Khechog

X100f digital teleconverter work with TCL-X100?

Khechog

Hi, anyone know if the X100f's digital teleconverter works in conjunction with the TCL-X100 teleconverter lens? If yes any idea what equivalent focal lengths can be achieved?

Many thanks.

K1W1_Mk2

As there is no electrical connection between the camera and the TCK (or WCL for that matter) I can't see why the digital teleconverter will not work. Nobody will know how well it works until after 23 Feb and somebody can actually try it. The digital teleconverter is supposed to be able to double the focal length of the standard lens from 35mm equiv to 70mm equiv so if the ratio were to stay the same with the TCL fitted it would double the 50mm equiv to 100mm equiv.

Khechog

Thanks for your response. Seems some of the reviewers who've had early access have looked into this already and yes, the TCL does work with the digital teleconverter, yielding focal lengths equivalent to about 110mm. I'm going to be interested to find out what a 16MP crop looks like out of such a file. If it's good then you're getting some serious 'telephoto' action from such a small camera!

Oh, here's the link to the review:

http://macfilos.com/photo/2017/2/5/fuji-x100f-first-impressions-on-the-streets-of-london

• Like 1

Christopher

Thanks for confirming @Khechog!

One thing I recently learned about the second generation teleconverter and wide angle adaptors is that they have embedded magnets that tell the new X100F when each lens is attached, so the camera automatically changes the frame lines and exif info now. Optically they are the same, it's just a convenience to no longer have to set it in the menu.

robthebruce

A happy coincidence to see this discussion take place as I was wondering about the combined ability of the 100F digital teleconverter with the TCL as well. I would be quite happy on a long trip to take the 100F, plus the TCT and my X-E1 with the 14mm to give the extra wide angle for the interior of buildings. The combined weight would be considerably less than what I currently take. I was using my X-E1 with the 23mm f 1.4 this week and still miss the  'convenience' of the x100 series and its more stubby and balanced feel. (My daughter has taken the x100 to Indonesia for the year.)

The panorama ability of the x100F, especially when using it in 'portrait' format (held vertically), might be enough to dispense with the 14mm entirely like the example below shows.

The cost of the new camera could be offset by the sale of a spare lens - like my 23 f1.4.

Pano 1.jpg

K1W1_Mk2
2 hours ago, Khechog said:

I'm going to be interested to find out what a 16MP crop looks like out of such a file.

The X100s and T are both 16MP and there is nothing wrong with the files from those cameras.

K1W1_Mk2
2 hours ago, Christopher said:

One thing I recently learned about the second generation teleconverter and wide angle adaptors is that they have embedded magnets that tell the new X100F when each lens is attached, so the camera automatically changes the frame lines and exif info now. Optically they are the same, it's just a convenience to no longer have to set it in the menu.

That is just to stop us klutz's who fit the TCL or WCL then forget to change the menu or as i usually do forget to rest the menu after I remove the TCL or WCL.

I actually can't tell what the difference with the menu off or on is anyway. I think that all it really does it adjust the EXIF.

Christopher

Yeah, it adjusts the EXIF info and the projected frame lines in the OVF, but I bet you only use the EVF just like me :) 

K1W1_Mk2
17 hours ago, Christopher said:

Yeah, it adjusts the EXIF info and the projected frame lines in the OVF, but I bet you only use the EVF just like me :) 

Yes EVF most of the time but I was talking about the resulting photos. I have tried taking pics with the menu setting on and off and I can't see any difference in the actual image, only the EXIF.

robthebruce

This gives a good example of what the teleconverters with do when combined with the digital teleconverter of the X100F.

farrell
On 2/15/2017 at 7:35 PM, K1W1_Mk2 said:

The X100s and T are both 16MP and there is nothing wrong with the files from those cameras.

My X100S stands up to pretty aggressive cropping very well.

Also the JPEGS it produces are nothing short of spectacular.

farrell

The devices are compatible but conceptually invalid for my intended use. 

The X100 system is monolithic by design and i will keep it that way so

it will maintain its barely over one pound weight and need no luggage. 

I do have the Fuji never-ready case, quite ready without its top, which

is only used when the camera isn't.

Dismason
On 16.2.2017 at 2:43 AM, Christopher said:

Here is one example from our the latest Hockey night game. This photo is taken with X100F + teleconverter II (focal length: 33mm).

33mm.thumb.jpg.ea8d18aa941baf28241dbad0fd331fc4.jpg