Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fujifilm X Mount Lens Road Map 2012-2013

95 posts in this topic

Posted

Update! Fujifilm officially announces the 2012-2013 lens roadmap in the image below:

Fujifilm X-Mount lens road map 2013

Fujifilm has announced their X Mount lens roadmap for 2012 and 2013 at CES, but didn't share any specific details. It is believed there will be at least six more lenses coming, and all zoom lenses will feature a built-in image stabilization system.

Fuji X-Pro1 lenses

X Mount Lenses at launch:

- 18mm f/2.0 pancake

- 35mm f/1.4

- 60mm f/2.4 Macro

These are the lenses coming in fall of 2012:

- 14mm f/2.8

- 18-72mm f/4.0 with IS

These are the lenses coming in 2013:

- 28mm f/2.8 pancake

- 23mm f/2.0

- 72-200mm f/4.0 IS

- 12-24mm f/4.0 IS

Via Focus Numérique

Posted

So, no 23mm, 35mm equivalent before 2013. This let some space for an X200, renewed, Trans-X CMOS, oldstyle, better back, better firmware...

Posted

So, no 23mm, 35mm equivalent before 2013. This let some space for an X200, renewed, Trans-X CMOS, oldstyle, better back, better firmware...

My thoughts as well. The X100 will have to be updated somehow simply from a marketing point of view and they have left the opening in the lens range for that to happen.

Posted

I will certainly continue shooting with the X100. Nothing on the planet does fill-flash better. I expect the X-Pro1 focal plane shutter to be fairly quiet, but nothing can match the X100 for quiet. For traveling light, the 23mm lens is a superb compromise. It is a camera with which I greatly enjoy working, and the results have been outstanding.

I greatly like the fact that the cameras are so similar in controls and concept. During film days, I commonly shot with two bodies and a X100/X-Pro1 combination would be ideal. Love the idea of a 23mm/60mm combination for street and a 23mm/18mm or 14mm combination for indoor people-photography. It would be nice to have access to the 14mm from the beginning. I would probably skip the 18mm. I will stick to the D700 for zooms and manual focus lenses.

Posted

fuji has said that the roadmap is more or less accurate .... 9 lenses but the speeds may change

i think that at least one of the zooms will be a 2.8 -4, i also think users of the pro will clamor for a 23mm 1.4 or 2 and fuji will respond sooner than they let on . this for the revenue as well as enhancing their image as a camera company who listens.

i think by 2013 we will see several cameras with this new lens mount perhaps even a lower priced version than the 1800 dollar version of this pro body perhaps a pseudo slr form factor too with a huge battery and more studio features

im very happy fuji has decided to be supportive of adapted glass users i hope they support the use of fujinon manual lenses in addition to the m mount they have already committed to

Posted

Am I the only one thats hesitant to adopt a system that will only be relevant while this body of camera exists?

The thing I love about my Nikons and one of the main reasons I chose Nikon over cannon is because every Nikon DSLR lens can be mounted on any Nikon DSLR, even lenses from the 80s. Nikon lenses are never truly obsolete same as leica lenses, but these new fuji lenses look great except that when this body is replaced and a hot new camera comes along with a different focusing mechanism then these lenses will be obsolete.... I dont know about you guys but I think of glass as an investment that supposed to outlive camera bodies not the other way around.

Posted

I guess people were saying exactly the same thing In 1969 when the Nikon F mount was introduced. The difference then of course is that there was no Internet for them to express their views to a world wide audience.

Posted

I dont think you see the point... even if Nikon changed their mount in ten years and a new one replaced it people could easily get an adapter and use their glass manually (focus and aperture control on most lenses and in the worst case scenario just focus at wide open). These lenses are focus by wire which means they will only focus connected to the camera that supports this system...

Posted

I realy dont care about the current Canon and Nikon systems anymore. The lenses are just too big and too expensive for what they offer.

None of them even have tryed to make a small 35mm F1.4 lens under 600$...

They are just chasing marketing clouds or something.

I think the time for little smaller cameras have come and this is one beautiful way to get in there.

With the current Fujifilm lineup of lenses listed here, its almost perfect, only they miss some kind of 90mm(135mm equivalent) fixed lens.

Right now I think, if the AF is great and everything else is as good as the X100 or even better, then the X-Pro1 with the 14mm F2.8 and 60mm F2.4(better the 90mm fixed lens) + X100 is all I need for all my work.

Posted

Yes Im not too bothered thats its a new system, that has to be a good thing surely? And Fuji appear to have built in some future proofing with those data connectors.

They may well license it to other manufacturers too I guess. Could get Tamron & Sigma lenses

Posted

thats the point believe in fuji the way some believed in the f mount when it was introduced ,or dont .....canon slr changed mounts nikon didnt history.....history

fuji is worth believing in ...they are a serious maker of cameras and lenses, and frankly

with the introduction of nikon mirrorless i have a bit more faith in fujis mirrorless for about 1 million reasons..

yes the f mount has commendable longevity, but i see no reason to question fujis commitment

to the x mount

............discuss....:)

Posted

Im just saying the F mont, M mount, any mount where the lens maintains manual control over at least focusing give that glass longevity because if you ever want to use it on another platform all you need is an adapter.

In my opinion the problem with this new system isn't the mount (I only used the F mount as an example). The thing thats holding me back is the focus by wire of these lenses. This means these lenses will not be usable in any other system even if you can get an adapter for the mount because you wont be able to focus them manually.

Picture this... You buy the system and all of the lenses... and lets say for the sake of argument that all the lenses are $600 a piece thats a total of $4,800 on lenses alone and lets say $1,700 for the camera and kit lens, a total of at least $6,500 (thats assuming that all the new lenses cost $600 which is VERY unlikely). Then down the road Fuji develops a new faster AF system and stops supporting this version of their AF. Thats over 5 grand down the drain because even if you could get an adapter to mount your old glass on this amazing new system it would be useless because you wouldn't even be able to focus it manually.

you know what one of my favorite lenses to use on my D7000 is? a cheap 50mm 1.8 E series lens, a lens that probably as old as me but I can still mount on my 6 month old camera and fully use because it is completely manual.

its not about the mount its about the focusing system it relies on the camera to work and thats my big problem with this system, when the camera becomes obsolete there is a good chance so will its glass...

Posted

Sergio: I'm with you. Too much of an investment in this system to rely on technology that's not guaranteed to survive the intermediate and long term.

I'm a long time Nikon user. I will not sell my Nikon D300, 70-200/f2.8, 200-400/f4 system for this Fuji one. The too cannot compare for my needs - sports photography. Nikon has the best lens longevity and when you're investing $5K for a 200-400/f4 you want it to last.

It's difficult in today's world to invest in technology while fearign it will be obsolete soon after. Granted, if you like this Fuji system and can use it for 5-10 years, then good for you. Is it worth it with all its limitations? For me, no; for others, yes.

You can't have the best of everything in any one camera. I also have an X10 and love it, as I did with my Leica D-Lux 4. They do the job where the D300 can't.

I'm sure this new Fuji will do the job for many where the X10/X100 couldn't.

Posted

@Sergio I understand what you're saying. So these lenses won't focus without the body? Theres no mechanical focusing? Is that right?

Is there anything to stop an adaptor to another body having the relevant hardware in it to allow them to focus?

TBH I wouldn't expect many people to use these on anything other than a Fuji X... camera and I suspect Fuji think the same.

Being able to use OLD lenses on a Fuji X body interest me more (though I doubt Id actually buy a non Fuji X lens).

Posted

@mattmaber Exactly, the way its set up now is you turn the focus ring, it sends a signal to the camera saying "hey im being turned" the camera says "oh shit, move the glass" and the lens says "ok... and moves the glass". So without the camera doing the middle work the lens cannot be focused. My concern isn't using these lenses on another brand camera my concern is that lets be honest this focusing system is not that great and in todays world with technology taking leaps and bound things that are "not that great" get discontinued and replaced quick. Thats my fear that I invest on 9 lenses and two years later fuji's x-pro 3 comes with an amazing new AF and MF system that doesn't support this glass.

I can understand focus by wire on the X100 where the camera is the investment but when you talk about a set of lenses thats whats supposed to last, bodies come and go but lenses are supposed to out live their owners.

Posted

Im just saying the F mont, M mount, any mount where the lens maintains manual control over at least focusing give that glass longevity because if you ever want to use it on another platform all you need is an adapter.

In my opinion the problem with this new system isn't the mount (I only used the F mount as an example). The thing thats holding me back is the focus by wire of these lenses. This means these lenses will not be usable in any other system even if you can get an adapter for the mount because you wont be able to focus them manually.

Picture this... You buy the system and all of the lenses... and lets say for the sake of argument that all the lenses are $600 a piece thats a total of $4,800 on lenses alone and lets say $1,700 for the camera and kit lens, a total of at least $6,500 (thats assuming that all the new lenses cost $600 which is VERY unlikely). Then down the road Fuji develops a new faster AF system and stops supporting this version of their AF. Thats over 5 grand down the drain because even if you could get an adapter to mount your old glass on this amazing new system it would be useless because you wouldn't even be able to focus it manually.

you know what one of my favorite lenses to use on my D7000 is? a cheap 50mm 1.8 E series lens, a lens that probably as old as me but I can still mount on my 6 month old camera and fully use because it is completely manual.

its not about the mount its about the focusing system it relies on the camera to work and thats my big problem with this system, when the camera becomes obsolete there is a good chance so will its glass...

+1 i have mentioned on several sites my dissapointment at the continued use by fuji of focus by wire,,,, nikon is able to make lenses that allow af and mf operation as well as

true settable not solely electronic f stops

i i believe it to be a completely wrongheaded view of lens evolution by more than one camera maker .... the sooner fuji migrates to true helicoids and true mechanical f stops with af and autofunction the better ... i hopethey return tomore cameras and systems like we have seen with the readoption of viewfinders

Posted

@sergio ah understand now.

Still, Id love to have this camera :\

Posted

to add , i have been using and adapting glass for m4\3 since 2009

my first was a nikkor h 50mm f2 "bodycapped " for use on my epi and gf1

i have bought a few panny special purpose lenses but not a singlle olympus lens beyond

the kit zoom ,but i did purchase a15mm 4.5 a 28mm 1.9 and a 50mm 1.5 voigtlander iwith adapters as well as many other legacy lenses in that time

fuji needs to wake up on this issue and make lenses that will make the pro and enthusiast

will want and respect

my contax g 45 and 90 almost ended up on the trashbin of history but luckily the true helicoid inside accessable by spindle is adaptable

i truely hate the idea of all electronic lenses ....+ 1 to all your comments

Posted

Believe me I want it too... I love everything about it so far except the focusing mechanism. I think thats the only thing holding me back and whats scary is that normally when a manufacturer has a product with a weak point and they release a new one with that weak point sorted out they make a big deal about how they have fixed this and that issue based on feed back. With this camera the only thing we've heard regarding the focusing was the canadian fuji guy saying "much improved over the x100" while the asian fuji guy mentioned the focus by wire aspect....

Posted

I suspect these drive by wire lens designs are a decisive compromise to keep them as compact as possible. M mount lenses are quite compact and fully manual, but they lack any AF mechanisms, and Nikon lenses are quite large by comparison. If you look at Micro 4/3rds lenses, they're also all drive by wire, and equally compact.

It's tough to buy into a new platform, but I wouldn't take Fujifilm's efforts lightly. They've already spent 3 years developing the X mount platform, they're fully committed to this untapped niche in the market. Creating another 'me-too' DSLR isn't worthwhile, they tried that with their S Pro DSLRs, but creating a mirror-less camera truly for professionals is something that Nikon and Canon are clearly too afraid to do. These cameras won't be full DSLR replacements in every aspect, surely the AF will still not compare, but they will suit the needs of MANY photographers nonetheless.

Posted

And it's somehow impossible to build an adapter that connects an electrical contact on one end with an electrical contact on the other? I would have thought any first year electrical engineering student would be able to manage that.

Posted

Really like the look & idea of the X pro 1, my only concern is that in all the videos I've watched they seem to indicate that when the lens is removed the sensor is visible. However careful I've been with my DSLR I nearly always end up with dust on the sensor at some point & thats behind a mirror! Am I missing something,does anyone know whether this is an issue with cameras of this type?

Posted

Not if the contact doesn't even exist on the camera or the camera doesn't have the same software to move the lens... This is a high tech lens and camera system not a potato battery.

Posted

Picture this... You buy the system and all of the lenses... and lets say for the sake of argument that all the lenses are $600 a piece thats a total of $4,800 on lenses alone and lets say $1,700 for the camera and kit lens, a total of at least $6,500 (thats assuming that all the new lenses cost $600 which is VERY unlikely). Then down the road Fuji develops a new faster AF system and stops supporting this version of their AF.

With all the R&D investment that Fuji put into thios mount, I don't envision that Fuji will abandon the mount for another system anytime soon.

Also, consider that the actual process of measuring focus and controlling the lens for the AF measuring sequence all happens (a) inside the camera body and (b ) is essentially performed in software. That is, the process can be modified by Fuji inside an existing camera system to a certain degree.

On a further note, the mount and its electrical interface can stay the same, however Fuji could develop another camera body with an improved AF system - possibly even using a phase-detect system like in a DSLR. Such a camera body would still be able to perform AF using an older lens with the same mount because the technology to determine focus is contained in the camera body, not the lens. The lens merely contains the optics, a focus motor and a drive as well as some interface circuitry. The intelligence isn't in the lens but in the camera body.

Posted

Picture this... You buy the system and all of the lenses... and lets say for the sake of argument that all the lenses are $600 a piece thats a total of $4,800 on lenses alone and lets say $1,700 for the camera and kit lens, a total of at least $6,500 (thats assuming that all the new lenses cost $600 which is VERY unlikely). Then down the road Fuji develops a new faster AF system and stops supporting this version of their AF.

With all the R&D investment that Fuji put into thios mount, I don't envision that Fuji will abandon the mount for another system anytime soon.

Also, consider that the actual process of measuring focus and controlling the lens for the AF measuring sequence all happens (a) inside the camera body and (b ) is essentially performed in software. That is, the process can be modified by Fuji inside an existing camera system to a certain degree.

On a further note, the mount and its electrical interface can stay the same, however Fuji could develop another camera body with an improved AF system - possibly even using a phase-detect system like in a DSLR. Such a camera body would still be able to perform AF using an older lens with the same mount because the technology to determine focus is contained in the camera body, not the lens. The lens merely contains the optics, a focus motor and a drive as well as some interface circuitry. The intelligence isn't in the lens but in the camera body.

Your right AF does happen in camera... my problem with this system is that MF does too... The X series does not have a real manual focusing system, this was ok with the X100 but with a "pro" camera I dont like it...

Look at nikon, their latest lenses have ditched aperture control on altogether but they know how important fast manual focusing is. So they left a focus ring on all of their lenses with an automatic manual override! To me thats pro quality knowing that if I have to adjust the focus cause the AF completely missed what I'm looking for I can just reach up and twist the ring to get the focus plane exactly where I want it.