FujiBeast

What to Do With a New X-Pro 2 Right Out of The Box

I recently bought a X-Pro 2 and I'm super excited about it. Since you have had more experience than me with it (I've hear GREAT things about this camera), what things should I do right out of the box aside from reading the manual? Upgrade firmware? Add any firmware updates / plugins / colors... are there any hacks you have found?

1 hour ago, FujiBeast said:

I recently bought a X-Pro 2 and I'm super excited about it. Since you have had more experience than me with it (I've hear GREAT things about this camera), what things should I do right out of the box aside from reading the manual? Upgrade firmware? Add any firmware updates / plugins / colors... are there any hacks you have found?

I'm going to hold off responding to this but I will be watching with rapt attention.

Definitely do a firmware update on both the body and your lenses. You can put all the firmware files on the same SD card, all at once, and then run through each lens one by one. You can find all the latest firmware files on Fujifilm's website: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html

The update process is easy, you simply load all of the firmware .DAT files onto an SD card (they are uniquely named) and put it in the camera, then put a well charged battery into your camera, and turn the camera while holding the DISP/BACK button down. This will bring up a simple firmware update interface. It will ask you to choose whether you want to update the body or the attached lens. Lenses update pretty quickly, the X-Pro2 might take a minute or two.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christopher said:

Definitely do a firmware update on both the body and your lenses. You can put all the firmware files on the same SD card, all at once, and then run through each lens one by one. You can find all the latest firmware files on Fujifilm's website: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html

The update process is easy, you simply load all of the firmware .DAT files onto an SD card (they are uniquely named) and put it in the camera, then put a well charged battery into your camera, and turn the camera while holding the DISP/BACK button down. This will bring up a simple firmware update interface. It will ask you to choose whether you want to update the body or the attached lens. Lenses update pretty quickly, the X-Pro2 might take a minute or two.

Awesome, thank you. Pumped to get this thing rolling. My website is wendellfernandes.com. I'm a Canon shooter and have had the X100T and I'm trying to see if I can move to Fuji slowly :P

That's great, welcome to the community! I bet you'll move over to full time Fujifilm much sooner than you expect. Your Canon DSLR is going to feel very antiquated.

My advice is to not expect this camera to work like your DSLR, don't try to force it to be. Embrace the new workflow. Your X100T has shown you that already, but this next generation really has a performance boost that moves it to a next level, you can trust it.

Get used to moving your focal point with the joystick, it's the greatest thing ever. Half press the shutter to lock it in, no need to press the joystick again. Double press it to return it to center.

If you shoot manual you're surely not going to be used to an old school shutter speed dial. If you'd rather use that scroll wheel on the back where your thumb falls, just put your shutter speed dial to 'T' and then you can use the wheel instead.

Try out the OVF to see if it's for you, but don't be disappointed if it's not. It's like on the X100T, but your frame lines will vary so much more, it might be frustrating. The EVF is the real game changer here, super fast refresh WYSIWYG live view with almost no blackout. Your DSLR cannot touch that.

Have fun with it!

• Like 1

"If you shoot manual you're surely not going to be used to an old school shutter speed dial. If you'd rather use that scroll wheel on the back where your thumb falls, just put your shutter speed dial to 'T' and then you can use the wheel instead." 

Is there a dial in front of the camera? or just the back? I do shoot manual most of the time.

There is one on both sides! I think by default the shutter speed will be set with the rear one when the SS Dial is set to T, but you can reverse this behavior with a setting in the menu.