beomoth

Fuji X-S1 Lens creep ( not droop)

beomoth   

hi,

I am new to this and have bought a second hand x-S1. It s great but when pointing down the lens starts unravelling. Its only a problem if using a tripod, however I was looking at lens band to cure this which works but is a bit of a pain. I had a look to see if there were any O rings out there and came across this wikihow article.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Lens-Creep

Has any body tried this?

The camera is a 22 so I think it is a 2nd quarter 2012 and hence wouldn`t be under warranty. I guess it would cost an arm and a leg to get repaired ?

thanks

I think you're right in thinking that the cost of repair would exceed the value of the camera.

I've heard of people using rubber or silicone bands to solve this problem mechanically. I saw this band on Amazon that people seem to like: https://www.amazon.com/Lens-Band-Stop-Creep-Black/dp/B0050KEEW0

While I was looking at the reviews for it, I noticed one reviewer offered a solution that might be perfect for you to try: https://www.amazon.com/review/R8TLXEKGLPMSL/

"In my case this product was completely unnecessary. All you need to do is extend your zoom all the way out and place a 1" piece of black electrical tape running length-wise along the top of the extended part of the barrel that slides back inside when retracted. This provides enough friction to solve the problem. Worked perfectly on my Nikon 28-300mm."

61UagpSU-dL.jpg

• Like 1

dem   

My X-S1 is about the same age and its lens creeps (especially when the lens hood is attached).

I have a couple of rubber wrist bands in the camera bag to keep the lens in place when needed. It is a bit of a pain but I do not think it is worth sending the camera to Fuji for repair.

beomoth   

Thanks, the black tape sounds like a good idea, I have tried the elastic bands idea and although it works it involves a bit of a faff  I will give it a shot and hope it doesnt crinkle and foul up.

I am also trying to source a petal lens hood ( as being second hand it didnt come with one) , they seem to be rarer than dinosaur eggs, any ideas out there?

beomoth   

thanks Christopher,

thats amazing... I looked on ebay for ages and couldnt find one...ordered now!

I will try the tape method on my lens this weekend and post a positive or negative 

ahhhh, just paused before ordering....its in fact for the S1 (not X-s1) ....bummer but I`ll keep looking.

• Like 1

beomoth   

Digital toyshop say no and point to a threaded one, I didnt want a threaded coz of the effort instead of using the bayonet that can also be reversed. Seriously the only place I found was Fujishop in Turkey but they said they wont post outside of Turkey.

Anyone going to Turkey ? :) 

If you're not ready to give up yet you should try calling your regional Fujifilm service center number and ask how much a replacement part would cost. Sometimes it's surprisingly affordable!

beomoth   

this is the reply  I got from Fuji UK :

Thank you for contacting Fujifilm UK.

The S1 lens hood is a different fitting to the X-S1. We regret that the X-S1 lens hoods are no longer available in the UK.

The lens hood on the Turkish website does appear to be the correct one and is probably unsold stock which is why they are still available there.

Kind regards.