RichardCFrost

Canon FD 50mm f1.4

11 posts in this topic

Got this lens for Christmas. Cost £75 and is in excellent condition. Makes an awesome portrait lens with phenomenally shallow depth of field at f1.4. Here are some shots of my dogs, Sadie and Susie.

SadieThoughtful SadieSusie on a cushionSusie

Edited by RichardCFrost

G'day Richard. Done the same. Bought the same lens off Ebay. Still in box, never used. Ordered it, then got a bit worried about it. Thinking it mat have fungus growth or sticky blades. It duly arrived and was perfect! Never used after about 39 years and still in a box with original paperwork. You can see the rose photo that I have posted in the nature gallery of this forum. Couldn't want anything better!

I think the adapted lenses are the way to go, as it is better on the bank account too. I also bought a Nikon  105mm F2.8 micro lens as well, using a fotodiox adapter. For the Canon FD 1.4 lens I have a K&F Concept adapter. Both are perfect. My camera is a Fuji X Pro1. Happy new year to the forum members!!

1 person likes this

Interesting artical and I love the pictures of the dogs, they look great. I just obtained a K&F concept to use my Canaon FD lenses on the Fuji XT 1. I am having a hard time firing shutter. I can focus correctly etc but cannot fire the shutter. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 person likes this

Have you set your camera to shoot without lens? You need to do this as there is no electrical connection between the XT-1 and the Canon Lens. I think this should sort you out.

1 person likes this

In shooting menu #3 - "Shoot without lens" turn on. Don't forget there is no electrical connection between camera and lens so the camera thinks there is no lens fitted. You can leave this on permanently - I don't really know why it's there since the camera recognises when a Fuji lens is fitted and overrides it. In the setting above you'll see "Mount adapter setting", here you can enter the focal length (some are preset) This is for your exif/image  info only so it's up to you but if you only use one lens you can enter it and leave it even if you swap lenses.

I have K&F concept and also Fotodiox and Kipon. K&F is the best of all and very reasonably priced.

1 person likes this

I have 2 of the 50mm/F2 FD from my grandfathers old camera bag.  Both perform great on my XT2.

2 people like this

Even with a nearly full kit of Fuji primes and 2 Fuji zooms I still like to use my old Minolta Rokkor (5), Olympus Zuiko (3) and new (35-40yr old) Canon FD 300mm f4L lens + X1.4 & X2.0 TCs.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, veejaycee said:

Even with a nearly full kit of Fuji primes and 2 Fuji zooms I still like to use my old Minolta Rokkor (5), Olympus Zuiko (3) and new (35-40yr old) Canon FD 300mm f4L lens + X1.4 & X2.0 TCs.

i still use my DSLRs regularly too and have no plans to dispose of them and their lenses.

If any Fujiphiles object I don't care.

2 people like this

On 3/9/2017 at 10:14 PM, farrell said:

i still use my DSLRs regularly too and have no plans to dispose of them and their lenses.

If any Fujiphiles object I don't care.

I never understood why anyone would object to something like that.  But it happens.  

I could give a rats-ass what someone uses.  I don't own shares in any of the companies with a personal effort to push people to that brand to strengthen their market share, and thus the stock value.  Many people seem to lack confidence in their decisions and need re-assurance from others that they made the right choice or lash out at them for not following what they did.  Odd human behavior.

1 person likes this

On 3/14/2017 at 10:18 AM, AdamW said:

I never understood why anyone would object to something like that.  But it happens.  

I could give a rats-ass what someone uses.  I don't own shares in any of the companies with a personal effort to push people to that brand to strengthen their market share, and thus the stock value.  Many people seem to lack confidence in their decisions and need re-assurance from others that they made the right choice or lash out at them for not following what they did.  Odd human behavior.

When on a branded forum it's important to respect that;personally, a photographic "community" should be

about photography, not a brand. 

1 person likes this

On 3/17/2017 at 3:14 PM, farrell said:

When on a branded forum it's important to respect that;personally, a photographic "community" should be

about photography, not a brand. 

Agreed!