Christopher

Double Sided Lens Cap

Does anyone have experience with using double sided lens caps for your lenses? OP/TECH now offers a sturdy looking double sided lens cap for Fujifilm X mount lenses, I think they might make changing lenses a lot faster and keep them better protected during hectic event coverage lens changes. Not every lens will be as easy to put 'butt to butt' but most of the primes are so small I suspect it wouldn't be an issue other than with the big f/2.8 zooms.

1471468184000_IMG_671869.jpg

They are $16 each though! I'd love to hear some opinions before I spend the money :) I could always epoxy two generic caps together I suppose, but that seems rather messy :D 

16 hours ago, Christopher said:

I could always epoxy two generic caps together I suppose, but that seems rather messy :D 

More than the mess, I am concerned about the strength of the bond. Some plastic materials are difficult to bond even using epoxy or other very strong types of glue. Having a lens falling off the hands because of this could be potentially catastrophic. And, at least for me, normally the same cap goes from the lens to be mounted to the lens that has been removed from the camera. Rather, when changing lenses, more the double caps I seem to need double hands.;)

• Like 1

I keep a spare (rear) lens and body cap in my bag to avoid leaving lens/body surfaces uncovered during the swap. Its easier, safer and faster. If I need to do several changes I place the lenses - hood down in the bag, sans front cap.

I usually swap the rear lens cap from the one about to be mounted to the one removed, I guess I just imagined these double sided caps would let me remove the lens from the camera first, twist it into the double sided cap of the lens about to be mounted, then twist off the lens on the other side to mount on the camera. All in some sort of slick, fluid motion :lol: I suppose I'd need every single lens cap to be replaced by these expensive doubles if I wanted to pull that off.

Mainly I'm asking for my lovely wife who is switching over to the X Series. With her photo journalism background she tends to be pretty rough on her gear, lens caps be damned. Newspapers gave her some bad lens-care habits :D I thought maybe these could be a good solution.

I think those are awesome, but it make my wife cringe when she saw it. Too exposed she said.

I kind of want to try one myself though, all the benefits of a double sided lens cap with the support of a shoulder strap, seems like it would solve that 'third hand' problem I always feel when changing lenses.

I tried this, by sticking two lens rear caps back to back, with a strong glue.

I found it very useful indeed, but was put off when two of them came apart (luckily, in my bag).

So, I didn't trust the idea after that, but there would be no such problem here, that is one, single, plastic molding.

I think this is great, as I found my home made version excellent, if insecure. It really helped my workflow around lens changes.

So. I shall follow your link, and see if I can source them in the UK.

Cheers, John :-)

• Like 1

Hmmn Amazon UK stocks OP/TECH stuff, but they haven't got this.

There was another thread about gluing them together etc, and that mentioned OP/TECH double caps, but that they didn't make one's for Fuji X.

So, is this a recent purchase, Christopher, have they only just come out for Fuji?

If so, they might reach us soon. I definitely recommend them (or the concept of them, and my DIY version).

I do think I saw that the Fuji compatible versions were new to the market, I'll see if I can find any in the UK for you.

If you're ok with ordering from eBay, there's a shop in Seattle that will ship to the UK for what looks to be a very fair exchange rate: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Op-Tech-Double-Sided-Twist-On-Rear-Lens-Cap-FUJI-X-O-Ring-Seal-1101271-/331971061712

They're about 3x the cost of a standard rear cap, but if there really is an advantage...

On 11/27/2016 at 5:40 AM, Christopher said:

I do think I saw that the Fuji compatible versions were new to the market, I'll see if I can find any in the UK for you.

If you're ok with ordering from eBay, there's a shop in Seattle that will ship to the UK for what looks to be a very fair exchange rate: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Op-Tech-Double-Sided-Twist-On-Rear-Lens-Cap-FUJI-X-O-Ring-Seal-1101271-/331971061712

They're about 3x the cost of a standard rear cap, but if there really is an advantage...

Thanks Christopher as I say, I stopped trusting my home made ones as soon as one came apart on me.

I would hope these are molded as one unit, unless they have a shed where cheap labour sit around, high on glue fumes, sticknig them together :-)

Haha yeah, I think they're molded together as one piece :lol:

I still haven't ordered these, but I feel pretty sure I will try at least one or two. Maybe I'll ask for them for Xmas ;) 

• Like 1

When I still trusted my home made ones I used to stick like with like, so the 14mm with the 23.

Or 14, with the 16, as it would be now, and the 50 with the 56mm.

You can then have two lenses you might be using toether, back to back in one neprene lens bag, size medium.

Actually it would probably be more realistic to go with speed of lens, as that is more likely to affect what I can use instead of.

So It makes sense to have the 56mm with the 23mm. that's 1,2, and 1.4. Then the 50mm with the 90mm, and the 14mm with the 27mm.

My brain hurts trying to work out what would be the best way to put them together. I have all the primes up to 56mm (I sold the 18mm though)

Lets's play, how would you put them together and why? I think the 56mm and the 23mm go together because you would need either in a lowlight situation,. :-)

Yeah. I just had a look. I'm going to wait until payday and order 3, Ithink threes what I need :-) 

• Like 1

I would probably carry the smaller primes 'butt to butt' with one of these caps to save space in my bag, and keep the two f/2.8 zooms by themselves. The staples are the 23mm f/2, 35mm f/2, 56mm f/1.2, 16-55mm f/2.8, 40-150mm f/2.8. Maybe one of the wide primes depending on the location, I have the 18mm f/2 and 14mm f/2.8.

If these caps were a bit less expensive I'd probably put double caps on all the lenses, even if I didn't always carry them end to end, just for ease of lens swapping.

It still tickles me how many primes I can carry without feeling like they're a burden, compared to the old Canon setup.

• Like 1

Yes, that seems to be the only drawback, they are expensive, for what they are.

Not as expensive as a trendy letter box hood for my new 16mm. 

£70 for two pieces of pressed metal, is taking the p***s!

p.s.The 16-55 is the only zoom I have. I used to use it all the time. Made a resolution to use primes only this year, and I have to say, I think it's improved my composition skills :-). Now I need the 90mm, and possibly the rumoured 80mm macro, and my life will be complete (start saving for the medium format Fuji ;-)