Sign in to follow this  
Matt_k

X10 focus is unreliable

Matt_k   

Hi Guys

This is my first post here....I generally love the X10 despite its obvious shortcomings...but today I took 160 images of a general outdoor nature and 35 were totally out of focus. I'm fairly confident this is not user error, (though I am still coming to terms with the camera), but unless my camera has an intermittent fault......this is a pretty poor hit rate. Are any others having the same problem or do I need to delve deeper into the focusing system in order to get more reliable results?

kiwi   

A couple of sample images sometimes helps as well.

I assume that you were framing via the LCD and that what you thought that you had focused on was not in focus in the final shot. If you were using the OVF the focus point is not in the centre of the OVF it's below and to the left of the centre.

lfp   

If you were using the OVF the focus point is not in the centre of the OVF it's below and to the left of the centre.

Could you please post a simple image showing that...?

kiwi   

No because the position varies a bit depending on the zoom of the lens. I will try to think of a way of describing it but what I did to test was put the camera on a tripod and set the focus to the LCD centre focus point then looked through the OVF to see where the item I focussed on was.

It seems to me that if you move the focus point on the LCD up one place and then one place to the right that lines up reasonably well with the centre of the OVF so you could always try that approach if you want.

If one knows how contrast-detection AF works, they would try to look for something contrasty within the AF box to get a tacksharp image. If one expects the AF (be it CD or PD) to behave like the human eye, then i can say the hit rate sucks big time and better off using a fixed focus cameraphone to shoot.

drd1135   

I get the occasional OoF shot, usually when I press the shutter quickly without pre-focusing with a half-depress, but never anything approaching your percent of misses. What kinds of things where you shooting?

Matt_k   

OK...I think I got it worked out. I've had the camera for about 4 weeks and used it quite a bit. Normaly I get about 3 or 4 out of a hundred that are out of focus, which is an acceptable miss rate. (My DSLR sometimes misses focus too). So what was different this time? I took the camera and the instruction manual and sat down to try and figure what had went wrong, when suddenly it hit me....I had purchased one of those red, sexy, soft shutter attachments and fitted it to the camera. It looks great and feels great...but...it turns the shutter into a hair trigger. It's very difficult to feel the halfway detent. I also had the sounds switched off so had no focus indication. This combination, I'm sure, is what has raised the miss rate. Had a play around this morning and using the beep as focus confirmation and using a much more sensitive touch, everything seems to be back to normal. Will give it a big tryout in the next day or 2 but I think I've got this one licked.

Regards

artm   

Umm, no...he also says the shutter feels quite different and difficult with the button.

In over 33+ years of photography I have never found the need for one.

These buttons are simply flash over function. I'm sure many of you who use them don't want to admit it.

like other compacts, the X10 is not focus-priority but instead is release-priority, meaning irrespective of in-focus or OOF, the first shot will ALWAYS be taken upon full depress of shutter button.

Matt_k   

OK...had a big shoot today and shot 176 images. Only 6 were out of focus....I don't know why...but that is kind of acceptable. It looks like you have to take a little care with where the focus area is and give the camera time to focus. So I'm happy with the cameras performance so far.

arrow501   

I also get badly out of focus shots with my X10. When I half press the shutter and the focus square turns green and the beep sounds I get an in focus shot. When I half press the shutter and the focus square turns green but the beep does not sound I get an out of focus shot. The exif data of the out of focus shots say the Focus Warning was Good. Something is very wrong with my X10 and it seems others have the same problem. Are they all like this?

rajid   

I have an X30, which I've used a little over the last few months.  If I set it to autofocus, put it onto a tripod to make sure there's no camera shake, and then repeatedly press the shutter button half-way to have it focus, I can see on the distance scale that it will sometimes focus at infinity and sometimes at 30 ft.  This is while pointing it at an object a few hundred feet away and using the smallest focus square, with spot focusing.  So, nothing changes, but the autofocus will suddenly say things are a different distances!  I have quite a few pictures, taken at a party, where everyone in all of the pictures is out of focus!

Any hints?  Should I just return it to Fuji under warrantee?  I purchased it maybe 6 months ago.