Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fujifilm EF-20 & EF-42 Shoe Mount TTL Flashes

47 posts in this topic

Posted

Availability of Fujifilm's official flash units for the FinePix X100 has been improving this week, with both the EF-20 TTL Flash and EF-42 TTL Flash in stock at Amazon US for $149 and $230 respectively.

Fijifilm EF-20 show mount TTL flash for FinePix X100Fijifilm EF-42 show mount TTL flash for FinePix X100

I am admittedly not very familiar with flash photography, it's only something I'm beginning to explore. Does anyone have any experience with either of these flash units? I believe @leitztozeis has an EF-20 - have you had many opportunities to use yours?

Fujifilm X100 in case with flash

Posted

The EF-42 works well with the camera. TTL exposures are good. The flash integrates well with the camera. The camera can control the flash on and off, and it only fires under the same circumstances that the internal flash would. Only criticism is that its large size unbalances the camera - takes a little getting used to.

Posted

If you want to get a flash. Get the most powerful one. It is easier for a flash to control the power but impossible to increase the power beyond its capability so it will be the 42 for me.

As for imbalance, either work with it or get a wireless TTL trigger. This camera is after all mainly for street.

Posted

Is there a wireless TTL trigger that works with the 42 and the x100?

Posted

is there any third party flashes avaiable for the X100 ?

Posted

Not yet @CarlGorse, but you can use virtually any flash with the X100, you just won't have TTL available.

Posted

I went ahead and bought the EF 42. I like what it does so far. I was also pleasantly surprised at the subtlety of the camera's own flash too. Not bad.

Posted

i think i'll get the ef20 when i finally get my x100. handy to shove in a pocket, to shove on at any time.

Posted

Third party: I tested my Canon Speedlite 580EX II quickly and it flashes nicely. Yes, it is allso quite big for X100, but... :)

Posted

Jhalmu, I suppose one need to manually control the flash output on the Canon 580EX, right?

Posted

Maeby so, I just used ETTL mode. Have to test more later.

Posted

The Fujifilm x100 seems quite a versatile camera. On Flickr I saw some knockout portraits, macro work, and documentary, demonstrating its flexibility. I do like to use a bit of fill flash when it fits my needs, if it doesn't call attention to itself, unless that's the point. But I subscribe to Christopher's advice above. If you can work without TTL advantage, here's how I use non-dedicated flash units off-camera. Though it looks as if the Canon 580II must work in Manual mode in the hot shoe for Jhalmu above.

Lately I've used small, inexpensive triggers (Internet search "flash triggers" and you'll see Phil Steele has a nice video on various triggers and their +'s and -"s. I bought a Phottix Strato transmitter/receiver that works quite well on Sigma DP's, my Leica D-Lux4, with Nikon, Vivitar, Canon, Metz flash units set on Manual and at a certain power setting. Yes, it will require some preliminary work figuring out what power setting/distance/flash effect you want to use with the non-dedicated flash/x100 match-up. But if you stick with one flash unit with your triggers you'll get used to what power setting works best for what distances and how much fill flash you want. I have a shelf of excellent non-Fuji flash units, so I really am not in the market for one of the new Fuji flash units, pretty as they are. I want to get the most out of the various powerful or medium power units I already have. NOTE: Phottix units are among a number of good triggers at a reasonable price.

Posted

i tried it with 430exII last night, seems the TTL control is not bad. i used the "external flash (command)" on

Posted

Pelixiano, did you the 430exII on the hotshot?

Posted

typo, but maybe you mean i put the 430ex on the hotshoes ? yes its at hotshoes, TTL works fine (not E-TTL)

Posted

I bought YONGNUO's speedlite YN467 (for Canon). It's light and cheap with TTL. First impressions are good.

Posted

This is interesting, Canon compatible flashes work with the X100's TTL metering?

Posted

Would someone post pics of the x100 with the ef-42 attached please? I want the strongest flash possible but I'm not sure if the ef-42 is overkill on the x100. It looks as big as the camera. :/

Posted

@christopher - I thought it HAS to be Fuji for TTL afaik the Canon or Nikon TTL isn't compatible - Im prepared to be wrong though.

Im not keen on either roy these Fuji flashes tbh, they both seem to overwhelm the camera and aren't in keeping with the retro style, would be sweet if Fuji did retro style flashes for it or a 3rd party manufacturer with compatible TTL maybe.

Posted

Can someone please post a picture of the EF-42 attached please? Can't seem to find a single photo anywhere on the web.

Posted

@purethanol - searched on FLickr

Fuji X100 and EF42 flash

Posted

Kind of related, here's my dads OLD flash on my X100. Looks pretty nice but the flash has literally NO controls. It just fires, so its not hugely useful. THough Im impressed it still works 20+ years (maybe more). Oh, and theres still a protective film over the flash make/model label ;)

My dads old flash (literally NO controls) on my X100.

Posted

@mattmaber - Oh nice. Thanks for the photos! That cobra looks pretty sweet on the x100, too bad it's not as functional cause it looks better than the ef42.

Posted

I did a off camera flash with some simple wireless triggers with my old canon metz flash and it works.

Posted

So if the fuji supports TTL to canon - a simple wireless trigger should be all that's needed in order to use a 430 ex ii - correct? What would one be missing using TTL vs E-TTL, would the canon flash be left in E-TTL mode?

I'm very interested in being able to hand hold the camera in one hand and flash in another,or position in a portable light stand with shoot through umbrella, but - I also already happen to have a 430 ex ii that I never got around to learning with my canon dslr.

I was wondering if the st-e2 clone would work to trigger the flash whilst retaining TTL.

Thanks for the info.. first post here!