XWing0949

Weather Sealing Permanently Compromised? X-Pro1/X-Pro2 Sync Terminal Cap Replacement Problem

36 posts in this topic

Now I've lost my eyepiece, and Fuji don't seem to have those either.

Have to say, this is pretty poor for a supposedly "pro" camera.

Does anyone have any idea, where to get a spare eyepiece?

Do you mean the round glass diopter lens from the X-Pro1 viewfinder? Nikon makes them still, and they will fit.

Just spoke to Fuji UK Repair, regarding my lost PC Sync Cap, and Rubber Eyepiece.

As suggested by other UK Fuji users, they want the whole camera back.

I said that I'd read on numerous forums, that eg, FUJI US, send out the parts, which can be user replaced.

That seemed to annoy him, and he said something about "we make sure the replacement is done properly, so people don't do further damage"

I explained that I had 2 crucial photoshoots this weekend (lie), but he suggested I contacted Jessop's for a loan, or "borrow one of your mates cameras"

Great eh? Anyway, he's sending out a return package, and said they aim for a 4 or 5 day turn around.

Hey Ho

This seems to be a standard thing from what I've read on various forums John. Think yourself lucky that most repair work from Europe is sent to the main repair center here in the UK. I know of one guy who has been using his XP2 without eyepiece for 8 weeks and continues to until he can find a gap in his his workload to send it for replacement.

Oh, yes I agree, Vic, and I am fortunate that they Fuji UK) are so on the ball, the guy semi-admitted that this is becoming a problem, but their thorough approach, should ensure it doesn't happen again.

Also, I could be a professional, who would be losing lots of money, if he had to drop a job, or even a wedding photographer.

But then, I imagine, most top pros, have at least two bodies, and even wedding photographers, would just go out and hire one.

Also, I had a big Canon outfit, before I went over To Fuji, and dealing with their support was far less smooth than this.

So, I count my blessings :-)

Cheers, John

Hello Christopher, and veejaycee

I just thought I'd give you some feedback, regarding Fuji UK, and my return.

As you know, I lost my PCSynch Cap, whilst attaching a generic grip, plus L bracket.

A few days later, I noticed, that the rubber eyepiece, had also gone missing.
As you know, whilst this an unacknowledged fault/quality control problem it is accepted for a free repair, in the UK

So, I sent it off, in the free Fuji packaging provided, and received it back, in 4 working days(Thursday, until Tuesday), so I think Fuji UK is first rate, in that respect, Though I can't tell, they have apparently replaced the whole eyepiece unit. The reason they do not ship out parts, to self fit, is because, the eyepiece rubber, "is like a jigsaw", and easy to fit wrongly,  put glue in wrong place etc.

Fair enough, unfortunately, they forgot to replace the PC Synch Cover, so I had to phone Fuji back, once again. Luckily, I spoke to the same guy, as I had originally spoken to, and he remembered me, and was sympathetic, etc, However, it is apparent that , either this is indeed extremely rare, or they just don't have spares of the PC Synch Cover, so after a slight attempt, at suggesting gaffer tape, He agreed to send me "at least a couple of spares of the cap", which "just pushes in", but might take him some time to get hold of.

Well. He said they will come eventually :-) This got me thinking, the lost eyepiece, could be a quality control problem, hence rare, hence maybe easier to obtain the whole unit, for replacement, than just the rubber. It also seems likely, that it could be a problem if you self repair incorrectly. So maybe the cap is a similar problem, or at least very rare, or perhaps he is going to obtain them, from un-fixable cameras, that are just scrap, or, he might have to get them from Fuji Japan. Do not know.

That's speculation, it also occurs to me that this is good info, for anyone who this happens to, so should be remembered for the future. In case it happens to one of our members.
I got accused of being an idiot, lying, being simple minded, and making all this up, on an FB Fuji page I use occasionally!

Cheers folks, John Williams

1 person likes this

John, thank you for the update and the sharing of your thought.

The good news is that you have your camera back in your hands and, while waiting for the caps to arrive, you can start using it again. Just be careful not to expose the open sync terminal to water or dirt.

1 person likes this

Oh yes, and gaffer tape, should it rain :-)

1 minute ago, MarcoDebiasi said:

John, thank you for the update and the sharing of your thought.

The good news is that you have your camera back in your hands and, while waiting for the caps to arrive, you can start using it again. Just be careful not to expose the open sync terminal to water or dirt.

Oh yes, I'm really wanting to, gaffer tape will certainly do for now. I'm beginning to doubt that the eyepiece cap is very important, it looks just like any other, and a little plastic cap, wouldn't necessarily, keep water out, but that is not important, really.
Cheers, Marco

Thanks for the feedback John. From what I've read you are not alone in losing the eyepiece so lets hope they have made it a more permanent fixture on your camera now.

Best, Vic

1 person likes this