Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maximebarber

Fuji batteries

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone !

I am going hiking for a whole week with my fuji x100s(without the possibility to recharge my batteries), and as you probably know, the battery of a fuji lasts about 5 minutes. What are the best solutions for shooting a whole week with my x100s ? I already have two third party spare batteries but they have an even shorter life span ! I am used to shooting film on long trips such as these, so this is new to me !

Thank you for your help !

I have 2 STK (Sterling tek, from Amazon) batteries that give me the same life as the Fuji one, at a fraction of the cost (1/6th). I'm in the (bad) habit of switching off my x-s1 after each couple of shots, and switching off the lcd entirely. Bad habit since I think I'll wear out the switch eventually ... anyway I get 800+ shots from each battery, and I've gone a full weekend of camping (3 nights / 4 days) on a single battery with viewing photos on the lcd at night. Video will most definitely eat the battery more... I guess carryinng a 1 m^2 solar panel and inverter along on the hike won't cut it... Maybe pick your shots / clips more critically before switching on the camera? You get 10000 mAh power banks that weigh around 1.5 pounds that are equivalent to 5 battery charges for me, that have usb output... how you get 5v to charge 3.7v is up for debate... anyone?

If you are in USA then Wasabi batteries are very well thought of - can't get them here in UK. There are various chargers - solar for instance or battery packs but they all seem bigger and heavier than carrying extra spares,

The Wasabi batteries have been excellent to me (I never notice them draining any faster than the Fuji brand one) and are extremely cheap. If I was in the habit of going multiple days without power I'd just buy an extra 2-4 of them and charge them all up beforehand. It's simple, integrates with what you already have and probably won't take up any more space or cost more than some kind of USB->wallcharger contraption would.

The X100T is a clear winner in this challenge because it can charge over USB, so you just need a nice high-capacity USB battery which you need anyway for smartphones etc. It was a real bummer to learn that the feature didn't make it into the X-T10 (and thus might not be in other non X100 cameras that come out next). Hopefully it was an oversight and X-T10 will be the last non-USB-charging Fuji camera.

One battery per day for 7 days is 245 gms (35gm per battery x 7) or 1/2 of one lb.

and cost last time I looked $72.00 (6 x $12, you get one battery free with the camera).

The solar panel and the charger cost around $88 based on the Amazon prices and weigh a bit over one lb so the price and weight comparison is fairly line ball really.

Here is the catch.

If you take the spare batteries you are guaranteed a couple of hundred shots every day regardless of weather conditions (lets just assume that you have to take a couple of hundred shots every day on a hike).

If you use the solar charger it takes four hours in perfect sunlight to recharge one battery. Perfect sunlight occurs when there is no cloud the sun is close to directly overhead and the solar panel is correctly aligned to the sun and is adjusted as the sun moves. In other words you will need to stay stationery for 4 hours in the middle of each day in a clear area with no cloud, shadow or rain to charge one battery. What happens if it rains or is cloudy for a couple of days? What happens if your companions for some strange reason don't want to stop walking in the middle of the day for four hours?

Your choice but imo solar for these sort of applications does not stack up. If you are camped at a location for a couple of days then great (maybe) but if you are on the move forget it. My choice you be probably four batteries and one of those brick battery packs referred to above or if weight was an issue 7 or so batteries.

1 person likes this

I've had good results over the past 2 years with Watson batteries that I purchased through Amazon or BH Photo (can't recall which place I got them from).  

I have 10 batteries that i use across 2 camera bodies when I shoot weddings.  4 are Fuji and 6 are Watson.  I can't tell which battery I'm using as I work through the day. I find I burn through 3 batteries in one body and 1.5 - 2 batteries in the other body (simply because I'm using one body more than the other) at a 10hr wedding gig.  I rarely do large bursts/high volume ... when I take a pic my goal is I'm taking one and that one is the keeper and I don't chimp very often.  That helps the battery life.  But I do bring all 10 with me to have extra.

For the low cost, the Watson have been great.  And from what I've heard the Wasabi seem equally as good.