Sign in to follow this  
franco

Low light shooting with X-Pro 2

Don't forget that Fuji's ISO values are up to 1EV over inflated compared to other professional cameras, so ISO3200 on an X camera is actually much nearer ISO1600.  If you compare the files to other cameras with this in mind, the results are not that different.  Also, because the red and blue colour pixels are very sparse, the demosaicing of XTrans files needs to average larger groups of pixels to receover each single pixel RGB value.  The effect of averaging / sampling a larger number of pixels (Bayer uses 4, Fuji more), is obviously a smoothing effect as you are averaging a greater number of values.  This has the same effect as noise reduction (it's essentially the same thing), which makes the files look comparatively smooth, but also leads to some loss of the very finest details.  I always found certain types of file at high ISO always appeared to lack the very finest detail and micro contrast - texture in skin was one example I kept noticing.  So whilst the files appear clean, when ISO is taken into account, and Bayer files have mild noise reduction is applied, there is often very little difference.  All of this view is based on my experience with the 16MP XTrans sensor, and using several other Bayer sensors.

1 hour ago, artuk said:

Don't forget that Fuji's ISO values are up to 1EV over inflated compared to other professional cameras, so ISO3200 on an X camera is actually much nearer ISO1600.  If you compare the files to other cameras with this in mind, the results are not that different.  Also, because the red and blue colour pixels are very sparse, the demosaicing of XTrans files needs to average larger groups of pixels to receover each single pixel RGB value.  The effect of averaging / sampling a larger number of pixels (Bayer uses 4, Fuji more), is obviously a smoothing effect as you are averaging a greater number of values.  This has the same effect as noise reduction (it's essentially the same thing), which makes the files look comparatively smooth, but also leads to some loss of the very finest details.  I always found certain types of file at high ISO always appeared to lack the very finest detail and micro contrast - texture in skin was one example I kept noticing.  So whilst the files appear clean, when ISO is taken into account, and Bayer files have mild noise reduction is applied, there is often very little difference.  All of this view is based on my experience with the 16MP XTrans sensor, and using several other Bayer sensors.

Yeah, Art, I was aware of all of this - and I dont care. Why you insist on pulling apart anything Fuji related, I have no idea. Are you working for Sony? You know this is a Fuji forum, yes?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, franco said:

Yeah, Art, I was aware of all of this - and I dont care. Why you insist on pulling apart anything Fuji related, I have no idea. Are you working for Sony? You know this is a Fuji forum, yes?

In the time that I owned an X Pro 1, there was much hyperbole about low light / high ISO ability, that often appeared to be not very well informed, and not entirely in line with my own experience.  I'm sorry if pointing out some of what I found is so objectionable to you - it isn't criticism of Fuji per se, just stating what I found.  My intention wasn't to be factually incorrect, and I am quite happy to have a discussion about the points raised in light of evidence or experience to the contrary. 

Fuji themselves produced marketing material about X Trans that talked about low noise, so I think it's only fair to make an appraisal of that claim.  There has been much mythos around X Trans based on marketing, but if one takes the time to understand the origins of the sensor and the layout of the colour filter array on the sensor stack, it becomes possible to separate myth and marketing from something closer to "fact".

I didn't mention other brands, you did.  I am freelance and photograph semi-professionally, using what I think I need to "get the job done", a mixture of APS-C and Full Frame.  I still own an original X100, which I eventually developed some affection for, although I haven't used it much recently.

• Like 1

Nice shots Franco :) I've been really impressed with the high ISO performance of the X-Pro 2, that it makes usable shots at ISO 12800 is amazing to me. Whether that's attributable to the X-Trans or some other magic I don't know (or care), but they do seem very good at keeping colour noise low which is the real killer to image quality, rather than bit of grain.

• Like 2

Nice photographs on your Blog!

It's nice that you get so close to people.

Fujifilm has a good sensor and produce photos with impressing colors even under low light conditions. I have tried with the X-T1 and X-T2. But when you go higher than ISO 3500 you also need post processing skills to finishing the pic.
I have tested on hockey games other camera brands and in many cases the images were completely unusable at ISO 1600 and lots of lost information in the RAW-file.

I hope and wish that my next new camera will be Fujifilm X-Pro 2 :-)