Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Batteries, Chargers, & Power Management - FinePix X100 User Guide

It's happened to us all, you're out with your camera, in the middle of a photo shoot, a party, or off on a long exploration, and your camera flashes a low battery warning moments before dying. While some of us may have gotten used to big DSLR battery packs that last for days, sometimes over 1000+ shots, the compact X100 offers a much shorter battery life. During active use one can expect approximately 200-300 shots from their X100, per battery, with more on the high end if you utilize power saving settings.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 battery and charger

Whether you've recently received your camera or are still considering purchasing one, this guide offers advice on the Fujifilm FinePix X100's battery life, power saving settings, and battery charging.

Power Management

The X100 offers three power management options, allowing you to choose between performance or longer battery life.

1. First is "Auto Power Off" which will power the camera down after a set interval, 2 minutes by default, if no operations are performed. Unless you need your camera to be immediately responsive, this is a good option to leave ON.
  2. Second is "Quick Start Mode" which reduces camera startup time to about 0.7 seconds, compared to about 2.2 seconds when OFF is selected, but at the expense of battery life. This is turned OFF by default.
  3. Third is "OVF Power Save Mode" which will automatically power down the optical view finder's information display to nearly double battery life. One downside to turning this ON is that it will increase the time required for auto-focus to about 0.4 seconds, compared to about 0.2 seconds when OFF is selected.

If you're unsure what settings to choose, it's best to try experimenting with the power saving features to see if they're compatible with your shooting style. With "Quick Start Mode" turned OFF, you may miss photo opportunities while waiting for your camera to 'wake up'. It can take approximately 3 seconds for your camera to become available again, after depressing the shutter button. If you're on a long trip and need to conserve battery life, consider temporarily utilizing these features. Check the Power Management section of your X100 manual for more details.

Spare Camera Batteries

Now that you know what to expect from your X100's battery, consider carrying a spare or two. Their compact size and light weight make them easy to slip into a pocket while out on a shoot, perfect when you want to leave your camera bag behind. There are two options available for spare batteries, an OEM Fujifilm NP-95 battery, or a third party equivalent. Some people prefer to use original manufacturer equipment only with their camera; Fujifilm's NP-95 batteries are available from Fuji dealers, thought they are currently in short supply. Others find OEM batteries to be too expensive and opt for compatible 3rd party batteries.

Fujifilm NP-95 Batteries

Dozens of different companies and brands are offering Fuji X100 compatible batteries, prices ranging from $6 to $25 USD on eBay, it can be tough to know which to choose. First and foremost, if you find a deal you like, search for any user reviews of the battery you're considering. Higher quality batteries often feature battery cells manufactured in Japan, while the batteries themselves are often assembled in China. Personally I own two MaximalPower batteries that I've been satisfied with.

Battery Chargers

When it comes to charging your batteries, the Fujifilm charger included in the box will work fine, even with 3rd party batteries. That's not to say Fuji's charger is particularly good, but there are a few easy things that you can do to make it better.

If you've ever been spoiled by a camera battery charger with a built-in plug, you'll be frustrated to find that the X100 comes with a 4 foot long power cable that connects to the charger. These long cables make traveling with your battery charger a hassle, especially with a small camera bag, and can be a frustrating around the house if you don't have free space near an outlet. Fortunately Fuji's charger uses a standard connector, which happens to be shared with Apple's own charger's compact plugs. If you own an iPod, iPad, MacBook, Powerbook, iBook, or nearly any Apple portable charger from the past, you already own this part!

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Battery Charger Portability Hack

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Battery Charger Portability Hack

This solution also works with all international Apple adaptors. If you don't already own one, you can purchase them cheaply online, $1 on eBay, or use other compatible C7 plug adaptors.

You may have noticed that Fujifilm's battery charger includes a small black plastic clip on the right side of the battery bay that can sometimes be easily dislodged. This clip is an adaptor that allows Fuji to use the same charger for many different battery models. If you're having trouble with yours staying in put, you're best off supergluing it in place. You don't want to be traveling with your camera and loose this part!

Fujifilm NP-95 Chargers

If you're looking for a secondary or alternative NP-95 battery charger, there are a few to choose from. Fujifilm's replacement BC-65N charger offers an improvement over the one included, it has a folding plug, but it costs $99! The least expensive option offers a built-in plug and a DC car adaptor, as cheap as $4 USD on eBay. One kit even includes a USB charger.

If you have any tips or advice on batteries, chargers, or power saving techniques, feel free to share in the comments below!

I find having the power off set to two minutes, keep the quick start on, and the OVF Power save mode set to off, is the best compromise. And have at least two batteries on hand.

Welcome to the community @Trollhunter! I agree with you there, those are my favored settings as well. Auto Power Off isn't so bad with Quick Start Mode turned on, I never remember to turn off my camera when I'm not using it.

I always keep a spare battery in my pocket if I'm going to be out shooting for awhile, just in case. It's saved me on at least 3 occasions in the last month.

good article. I would like to add that 3rd party batteries with much higher capacity such as my ITTOU battery from japan with 5800mAh can last a day with quick start and no other power saving. I would highly recommend one to get extra batteries.

Today i went to turn on my camera and for some reason it wouldnt turn on , Im not sure if it was a flat battery but the battery indicator was on full ?

I bought some spare batterys myself at only £5.29p each of e-bay . Plus one other thing , can anyone tell me what the adapter is called on the first image , looks like a USA plug type to that 2 plug adaptor that fits staight onto the charger itself ?

Cheers

Carl

It's a plug adaptor from an Apple charger. This part fits the Fuji charger so you can plug it directly into the wall, instead of using the long cable. The one pictured is a US plug, but you can use any Apple plug adaptor that works in your country. You can find them cheap on eBay: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=apple+plug&_sop=15

Thank you, Christopher. Well worth noting.

Personally I find the battery level indicator a little misleading on the battery that shipped with my X100.

I get three bars for the majority of the time (not had it long enough to say how many shots but it’s perhaps 90% or more of the operation time) and once the level drops to two, the charge very rapidly goes to one red bar and then almost instantly dies.

Yeah, I'd say that's one of the X100's quirks! That red battery indicator pops up out of nowhere and the camera dies within a few seconds. Yet another wish for firmware improvement :)

Yeah, I'd say that's one of the X100's quirks! That red battery indicator pops up out of nowhere and the camera dies within a few seconds. Yet another wish for firmware improvement

:)

I had that as a surprise today, mind you not charged the X100 since I got it on Tuesday. My D90 though seems to go for weeks without charging.

I just got my camera this morning. What is the thinking on using a mobile power pack with the camera to charge the battery in the field. I bought it for my iphone but it states that I can recharge or power all of my devices with it, however, this x100 is not just any device!

Thanks for the response.

It is usb. On the charger side it is usb and then it has other connectors that can be put onto the cord. Is the usb NP-95 charger for sale somewhere? I will google it to see. I would have to use the usb cable that came with the camera. Would it possibly recharge the battery while inside the camera?

You can't charge the battery in the camera, but this USB charger on eBay simply clamps onto the battery, and then you can plug it into the USB port on a computer or your mobile power pack to charge it. Take a look here:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=NP-95+usb+battery+charger

I was wondering what 3rd party charger do you use? If you use one. I am thinking about getting a maximalpower battery based on what you wrote above and the decent reviews it got on amazon. However, I am not sure which charger to get and wanted to know which one you use and your experience.

Welcome to the community @californialum! I just use the stock Fujifilm charger that came with my camera, along with the Apple plug adaptor pictured above so I can plug it directly into the wall.

I'm just wondering if everyone is supergluing the plastic clip to their charger. Has anyone done this and wished they hadn't? Just wondering if there is any reason not to do this. Thought I'd ask before I pull out the superglue. It seems like Fuji would have done this themselves.

On another note, Christopher: you have one rockin forum here. Thank you for the time you've put into this. Its a wonderful resource!

I have glued it. It is the only Fuji battery type (NP-95) I have so I don't expect to use this charger for any other type of Fuji batteries. If I buy another Fuji camera it will come with its own charger.