JMA

are the new X-T2 batteries (NP-W126S ) worth its price?

in my X-T1 I had used watson batteries without problems or difference in performance vs OEMs, so I'm hesitant to spend 3 times the cost of the new Fuji X-T2 batteries.

Do any of you experienced any additional benefit besides "better heat management" as stated by fuji? the performance improves? do they last more?

or at the contrary... using third party batteries decreases camera performance or they last less??

• Like 1

As I've been building out my wife's X-T2 system to replace all of her Canon gear, I had this exact same debate, particularly because she's using the VPB-XT2 battery grip and will utilize boost mode during certain event coverage. In addition, we live in a very hot climate where 42C (108F) days are typical in the summer, so 'better heat management' really caught my attention.

I have only used generic Wasabi Power NP-W126 batteries with my X-T1, and while they might not last quite as long an original, they are a tremendous value that haven't let me down. I really don't like spending the money for 'genuine' batteries, and almost never have!

Back to my wife's X-T2 setup: I simply could not find any definitive answers on how these generic batteries would respond in the X-T2 or the VPB-XT2 grip. I read reviews that seemed to be all over the place, one reviewer would contradict another's experience. In the end, we decided to spend the absurd amount of money on 7 new Fujifilm NP-W126S batteries, if only for peace of mind. She cannot chance missing a shot due to a generic battery swelling and getting stuck in the body - something we read enough in reviews to cause alarm, even if the chances of this happening are slim. The heat management is also something we just could not take a chance on, even if we don't have plans to shoot video.

Maybe we will come to find that generic NP-W126 batteries aren't as risky as we thought, or perhaps a similarly improved generic battery will hit the market soon (I will be keeping an eye out for everyone!), but ultimately peace of mind is a worthwhile expense if you have the means. My photo gigs are less high stakes than my wife's, if it were me I'd gamble on generics for awhile, because I'm not often taking critical shots.

Now that I have the X-T2, VPB-XT2 battery grip, a bunch of Fuji NP-W126S batteries, and two Wasabi Power NP-W126's, I can definitively share how they work together:

In the VPB-XT2 booster grip, you can mix and match generic batteries, Fujifilm NP-W126 batteries, or NP-W126S batteries, in any combination, seemingly all without issue. Boost mode engages and works as expected. I cannot speak to heat issues over long term use, just that the camera functions as expected. Some people have said that you cannot mix and match these batteries in the grip, but that does not seem to be true in my experience.

• Like 1

Thanks @Christopher

I'm more like you, not enough critical work, but when I do is weddings or travel and I definitely do not want to have problems in either. Last weeding I was using XT2+XT1 without grips, both on performance mode and mixed watsons with fujis, no problems, no more or less overheating to make a difference in either body.

The only thing I could note is that XT2 eats more power, almost twice as XT1, but that happens with fujis also....But since is the only test I have, I can not know for sure.... 

other thing that I noticed is the heat is not produced on the battery, is more like on oposite side near the LCD

Strangely, I had battery swelling on 3 fuji X100s NP-95 batteries, not enough to jam, but its easily visible... may be chargers fault??

• Like 1

JMA, Christopher,

My 'S' battery also drains faster on the XT2, so I think we have concurrence of opinion there. 

I have used generic batteries in the T2 for photos and haven't had any bad experiences so far, except for the drainage issue. I try not to use generics for demanding applications like burst shooting, I worry about overheating with older batteries. 

The 'S' battery is expensive though ! Perhaps if you guys find some discounts you will post on the forum here. 

• Like 1

I have bought a couple of cheap versions off eBay and they seem to last just as long as the Fuji one to me. I can buy 5 for the same price as the Fuji one and get a charger with each battery.

• Like 2

The new NP-126S batteries for the X-T2 are pretty much identical as the old ones, with one exception- they've been designed to dissipate heat a little better for shooting 4K video. When I got my X-T2, I just threw the battery in the drawer with all of my other NP-126 batteries, and use it interchangeably without much thought. 

If you're shooting lots of 4K video, you'd definitely want the new NP-126S, but if not, you'll probably have fine results with good generic batteries. I use older NP-126 batteries in my X-T2 all the time with no problem or loss of performance. 

• Like 2

I agree with Dan, it seems that is most likely the reason for the heat dissipation feature.

Currently I'm using some DOT-01 brand batteries that I got through Amazon, and they've been fine so far, but I'm mostly shooting casual stuff and always have a real battery as a backup.

Haven't noticed any strange behavior beyond sudden drain in cold weather, which could happen with any battery. If they start swelling, then I'd be nervous, that's my only fear with any of these... I guess paying attention to how easily they fit into the compartment is a good way to keep track of that, if it happens like with old Wasabi batteries as the horror stories out there seem to indicate.

• Like 1

Hi all as a Fuji X-T2 user

I would like to add my two-pence worth

Firstly you should always use a s/type battery in the camera no question

2nd you can use the cheaper generic batteries in the grip. The problem arises with swollen batteries is caused by

users charging the generic batteries in the grip ( this should not be used to charge generic batteries)

you are putting in a little more than these batteries can handle ( 1'm not an electrician but believe me that is the problem)

you should charge generic batteries in the x-t1 charger

also please note the battery compartment in the X-T2 has four connecter in wear the battery goes look in the small battery compartment on your X-T2,  on the X-T1  the battery compartment has ONLY two connecters.

maybe some one with more experience on battery amps  could  enlighten us

but I do no this if I try to charge generic batteries in the grip they take forever and you will find the grip gets very hot

on the other hand if you charge the proper s/type batteries in the grip it is very quick and there are no heat problems

well that tells me that there is to much power going into the generic non s/type.

all the above is what I have gleaned from the internet and I think it makes sense.

just my opinion above I stand corrected if there  is proof of anything I have said is wrong

I do hope this helps some Fujifilm users

Tom G

the NP-W126s is almost exactly the same as the "old" NP-W126. Same capacity. The only difference is that it will stay a bit cooler as the old one if it is heavily used. That´s it!
I´m using NP-W126 and NP-W126s in my XM1. X-T10, X-T1 and X-T2 and from a users perspective there is absolutely no difference!

Using original batteries or 3rd-party batteries is a totally different story and there are as many opinions as battery vendors out there ;)

Daniel

1. Hi Daniel your quote is just simply wrong no offence meant but see here
  2. Fujifilm WP-126 battery vs. WP-126S fully explained. Why NOT to use the XT1 battery in XT2          

I hope this helps some  that is my intention

Have a nice day

Also please not if you charge the generic x-t1 batteries

in  the grip then they will over heat   I know this for a fact

so don't leave the grip on the camera and charging  NP-W126 - batteries

IT becomes a fire hasard

Tom G

• Like 1

A lot of your earlier comments are correct and are common sense. However ----

Fuji themselves say you can use the older type battery (in fact the X-pro2 was shipping with them). You should not charge them through the battery pack though - old type batteries should be removed for charging in the correct charger. You may not have the same increased frame rate if you use old type in the pack and you must not use the video for longer periods than 10 mins due to overheating.

Personally, I'd use the same batteries all the way through and since I don't use video I'd be happy with NP-W126 units - then again, I don't need the increased frame rate and I definitely don't want the extra size and weight of a battery pack so what I'd actually do is use one new type battery and have a couple of old ones for backup and not buy a battery pack.

In fact, I'm trying to get a handle on how easy the X-Pro2 is to manually focus through the EVF with legacy lenses because if that's okay I'll only be losing the custom AF settings (can probably manage without) and the tilt screen (I shall miss that since I don't bend too easily these days).

Hi there Please note I'm not saying you can not use the x-t1 batteries in the grip you can use them in the grip

what I meant to make plain was NOT to charge the x-t1 batteries in the grip as it overloads these batteries and can causes heat problems, they should be charged out of the grip on the x-t1 charger I think its more for safety reasons

sorry if I never got that over right on previous post

just one more thing I do think that Fuji is well overcharging users of the s/type batteries

the cheapest supplier I have found here in the U.K  is Bristol Cameras NP-W126s  £45

I have nothing to do with the shop if anyone has found a cheaper supplier please let all us

X-T2 user know   Thank You

That's the only thing I have against them

Tom G

• Like 1

update on my own experience.

I have been using the original Fuji NP-W126S that came with the camera as well as XT1 NP-W126 and 3 Watson for 4 months now on my XT2.

• 2 of the 3 watson's swelled by a tiny amount, one just barely fits in the camera, so I stopped using them. (same happened to a friend on wasabis, 3 of 12 swelled)
  • NP-W126 (non S) was working good until I tried to record a short 4k Video clip, it died in 3 seconds, screen got fully red. I tried with another battery and XT2 worked correctly. Now NP-W126 battery does not charge at all.
  • NP-W126S still works as new, and had always gave me more shots than other batteries.

On XT1 I never had an issue with any of the batteries so my conclusion is that the non-S batteries (fuji or third party) are not capable to feed the high power needs of XT2 in the long run.

hopefully third party companies make soon an S version, because fujis are insanely expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiri said:

Hi, I've updated my NP-W126 battery test at http://ultralightphotography.net/gear/fuji-cameras/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-np-w126-batteries/ with temperature measurements and some info about their swelling in general. According to my test, some brands seem to be pretty safe as NP-W126 replacement, but others should be avoided.

Jiri

Thank you very much for this useful analysis Jiri. I shall revisit your page when It's time for me to order a second spare and new units for XP1/XE1. As it is, I have a spare original on order but as a non video shooter I don't have the battery grip because I don't want the extra unnecessary size and weight.