Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuji X10 - Dark brown cases are out!

59 posts in this topic

Posted

The light tan ones don't look that good for the black X10 IMHO, have been holding out for a black version. But this dark brown one looks dark enough and may look pretty good next to the X10, kind of a vintage dark brown leather look, so the whole outfit doesn't look too 'black'. I just bought one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180775119148#ht_2910wt_941

Posted

Those do look a lot nicer!

Fujifilm X10 leather case

Posted

I have issues with it:

1. no tripod screw to hold it on? So, it's held on only at the strap lugs? If so, not good.

2. need to take it off to get to battery/card compartment? Not good.

3. I would like the back of it to have a horizontal piece right above the LCD as in a half-case so it can be used like that.

Hey, for this little money it's worth it but I'll wait for something better - and cheap! :)

Posted

I just purchased one from this seller on eBay. It costs a little bit more money, but it ships from the US so I'll receive it before the holidays. I'll be reviewing it here on the blog.

@artm, I use a similarly designed real leather case on my X100, they don't need a tripod screw to keep them secure, they fit snug enough as they are, and the camera strap will prevent it from falling off if it were loose.

I'm happy to have a full case for my X10 so I can carry it in my bag without worrying about it getting beat up. I'll only use the top half for transportation.

Posted

Just ordered the dark brown variant :)

I've been using the light brown one for a while now and have been pretty impressed by the quality for such a low cost item. It has the annoyances as previously posted, that you have to take it off to open the battery slots etc, but it fits nicely and protects the camera from any bumps. Of course, it's not real leather but it feels quite good and even has the fake leather smell ;) I only use the top half for transportation and not for every day use.

The dark brown one looks to be identical in quality so looking forward to trying it out. I'll post some pictures when i receive it.

Posted

Thanks for the preview review @HFM! I'm guessing you were just unimpressed with the light brown color of your case? How do you like the shoulder strap that it comes with?

Posted

waiting for mine to arrive, shouldn't be too long now.

the battery/SD compartment access, well that's not a new issue. i bought the knock off one for my X100 when they came out and i have managed all this time. maybe one day i'll splurge on one with a cut out.. but for the X10, with its lower price point i just don't think its worth it to spend on a more expensive case. the X100 is a different story..

Posted

jac: I was amazed at the prices of Fuji accessories for the X10. What are they thinking charging over $100 for a case for a $600 camera?!

I'm sure they'll get equally greedy if they offer 40mm filters.

Idiots!

Posted

that's why there is a market for these cheaper knock offs. honestly, they are quite well made, except around the lugs where on my X100 version its torn just a little, but hey its not real leather, but we all know going by the low price! the sewing, workmanship is pretty dam good, you even get the FUJIFILM logo stamp, yes infringing copyright and all, and sometimes free shipping included to boot - what is there to complain? the fuji OEM case is surely not 4-5X better than these cheaper versions, that's for sure.

with the 40mm filter size, people are just getting step-up rings and fitting larger, easier to source filters

Posted

I just purchased one from

this seller on eBay

. It costs a little bit more money, but it ships from the US so I'll receive it before the holidays. I'll be reviewing it here on the blog.

@artm, I use a similarly designed real leather case on my X100, they don't need a tripod screw to keep them secure, they fit snug enough as they are, and the camera strap will prevent it from falling off if it were loose.

I'm happy to have a full case for my X10 so I can carry it in my bag without worrying about it getting beat up. I'll only use the top half for transportation.

Thanks for info. I just ordered one tonight and won't get it until after the holidays. I paid a little extra too to ensure it came from a US seller. Nothing against the Chinese, but I didn't want to wait up to three weeks. Let me know what you think after you receive yours.

Posted

I received mine this afternoon and just finished installing the camera strap and case. My initial impressions quite good! It looks great, considerably better than the synthetic leather X100 case I previously reviewed. The synthetic leather has a nice soft feel to it with an authentic looking leather pattern. The stitching also looks very nice, it's on par with some higher end real leather cases I've handled. The camera strap matches as well and has a nice tan velvet interior lining.

The case fits well and the camera lugs have ample room for attaching camera straps with or without the protective pads in place. One interesting thing to note is that the case successfully fits over top of the camera with the HorusBennu thumb grip installed. It's as if there's some extra room inside the top of the case, so it can clear thumb grips and large soft releases.

I'll try to offer a more thorough review in the near future!

Posted

great to hear Chris! -- still waiting for mine, looking at pics from both ebay sellers the cases look very similar - most likely from the same factory in china..

Posted

Yeah, they're from the exact same factory, I think you'll be pleased. I was pretty happy with my X100's synthetic leather case, and this one is leaps ahead in quality.

Posted

in what respect(s)? better fit, more snug, better stitching, better materials/workmanship?

Posted

All of those things really. It's not the most snug fit, but it's appropriate.

Posted

btw, do you have to rip out the bottom padding like the X100 one?

Posted

Nope, not at all, it fits great.

Posted

great. no surgery for my impending arrival then..

Posted

ok, mine arrived today, as Chris said - its well made sewing wise, colour and around the lugs. however the sides at the back are not fully covered, almost a slit like opening, doesn't help I have the TG-1 thumb grip which is most likely pushing the back out a little, still i reckon without it the case design still suffers from not a complete cover on the back at the sides

Posted

I feel like the TG-1 sticks out the same amount as the eyepiece on the viewfinder, which is why the case can fit with it still installed. But as you said, there is a slight gap between the back of the top case and the camera, there's certainly potential for the camera to get dusty. I believe Fujifilm's own case fits the same however.

Posted

Fuji's case designers or whoever they use to design them -- suck.

Naturally, it's most likely the factories doing these knock offs just copy the Fuji Case 1 for 1. :-S

But will say that the dark brown is just great, like a dark chocolate, goes really well with the X10 and the half case alone on itself is so far faultless

Posted

Haha, this is getting ridiculous :D When the first light brown cases came out, i ordered them right away. Then the dark brown came out and i ordered them too! Now i see the black one and want it too. But no..enough is enough :)

Posted

@HFM what about send me the ones you don't use... ;)