Ervins Rungis

X-T2 Dreamy Video

8 posts in this topic

Hello! This will be my first post, found this forum via google - so i tought, i will ask a question for you guys.

I've got X-T2 for testing as production camera, for streaming live video (so working with video mode) - everything is cool - 1080p @ 59.94fps outputing to HDMI.

My problem is that picture i am getting is little bit dreamy, people feels plastic there, it has nice color contrast, better than Cannon C300, but can't get rid of that "dream effect"...

ab.png

This picture is kind of small, but you get the idea.

In Menu, tried to turn on Noise Reduction, but it is disabled / grayed out...

Current settings:

• Highlight Tone: 0
  • Color: +1
  • Sharpness: +4
  • Bracketing: -0.25
  • SS 125
  • ISO 1600-2000

Should i wait for FW update? Any tips?

Thanks.

Very hard to see what you mean in small pictures.

Fuji cameras, even the latest, aren't great for video and it doesn't interest me so I don't really know the ins and outs of it but - can you apply film simulations in video to help solve your problem perhaps? I would have thought the ISO is much higher than optimum too and if you lower that you could probably also lower the sharpness setting. All guesswork from me though I'm afraid.

1 person likes this

Just now, veejaycee said:

Very hard to see what you mean in small pictures.

Fuji cameras, even the latest, aren't great for video and it doesn't interest me so I don't really know the ins and outs of it but - can you apply film simulations in video to help solve your problem perhaps? I would have thought the ISO is much higher than optimum too and if you lower that you could probably also lower the sharpness setting. All guesswork from me though I'm afraid.

Thanks for reply!

Yes, im not allowed to post fuller pictures, but you can see that the face on right is more plastic. Will try to lover it more.

Any more ideas?

You might want to play with your shadow and highlight tones, the face from the X-T2 video just looks like it has a very linear contrast curve on it which is flattening the skin. The film simulation may also be effecting this.

On 9/13/2016 at 3:25 PM, Ervins Rungis said:

Hello! This will be my first post, found this forum via google - so i tought, i will ask a question for you guys.

I've got X-T2 for testing as production camera, for streaming live video (so working with video mode) - everything is cool - 1080p @ 59.94fps outputing to HDMI.

My problem is that picture i am getting is little bit dreamy, people feels plastic there, it has nice color contrast, better than Cannon C300, but can't get rid of that "dream effect"...

ab.png

In Menu, tried to turn on Noise Reduction, but it is disabled / grayed out...

Current settings:

• Highlight Tone: 0
  • Color: +1
  • Sharpness: +4
  • Bracketing: -0.25
  • SS 125
  • ISO 1600-2000

Should i wait for FW update? Any tips?

Thanks.

What is this? A picture for ants? 

1 person likes this

On 9/13/2016 at 6:25 PM, Ervins Rungis said:

No, actually.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Gallery Photograph

• Latest Forum Posts

• Similar Content

• By TMortPhotos
      Let me know what you have to offer and how much. 👍
    • By veejaycee
      http://www.fujirumors.com/rumor-massive-kaizen-love-fujifilm-x-t2-x-pro2-march-may-33-improvements/
      2 firmware updates coming. One March, Another scheduled for May for X-Pro2 and X-T2 - 33 improved features expected inc.
      extended bracketing (maximum of 9 shots in total) updates for the AF system copyright info to exif improved video functionality viewfinder enhancements GUI change many others
    • By daniel-k
      Hi folks,
      I´m new to the forum and after reading for a while I decided to write my first topic here. Unfortunately it is not exactly a positive one. However, it´s all about exchange of experiences. I´d like to know if others are affected and if there are any ideas how to get rid of the problem.
      Before I start I should mention that I switched to Fuji about 1.5 years ago. Bought a "cheap" X-M1 as extension to my full frame equipment (from a well known Japanese company after sticking with them for almost 20 years). Felt in love with the X-M1, bought an X-T1. Was even more happy until the very day the X-T2 arrived. Since then, this camera is a constant source of disappointment for me. Which is a pity because besides the problem described here the X-T2 is close to perfect.
      After switching from X-T1 to X-T2 I discovered soon that approx. 25-30% of my pictures are blurry, somehow out of focus. First of course I thought that I´m doing something wrong. New "toy", many new options. Easy to make mistakes. I tried a lot to understand what I´m doing wrong but finally wasn´t able to find a problem. However, pictures were still be out of focus quite often. So I started to shot test series with the same settings under same conditions to hopefully get reproducible results. What I got was a wild mix from pin-sharp pictures and really blurry ones. Some result as in everyday photography with my new X-T2. For the test series I used a setup that is comparable to my everyday setup (I do mostly landscapes, so this setup makes most sense for me). Here it is:
      X-T2 on tripod 18-55 lens used with stabilization switched off, set to 18mm ISO set to 400 or 800 (depending on light situation) aperture set to 8, exposure time set to automatic single mid-size or small AF field in the middle of the viewfinder static auto focus (AF-S) priority on focus face detection disabled series of up to 20 pictures, focused on the same object in approx. 25-50 meters distance both, camera and lens on newest firmware During my test shots I found that the DOF-scale in the viewfinder (including the AF distance indicator) was "jumping" around like crazy from one shot to the next. According to this indicator, the AF target was everything between 1.5 meters and infinity away from me. Hey, it´s a balcony on a house. These guys usually don´t move!

!!! Interesting thing is that the problem only occurs if I use the hybrid AF fields in the middle of the view finder. Using the "outside" contrast AF fields the focus works perfectly, without any exceptions !!!
      So, with a heavy heart, I sent the X-T2 together with my 18-55 to Fuji for repair. Got it back after 4 weeks and the repair report mentioned that they have replaced the camera´s main board. So obviously there was something wrong with the camera. After testing for a few days and repeating my test series I found that nothing has changed. Some awkward behavior! I´ve got the chance to test another X-T2 at my camera dealer and it shows the same behavior, even confirmed by the dealer. So I was finally testing with another 18-55, my new 18-135, my 10-24 and some primes borrowed from friends. Same result, the only exception is the 10-24 where the problem occurs  only rarely.
      I sent the X-T2 to Fuji again, got it back yesterday with no parts replaced but they mentioned that they have "adjusted the focus" (however this will work, if at all ). Testing again this morning and again: nothing has changed. Same unacceptable rate of out-of-focus pictures. I went to the dealer today to try another X-T2. Long story short: same behavior.
      Now my X-T2 is on it´s way to Fuji again, for the 3rd time. I own this camera since almost 4 months and it spent more times at Fuji and with UPS so far then in my hands. Frustrating!
      And since I found the same problem with 2 other X-T2 I begin to believe that this is a problem that probably affects the whole series, at least a sub-series. I have no idea.
      After 3rd repair attempt will fail (I´m afraid it will) I have to talk to my dealer again about taking back the X-T2 for refunding.
      To be able to take photos in the meantime I bought a "cheap" X-T10. This camera works like a charm with all my lenses. But I need something more robust, weather sealed with more dedicated controls. A X-T2 with well working AF would be close to my dream camera.
      But so far it isn´t.
      Does anyone have encountered similar problems with X-T2 and comparable setup and lenses?
      Did anyone get any help from Fuji, means a repaired or replaced X-T2?

I will provide a few sample pictures within the next few hours.
      Cheers,
      Daniel

P.S. sorry for the long post. But it´s hard to explain the whole story with just a few words. Sorry also for my "bumpy" English

• Language Translation