The HorusBennu grip does appear to sweep upward and slightly away from the camera, different from the rather compact Thumbs Up EP-5S that fits in my X100 full leather case without needing to be removed. I'll be able to offer a direct comparison once mine arrives from Korea.

That difference should make it fit the Fuji X10 quite well though, I tried fitting the Leica X1 CSEP-2 Thumbs Up grip on the X10 and it bumps into the control dial, despite feeling great to handle, and the EP-5S is too thick to fit in the X10 hot shoe.

Posted

Mine shipped out today, hopefully I'll have it within two weeks!

Posted

I saw the black versions ran out pretty quick

Posted

They are selling very fast, but they seem to have replenished their stock already. Shipping from Korea to the US is pretty slow, but much faster to the EU and elsewhere, we should see some early reviews showing up in a week or so!

Posted

yeah I noticed earlier.

for my replacement X100 Imm be getting black lens hood and I think black thumbs up will go well.

Posted

I ordered mine today. I have the Gariz half case that certainly helps with handling but this should make a big difference for me. If I don't get on with it I can easily pass it on as someone here will want mine especially as it will be in the UK. Anyway I'll report my findings.

Posted

Have the ThumbsUp from Match Technical and it's amazing. After about 5 seconds of use, you forget it's there. It's just good. Mark2000, I have no idea what you're talking about and I use my x100 in MF mode all of the time. It blocks nothing, but maybe I just hold my camera weird or something. Really cool that now you have two options. I'd love to feel the difference between the two.

Christopher, do you have access to a TU grip so that you can compare them?

Posted

Looks like I will be ordering one to try. At least the cost is not that prohibitive.

Posted

@collierportraits I have a Thumbs Up EP-5S to compare this to on the X100.

Posted

Hi Chris. Will be good to see side by side comparisons.

Posted

Christopher, you are saving me a lot of cash.

I got my half case, the lens hood and adapter and now the TU all from your recommendations.

Thank you so much!

Posted

A favor, please...

If anyone that has one of these also has an M6, could you please give it a try for fit? I frequently use my M6 with a RW or a Motor M and could use the security and control that comes with a thumbrest.

Posted

You're very welcome @Andre! Happy to help :)

Posted

Just recieved one of these for the Fuji X10.

some crappy, mobile phone, pix of it on my X10:

HorusBennu TG-1 on Fujifilm X10

HorusBennu TG-1 thumb grip on Fuji X10

Well made, smooth finish with no snags, etc. Butts right up to the mode dial but doesn't actually touch/foul it. First impressions - wow what a difference. I like to carry the X10 with just a wrist strap and without this I never knew quite where to put my thumb - this solves that problem. Also helps when taking photos - enables a more stable hand-hold. I think I like it :)

Posted

@DArmand looks good and just makes me more impatient for a replacement X100 >[

Posted

@DArmand I updated your links to post your photos directly, thank you so much for sharing! It looks like it suits the X10 quite well. I've been missing having a thumb grip on my X10 after getting used to a Thumbs Up on my X100, I can't wait to get my HB TG-1!

Posted

Hey thanks for fixing my links :)