XWing0949

Weather Sealing Permanently Compromised? X-Pro1/X-Pro2 Sync Terminal Cap Replacement Problem

This is essentially an old topic since it dates back to the X-Pro1, but since the X-Pro2 is out, I think it's still a relevant question and potential problem.

As X-Pro1 owners already know the cap/cover for the most under-utilized feature on the camera would be that pc sync terminal is unique in that it is push in type and the the typical screw in one.. so, it's damn easy to lose.. just lost mine the other day.

Sadly, there never seem to have been any replacement part offered by Fuji... after all this time.. and from what I can see, the X-Pro2 has the same stupid sync terminal that takes a unique push in type cap/cover.

Now, I have the X-Pro2 on order and I anticipate this cap/cover to still be an issue.. I wouldn't' be so concerned, but the X-Pro2 is now weather sealed and if you lose the sync terminal cap/cover, and there is no replacement part offered by Fujifilm, then the X-Pro2's weather sealing is permanently compromised?.. Does this make sense to any of you guys/gals?

I've sent my concern to Fujifilm via an email.. good luck waiting for a proper response, huh?  Still, don't you think this is a major oversight and needs to be addressed?.. Really sucks if an opening and potential breach in weather sealing on such a expensive and high end camera has no quick and easy fix such as offering a replacement cap.. that's all it takes, but some reason Fujifilm doesn't seem to think it's important enough to address and offer.. what do you have to do?.. send in the camera just to get a replacement cap?.. buy another X-Pro just for spare parts just for this one little cap?

I believe I've done my homework to see if I could find a replacement cap, but no luck.  Anybody know of a suitable replacement cap?

... maybe an over-reaction on my part.. FYI, can get the x-pro terminal cap, just have to call customer service parts & accessories to special order it, costs under $7 + shipping.  ordered extra 3 just in case while I had the phone to get the part.

fujipete   

thats serious overkill !!

Ive never lost one on either of 2 XP1's I have 

The chance of losing this cap is slim , then the weather has to get in 

Think about it the chances are small

Just stick a tiny piece of gaffer over it and forget about it

Its on the side so it won't notice 

Go out and put your camera to work and don't worry about these things 

I had a rather large monkey take my XP1 off me in India  and swing it by the strap a local then had to fight to get it back !!

The cap was still there :)

Hey, doesn't stop me from taking photos and using, it just bugs me every time I glace a look at the side of the camera.. i make know apologies for reserving the peeves I have in this world, thank you

i'm not going to get much further into it now.. don't like tape on my camera as a fix.

prefer keeping ALL original parts on camera, and if I've lost, then I will replace with real replacement part whenever possible.. i'd settle for a 3rd party alternative, but there are none for this particular type of terminal cap/cover. so, have to order directly from Fujifilm.

overkill? no such thing for me... i should be more carefull in the future, but sh!t happens still no matter how carefull you care.. rather be prepared and not have to deal with this in the future..at least as few times as possible.. keeping extras on hand should facilitate easy & fast replacement should it ever happen again.. 

fujipete   

I don't know how to break this to you ......

The hotshoe cover looks like it could easily be lost .....

Edited by fujipete

exactly!.. you are so spot on and totally get the point of all this with real valuable comments and observations... circles are so much more disconcerting than squares, indeed...

you do understand I'm not just saying "thumbs up!" like "right on!" or "you got it!"?... maybe I should have clarified.. "Thumbs Up GRIP!".. get it why no concern about the hot shoe cover?

Edited by XWing0949

Do you have a soft release button ?

and if so what colour is it ?

nope.. well, not anymore. lost that too, haha!  i thought i heard something drop on the ground when I pulled out of my bag to take a photo, but ignored the sound as I was more interested in trying to take the shot.. should have noticed the feeling under my finger over the shutter button was different.. guess i missed it during the heat of the moment and didn't notice until I got back home. luckily, it was cheap so I'm not tripping over it.  but, btw, it was grey color.. or so that's what I ordered.. it looks a bit more metallic like a silver, actually.  btw, that was on my x-pro1.

no worries, I have extra soft release buttons of varying color and design at home... will decide if I want to mess with that on my new x-pro2 or not

Edited by XWing0949

You can find generic pc sync port covers that work on the X-Pro1 and presumably the X-Pro2. They're sold on Ebay by many sellers for under $2 USD, you can even find bulk packs of 10 for $10 :)

Just search for pc sync cap or pc sync cover on eBay and you'll find a lot of offerings: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=pc+sync+cover&_sacat=0

As far as I know even the replacements caps with threads will fit.

• Like 1

This is essentially an old topic since it dates back to the X-Pro1, but since the X-Pro2 is out, I think it's still a relevant question and potential problem.

As X-Pro1 owners already know the cap/cover for the most under-utilized feature on the camera would be that pc sync terminal is unique in that it is push in type and the the typical screw in one.. so, it's damn easy to lose.. just lost mine the other day.

Sadly, there never seem to have been any replacement part offered by Fuji... after all this time.. and from what I can see, the X-Pro2 has the same stupid sync terminal that takes a unique push in type cap/cover.

Now, I have the X-Pro2 on order and I anticipate this cap/cover to still be an issue.. I wouldn't' be so concerned, but the X-Pro2 is now weather sealed and if you lose the sync terminal cap/cover, and there is no replacement part offered by Fujifilm, then the X-Pro2's weather sealing is permanently compromised?.. Does this make sense to any of you guys/gals?

I've sent my concern to Fujifilm via an email.. good luck waiting for a proper response, huh?  Still, don't you think this is a major oversight and needs to be addressed?.. Really sucks if an opening and potential breach in weather sealing on such a expensive and high end camera has no quick and easy fix such as offering a replacement cap.. that's all it takes, but some reason Fujifilm doesn't seem to think it's important enough to address and offer.. what do you have to do?.. send in the camera just to get a replacement cap?.. buy another X-Pro just for spare parts just for this one little cap?

I believe I've done my homework to see if I could find a replacement cap, but no luck.  Anybody know of a suitable replacement cap?

Isn't the synch terminal on the X-Pro2 behind the end door with the USB and audio connectors - same as XT1? There is no cap for those synch terminals as the door itself is sealed.

Either I have wasted my time answering a question I misunderstood or you've wasted an entire thread complaining about a problem that doesn't exist. :love:

Isn't the synch terminal on the X-Pro2 behind the end door with the USB and audio connectors - same as XT1? There is no cap for those synch terminals as the door itself is sealed.

Either I have wasted my time answering a question I misunderstood or you've wasted an entire thread complaining about a problem that doesn't exist. :love:

Nope, the PC sync terminal is on the front of the X-T1 (just below the X-T1 imprint on the front) and on the X-Pro1 and X-Pro2 it's on the side of the camera with the viewfinder. On all 3 the port is covered with a small round cap.

dohzjjojsforuc086ujb.jpg

• Like 1

No, the sync terminal is on the outside on the left side (by viewfinder side).. lower closer to the bottom on the X-Pro1, up higher towards the strap lug on the X-Pro2, but exact same type of sync terminal & cap which is the push in type, not the typical screw in type you can more easily find as 3rd party / generic brands.

For anybody interested to get the proper replacement, here's the part #: BB24156-100

And, the X-T1 has the sync terminal on the front left of the camera on the outside.. They're never behind any doors. And the X-T1 is the screw in type which is a lot easier to replace.

You can find generic pc sync port covers that work on the X-Pro1 and presumably the X-Pro2. They're sold on Ebay by many sellers for under $2 USD, you can even find bulk packs of 10 for $10 :)

Just search for pc sync cap or pc sync cover on eBay and you'll find a lot of offerings: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=pc+sync+cover

As far as I know even the replacements caps with threads will fit.

Trust me, i've looked and know how to do a search.  I've tried every possible wording that that part could be and search often ends up the same results.  It's not the same as the X_pro1 & x-pro2.. all those generic sync terminal port covers are basically the screw in type and size does not fit.

X-Pro1 & X-Pro2 are both uniquely smaller and push in type.. I can't find that anywhere on Amazon or eBay.

In the end, I called Fujifilm Customer Service - Parts & Accessories Department to special order one.. Under $7 each + shipping.

For anybody interested to get the proper replacement, here's the part #: BB24156-100

And, no, they don't sell separately on their store or online anywhere, unlike the X-T1 replacement cover kit.

Edited by XWing0949
  • Like 2

I actually only needed to pull my vameras out of the bags next to me. The XT1 cover is firmly in place after a couple of years (of non-use I think. The XP1 synch cover is missing but I believe I did the same as with my Nikons and removed them and left them in the box from new (same with straps and lens caps since I prefer to use Nikon caps and  to pick my straps from a 3rd party range.

For waterproofing sans synch cap perhaps a dab of Sugru would work, either contrasting red/white or black since it is removable. Like my re-profiled XT1 buttons.

_XP12994.jpg

I actually only needed to pull my vameras out of the bags next to me. The XT1 cover is firmly in place after a couple of years (of non-use I think. The XP1 synch cover is missing but I believe I did the same as with my Nikons and removed them and left them in the box from new (same with straps and lens caps since I prefer to use Nikon caps and  to pick my straps from a 3rd party range.

For waterproofing sans synch cap perhaps a dab of Sugru would work, either contrasting red/white or black since it is removable. Like my re-profiled XT1 buttons.

_XP12994.jpg

Looks like nice work on the sugru.

I think I could use a little on the AF-L button on the back of the X-Pro2.. it's fairly flush with the body/grip and could use a little bump or protrusion to define it better by touch.

Never used the stuff, but I've seen how it's applied.. jump mold, shape and place onto spot you want it and maybe fine tune the form after it's on.

How long does it take to cure/dry?  Seems like it holds pretty good in high traffic and touch areas.. You say it's removable?  Pretty easy to remove without leaving residue or damaging what it is adhered over?  It's not a big deal, but just trying to get an idea if I place over the AF-L button, when it comes time to remove (or replace if this stuff wears out), the AF-L print on the button will still be there and not lifted off along with the sugru.

• Like 1

You need just a tiny bit to raise the profile - then you halve and halve again - and you'll still have twice what you need! To remove you just get a finger nail to the edge and lift then rub to remove the remains. Strange stuff because it hasn't moved at all in the 9 months since I put it on. About 30 mins working time then a couple of hours to cure enough to use and fully hard in 12 hours. I got a small pack with 3 colours, red, white, black and it supposedly keeps well resealed and kept in the fridge - but I haven't tried it out.

Of course, if you like your camera to look properly suited and booted you'll need one of these straps and soft releases too.

Cam-in strap.jpg

Edited by veejaycee

You need just a tiny bit to raise the profile - then you halve and halve again - and you'll still have twice what you need! To remove you just get a finger nail to the edge and lift then rub to remove the remains. Strange stuff because it hasn't moved at all in the 9 months since I put it on. About 30 mins working time then a couple of hours to cure enough to use and fully hard in 12 hours. I got a small pack with 3 colours, red, white, black and it supposedly keeps well resealed and kept in the fridge - but I haven't tried it out.

Of course, if you like your camera to look properly suited and booted you'll need one of these straps and soft releases too.

Cam-in strap.jpg

Thanks for the info on the sugru.

i looked it up online as well.. one video scared me a bit as he said to remove you need to take a razor blade and run it along the back of the sugru where it meets whatever you have it stuck onto to get it off!  should come off clean, but then again it was on a piece of glass.

But, if it does come off by basically picking at the edge or corner and peeling off and rubbing off any remaining bit, then that shouldn't be too bad.. yeah.  I still might try.. only need so little of it though.. just enough to feel right off the surface.. I really wished they had made it not so flush.. in this one design area, I think I preferred the original X-Pro1's AF-L button the way it just barely protruded just enough to feel it with more confidence.

or.. i need to just keep practicing with it and muscle memory will be enough to confidently blindly reach for the AF-L button.

Speaking of buttons.. I have to say the AE-L button seems just a bit too up or to the left than I would personally have wanted.. maybe I need bigger hands or at least a longer thumb.. find myself awkwardly reaching for it the way I hold the camera.. luckily, I don't need to use that button much as I'm usually fine obtaining AE-L via half shuttter button press (with back button for focus).

I have so many nice straps, I don't think it will be a problem accessorizing.. I also have a small surplus of a variety of soft release shutter buttons.. they are also pretty easy to lose, some more than others depending on the design.. luckily, they're pretty cheap to get and replace.

thanks for the sugru advice

Haha just read this thread and thought "what cap" yup i've lost mine too! - lol Had a quick look on eBay and there are a couple mentioned that might fit dispatched from the US.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-PC-flash-sync-socket-caps-fit-Canon-A-series-Pentax-/161183803143?hash=item25874da707:g:sAMAAOSwpDdVGw5p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-PC-flash-sync-socket-caps-fit-Canon-A-series-Pentax-/151917193686?hash=item235ef869d6:g:7f4AAOSwstxVGw7i

Steve V

• Like 1

On 3/9/2016 at 3:28 PM, Christopher said:

Nope, the PC sync terminal is on the front of the X-T1 (just below the X-T1 imprint on the front) and on the X-Pro1 and X-Pro2 it's on the side of the camera with the viewfinder. On all 3 the port is covered with a small round cap.

dohzjjojsforuc086ujb.jpg

Christopher, I purchased a hand grip with an L bracket. When attaching it to the camera, the bracket knocked the pc cap off. I didn't notice at the time, and it was lost. Elsewhere I read that Ebay had caps for a Nikon camera, that would fit. 

I am not one of these, "it's just a tool, it's supposed to have a few dings" types.I want my beautiful camera, to remain beautiful, so not only is it compromising the WR, but it should have a cap! I want a cap!

I waited for weeks, for two caps, and they are both too big. Are these caps obtainable? Please say they are. :-)

I also posted about this issue on the L Shaped bracket thread, but that's an old thread, so I don't suppose anyone will see my post, but they will know to disassemble the bracket, or take care when first attaching it. Cheers, John

For some reason Fujifilm doesn't seem to sell a cover kit for the X-Pro1 or 2, but they do for the X-T1 and X-T2. The kit model numbers are CVR-XT and CVR-XT2 respectively. They each include a PC Sync cover that should work on the X-Pro line, although it does not seem to be the same slim design that the X-Pro2 uses :( 

pic_12.jpg

• Like 1

Well. I had begun to think they were unavailable, after numerous searches, on Fuji websites, and on various forums.

I read in three places that some Nikon caps would fit, but after extensive searches of numerous Nikon sites, I can't see any that look small enough to fit the X-Pro 2.

So, I've emailed Fuji's support team, asking them to advise me what to do.

It must totally negate any chance of the WR saving the day, in a heavy shower.

Also, I doubt Fuji themselves make these caps, they'll be supplied by some plastics factory, so they could easily order a few more than needed, to provide support to their loyal customer's

On the other thread, regarding these type thumb grips, with L plates. I got the impression that these accessories are quite popular, so, if the bracket pushes the cap out every time, there will be a lot of people without a cap.

So, I'd suggest you email Fuji, as I have. As I say, all they need to do is order an extra thousand, on a projected production batch. and then offer them on their spares page, for a couple of quid, which is probably a 99% profit margin, and they would show, once again, that they are an honourable company, which supports it's products etc

I just took a closer look at the PC Sync cap, and the other covers that you've shown.

It's impossible to tell how big it is, especially as we seem to be looking at the outside of the cap.

It needs to have a fairly narrow plastic tube, to push in the gap, if it's going to fit, but we can't see that side.

This is really frustrating, they absolutely must have spares, it would be impossible to exactly estimate how many caps you need.

I might start bombarding Ted Viera with mails saying "hi man, it would be really cool, if you could speak to Fuji for us, man" etc :-)