MrMojorisin

Newbie with a Fuji X10

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am a Newbie to this forum with a won in a contest Fuji X10.Besides the basic point and shoot cameras I was use to this is out of my comfort zone.

I am physically disabled and mostly homebound in the farmland area of Northwest NJ. I do take a lot of pictures at family functions etc.We started going to live concerts the last 2 years with me in my motorized wheelchair. (I have difficulty walking, standing from a severe work accident in 97) I have taken 100's of pictures at the concerts and we have one coming up in September. I also sit outside or inside by my backdoor taking pictures of the wildlife lately. We have all kinds of beautiful colored birds, chipmunks, baby squirrels,etc. We have had a Doe with her 2 fawns hang around and last fall,  black bears, one outside my backdoor messing around with a huge beehive. If it wasn't for my mixed rescued dog from Mississippi, who must have some hunting genes in her, who pointed and started growling, I would have become close friends with the bear. So there is a lot of things going on right outside my backdoor.

Now all I have to do is learn how to get all the benefits of this complex camera, to this newbie. So any tips or pointers would be appreciated. I have read the short novel of the manual a couple of times, with some understanding and a lot of confusion. I have also been learning to use Adobe Elements 14 to try and organize 15 + years of photos on old hard drives and USB flash drives.

Thank You,

Mojo

I've never used the X10/20/30 series so I can't give advice on setup (I do know there is little point in using apertures smaller than f5.6 on that size sensor so you'll mostly have plenty of light.

Anyway, I just thought I'd welcome you to the forum and let those who own the camera chime in with advice.

Vic

Just to clarify, you say you have just won this camera from Fujifilm, but the X10 has been discontinued for some time. Is the camera a X-T10 or an X10. It matters as they are quite different cameras, I have had both.

The X10 has an optical viewfinder at the top left.

the X-T10 has an electronic viewfinder in the centre of the camera, with a foldout rear screen.

I would recommend a great book for the X-10: “Photographer's Guide To The Fujifilm X10” by Alexander S. White. It probably has more info than you will ever need, but it will answer any questions you have. I am a working professional photographer with 40+ years in the field and I bought an X-10 a while back as a 'carrying around camera.' Ended up with 2 of them and have carried them as my travel outfit ever since. Even managed to pay for a few vacations with the photos I shot. Anyway, I picked up a copy of that book on eBay for a nominal amount. Turned out to be a great investment and it allowed me to get lots more out of this camera than I probably ever would. Good Luck!

Ditto on Alexander White's book, get it on Amazon, well worth the money. It will answer all your questions and I'm sure will teach you a lot; it's been great for me and was suggested by another member. 

My X10 is awesome, it's had a software upgrade and a major overhaul/repair covered by warranty. It has traveled coast to coast in the tankbag of my motorcycle; not really a very comfortable life for a camera. I've taken about 40,000 shots with it.

Best advice .... tripod, tripod, tripod. Or at least hold it against a handy solid object.

Second best advice ... I regularly use the 2 second timer as a way of eliminating any jiggling during the exposure from the shutter button.

Third bit of advice ..... if you take many pictures some of them are bound to be good.

windtogo.wordpress.com      

Congratulation on getting Fuji X10.  

I own so many cameras from Nikon D3s to Fuji S5 Pro, Fuji X-T10, Fuji X-M1, Fuji X-A1....

And I took many shots side-by-side for comparison of skin tone to see which camera has the most natural portrait images.

I gotta say, Fuji X10 has the most natural skin tone.  The color is most natural and it retains great detail.

The more expensive Fuji X-T10 paired with very expensive lens still can't match to the pictures produced by Fuji X10. 

The Fuji X-T10 and Fuji X-E2 has "plastic skin tone" issue.  Turns out I have to shoot RAW and try to match the skin tone (color) to that of Fuji X10.

Fuji X10 has great dynamic range, too.  So not only it excel in portrait shots, it is also excellent for landscape.

I like Fuji X10 so much I bought a 2nd one.  My first Fuji X10 was kind of beat up after years of usage.  

Treasure your Fuji X10.  Maybe get a good camera case from eBay to protect it.  It was and still is the best all-around camera I ever used.

1 person likes this

Hi!

I`m newbie with X10 also, but I am inlove in this little camera!

My preferred  area is street. And X10 is perfect for this type photography.

I hope that here will find a friends!

Lets light will be with us!

On 27/05/2016 at 8:16 AM, veejaycee said:

I've never used the X10/20/30 series so I can't give advice on setup (I do know there is little point in using apertures smaller than f5.6 on that size sensor so you'll mostly have plenty of light.

I missed this thread and realise it is fairly old but in case the question comes up again. With my X10 I leave the aperture almost constantly on f4. With the small sensor f4 gives plenty of depth of field in almost all situations but does not restrict shooting in most.

My son took the X10 to Europe last year and looking at his pictures for his 3 months about 99% of them seemed to be on f4 and came out great.

Thank You All for your responses! I had some surgeries and was laid up for awhile.

I have been taking pictures on birds on my feeders, some good some not so good.

Still learning and trying different settings.

I did get the book suggested and a lot of information to process.

Thanks Again,

John