EricaSerena

XT2 and 16-55 focussing issues. Lens or user error?

I was hoping not to find something like this on the internet but sadly I did...

I am having the exact the same problem with this combo (XT2 + 16-55). Sometimes I get incredible sharp shots and other times I get these soft/blurry images - with different shutter speed and aperture settings.

So I guess my lens is a bad copy too.

The worst thing is I bought it used while traveling in the USA so no warranty and probably no chance to have it repaired here in Brazil.

I just feel so sad right now... :(

On 9. 3. 2017 at 1:20 AM, Gusuemura said:

I was hoping not to find something like this on the internet but sadly I did...

I am having the exact the same problem with this combo (XT2 + 16-55). Sometimes I get incredible sharp shots and other times I get these soft/blurry images - with different shutter speed and aperture settings.

So I guess my lens is a bad copy too.

The worst thing is I bought it used while traveling in the USA so no warranty and probably no chance to have it repaired here in Brazil.

I just feel so sad right now... :(

Dear Gusuemura,

what is the result of your problems with the camera? I have similar problems but I am pretty sure, that it is caused by the X-T2 body and not lenses. Jiri

It is impossible for us to even guess what the problems may be without a wider explanation and several different image files complete with exif info to show the problem. 99.9% of the time it is user error or perhaps user misunderstanding of how to use the AF.

Suffice to say that the XT2 + 16-55 f2.8 is an exceptional combo.

Hi, my problems are well described for example on this conference: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59776315. There are others as well to support the argument, that the problem is in the Autofocus of Fuji X-T2 body and not lenses (eg. 16-55/2.8, 18-55/2.8-4.0 even 50-140mm f/2,8 etc.) 

The main problem is, that the focusing points indicate (by changing of the color to green and by beeping) that the camera is focused while it is NOT, i.e. not focused to the area of the indicated focusing poins. When focusing to the sky with fog the focusing indicator properly informs that it is not focused (by changing to red color and not beeping).

In my case the blurry pictures were taken with Focus Mode selector on „s“ + Drive Dial mode on „S“, i.e. single shot/single frame, mainly using middle size focusing area (3x3 points). Nevertheless the blurry photos are produced also for single focusing point.

It is also possible to see the indication of the focusing problem with AF Distance indicator (Camera setup. “Disp. Custom Setting – AF Distance indicator – ON”). This indicator shows wrong distance for blurry photos. For example: If we take landscape picture with the distance of 10m to infinity then after several half pressing of the shutter button (focusing) we can see wrong distance on the indicator – let’s say we get 1,5m-3,0m instead of correct 10m – infinity. The fosucing points that are located in the area of 10m – infinity wrongly indicate, that is focused (by changing of the color to green and by beeping). From the pictures that have some foreground it is also obvious, that the camera is focused to much shorter distance than that would correspond to the indicated focusing points. That would also explain fully blurry photos of some landscapes that do not have any foreground. Camera is most probably focused to e.g. 1,5m-3,0m instead to infinity.

Thanks in advance for your comments / recommendations,

Jiri

2 hours ago, Jiri.B said:

Hi, my problems are well described for example on this conference: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59776315. There are others as well to support the argument, that the problem is in the Autofocus of Fuji X-T2 body and not lenses (eg. 16-55/2.8, 18-55/2.8-4.0 even 50-140mm f/2,8 etc.) 

The main problem is, that the focusing points indicate (by changing of the color to green and by beeping) that the camera is focused while it is NOT, i.e. not focused to the area of the indicated focusing poins. When focusing to the sky with fog the focusing indicator properly informs that it is not focused (by changing to red color and not beeping).

In my case the blurry pictures were taken with Focus Mode selector on „s“ + Drive Dial mode on „S“, i.e. single shot/single frame, mainly using middle size focusing area (3x3 points). Nevertheless the blurry photos are produced also for single focusing point.

It is also possible to see the indication of the focusing problem with AF Distance indicator (Camera setup. “Disp. Custom Setting – AF Distance indicator – ON”). This indicator shows wrong distance for blurry photos. For example: If we take landscape picture with the distance of 10m to infinity then after several half pressing of the shutter button (focusing) we can see wrong distance on the indicator – let’s say we get 1,5m-3,0m instead of correct 10m – infinity. The fosucing points that are located in the area of 10m – infinity wrongly indicate, that is focused (by changing of the color to green and by beeping). From the pictures that have some foreground it is also obvious, that the camera is focused to much shorter distance than that would correspond to the indicated focusing points. That would also explain fully blurry photos of some landscapes that do not have any foreground. Camera is most probably focused to e.g. 1,5m-3,0m instead to infinity.

Thanks in advance for your comments / recommendations,

Jiri

Thanks for the detailed explanation Jiri.B

I have to say first that all Fuji X cameras from the original X100 and X-pro1 have shown wildly inaccurate distances and DoF scales. There was also at one time a problem, mostly with the X100 series, where each press of the shutter button caused the displayed distance to jump closer. These problems were supposedly fixed with a FW update (2 updates back I think, although I still find the distance scale inaccurate). Even since then - there have been problems reported including some on this forum where the camera has been returned to Fuji for a new motherboard to be fitted to cure the problem. If your camera/s are within warranty they should be repaired and even if they are not, I think you should ask Fuji about a free repair since it is now a know failing on a few cameras.

I would trust the the beep (which I switch off when I get a new a camera) and I only check the green light in low visibility situations. For me the jump into focus is obvious enough. I should add though that my photography these days is not practiced under exacting circumstances and rarely do I need to shoot quickly.

Dear veejaycee,

thank you for the comments. I have the motherboard already replaced - the issue susstain. The percentage of blurry photos dicrease but not significantly. It is high and unacceptable.

I mentioned that the beeping was on to support the claim, that Fuji X-T2 camera indicates focusing (by beeping), while it is NOT properly focused.  Otherwise I never use this function.

It would be a shame if I have to focus manually with the camera of this price level. Jiri

14 minutes ago, Jiri.B said:

Dear veejaycee,

thank you for the comments. I have the motherboard already replaced - the issue susstain. The percentage of blurry photos dicrease but not significantly. It is high and unacceptable.

I mentioned that the beeping was on to support the claim, that Fuji X-T2 camera indicates focusing (by beeping), while it is NOT properly focused.  Otherwise I never use this function.

It would be a shame if I have to focus manually with the camera of this price level. Jiri

Assuming the motherboard was replaced by Fuji - I believe they give another 1 year complete warranty after the replacement. This should not be happening to you. Tell them it is still not right.

Vic