Darryl

X Pro 2 Feature request

Darryl

Hello All,

I am a new Fuji user for the past 5 months. And I LOVE these cameras, I’ve recommended them to no less than 14 people in my 6 months of owning one sine I got an XT1 last summer. That said, I am officially “All In” after shooting with the sony A series previously. I love the X Pro 2 for shooting in the streets but some things vex me and while these are not a big deal I think they would add even more practicality, functionality, and most importantly - speed to the camera which could really take it to next level in terms of speed and accuracy for still images. Here are a few suggestions/requests I would like to make to Fuji engineers since I hear that they listen, but have no idea where to make the requests. So I will do it here with the hopes that someone will guide me or someone at Fuji will see this. I plan on using this Camera for the next 3-5 years with any luck so hopefully they listen. 

* Expansion of function buttons. 

A. The front and rear control wheels currently have no functionality while shooting or until the joystick is pressed to control the focus area.  I would ask that  an update be made so that they can be programmed/used for other tasks such as changing the ISO or Shutter speed on the fly

* Add  “press” functionality for the front and rear control wheels

* Add ISO control via the via the rear wheel

this could be implemented in a few ways but i am thinking an override in the menu where either H or L  on the ISO then becomes the override for scrolling through ISO stops (maybe even add iso 100) via software

* Allow movie/video recording to be initiated 

* Lastly allow the AF-L and AE-L buttons to be assigned to any function.

Thanks!

Dr.S

Darryl,

my request is to remove some 90-95% of features!

It is about shooting with a photo camera not with a computer.

Think film era: shutter sped, aperture and restricted ISO range

Darryl

Yea. No one said remove anything. I'm asking to Add functionality and no one requested you be a little bitch you could have kept your snarky response in your back pocket. The iso can't go below 200 unless it does it automatically for you. I don't like to shoot like that. How am I asking to remove features when I'm only asking for it to have extra functionality from the limited functionality of the actually function buttons. Either way you're response is lame and borderline useless. But thanks 

Dr.S

Darryl, did you heard something about "democracy"?

It's a Greek word, seems to be very rare those days in the US....

Darryl

Considering the US is a representative republic and was never a true democracy I'd say you're right. And need to study more actually history 

Either way the majority of my shooting happens at night and the limited control is vexing. Why can't one of the wheels (that do nothing)while shooting be used to control iso?

Dr.S

I meant, the forum should be democratic to accept multiple views.

I'm saying it already for long time, the camera manufacturers should make the firmware configurable on PC/Mac so every user could upload his own version to camera.

Darryl

Oh in that case please accept my apologies. I can agree with that. 

veejaycee
On 08/03/2017 at 9:37 PM, Darryl said:

Hello All,

I am a new Fuji user for the past 5 months. And I LOVE these cameras, I’ve recommended them to no less than 14 people in my 6 months of owning one sine I got an XT1 last summer. That said, I am officially “All In” after shooting with the sony A series previously. I love the X Pro 2 for shooting in the streets but some things vex me and while these are not a big deal I think they would add even more practicality, functionality, and most importantly - speed to the camera which could really take it to next level in terms of speed and accuracy for still images. Here are a few suggestions/requests I would like to make to Fuji engineers since I hear that they listen, but have no idea where to make the requests. So I will do it here with the hopes that someone will guide me or someone at Fuji will see this. I plan on using this Camera for the next 3-5 years with any luck so hopefully they listen. 

* Expansion of function buttons. 

A. The front and rear control wheels currently have no functionality while shooting or until the joystick is pressed to control the focus area.  I would ask that  an update be made so that they can be programmed/used for other tasks such as changing the ISO or Shutter speed on the fly

* Add  “press” functionality for the front and rear control wheels

* Add ISO control via the via the rear wheel

this could be implemented in a few ways but i am thinking an override in the menu where either H or L  on the ISO then becomes the override for scrolling through ISO stops (maybe even add iso 100) via software

* Allow movie/video recording to be initiated 

* Lastly allow the AF-L and AE-L buttons to be assigned to any function.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Valdo said:

Darryl,

my request is to remove some 90-95% of features!

It is about shooting with a photo camera not with a computer.

Think film era: shutter sped, aperture and restricted ISO range

Hi Darryl I think some of the functions you are asking for are actually already implemented and others are in the new FW which has disappeared but will will no doubt reappear. I have more to say on your desire for more, more, more in my response to Valdo.

Hi Valdo, Your request, to an extent, echoes what I always wanted, which was a no frills Olympus OM1 with a digital sensor. However, anything with a sensor and therefore processing engine, is a computer. What you describe is available and if you want the quality of hi MP sensor then just buy a manual focus/exposure medium format film camera.

You say you want "restricted ISO" - restricted to what, and why is it necessary to restrict ISO - in fact falsely crippling the camera since one of the greatest advantages of digital is to be carrying "multiple films speeds and types and colour/BW" in  yone body.I do understand that the ISO and dynamic range race seems to be taking over from the MP race but you sound like a purist and at the same time as far from purist as can be.

Why not advocate 10X8 glass plate, why indeed remove only 90-95% of features.for an Xpro2. That is simply another camera altogether and it doesn't need to be a Fuji. It simply wouldn't be an X-Pro2 so while I understand your request for a simpler less auto and more user orientated camera (X-Pro1)., your suggestion should be in a thread of its own under the general discussion heading. A purist care would nothing about the camera, only the result.

I met a lady on a posting website a few years back and gave her basic tuition and advice on how to use her camera. I set it up for AP exposure gave her a run down on exposure and the relationship between aperture, shutter, focal length, distance and depth of field and not much more. She shoots the same way still and basically knows which end of the camera to look through and calls me if she thinks a new lens is on the cards for any further advice - the rest of the time she is busy earning money from her photography. She is a better photographer than I. She has a photographer's/artist's eye and doesn't need to know the ins and outs. She might almost be as well off with FF scene-based point and shoot. That is a case of someone being able to take pictures who wouldn't without modern auto cameras - digital set free a lot of people in that way. Unfortunately, the same dependence on automation has lowered the general standard of photography.

I came to Fuji with the introduction of the XP1 because ti looked as near to my early cameras with complete user control as was possible. I love the external controls rather than menu diving and best of all I like to be able to see my settings without even switching on the camera which I can do with XT1 even more than XP1 especially if I have 14mm or 23mm f1.4 or one of my several old MF lenses fitted. With both these Fuji (and the 16mm f1.4) and old film lenses i can also see distance and DoF scales.

As new cameras were mooted and everyone stated their own personal wants I got annoyed at those asking for decent video, then 4K video. I don't use either and felt - and still do feel - that anyone who wanted a video camera should buy one. or one of those still cameras already capable of good video. They should pay for it - not me. Others insisted a tilt screen was necessary which I poo-pooed. Worse of all was users asking for more auto this and auto that and then for overrides and more parameters. It made me mad that these - mainly latecomers to Fuji should come because they liked the cameras but then wanted to make them just like any other camera on the market and worse almost a point and shoot. Always more, more, more.

I still feel that way about many of the "wants" and that if users spent more time actually setting the camera for their shots and less in applying then overriding and setting parameters for auto everything they would save time and would have made the picture themselves. It almost seems that people love the Fuji look and the IQ yet can't wait to make like every other camera on the market - I just want to shout - leave my Fujis alone! It's like the Americans and Canadians discovering the great and beautiful natural spectacle of the Niagara falls and shouting, "Wow, that is so beautiful - let's build a city and ruin it."

I said earlier that I wanted an OLY OM1 with digital sensor but I now realise my desire for less auto goes only so far and that my wants list is simply shorter than others. - I'm almost 70 and poor health has rendered me far less capable physically. Eyes age - I can no longer focus manually quite as quickly so especially with longer lenses, I need the AF - good AF. I can't get down low for foreground inclusive shots now so that tilt screen is useful too. I still think video has no place in a stills camera but the buying public is split so Fuji has to bow to increase sales.

I still dislike all the automation and those that want more auto then want to be able to set parameters and then overrides. I want to shout at them to learn how to shoot your camera instead of letting it do everything and I usually finish of with my customary - when will you be satisfied? - When you have auto-compose and can send the camera out on its own?

Darryl - on your point about whether Fuji reads these columns - I can't say for sure but I suspect they do have people trawl through the Fuji based websites. Recently on another forum the OP asked about a bubble-like mark on the glass of his new lens and was advised to send it to Fuji. He then phoned Fuji to ask what he should do and the guy at the other end asked "oh, are you the guy that asked about this on etc" so yes, at least some are followed if only by engineers waiting for work to come in. BTW, it was a bubble and the lens replaced.

A rant - but fairly even handed I think. I'm now going for a wipe down with an oily rag and a rest.

Vic

Dr.S
2 hours ago, veejaycee said:

You say you want "restricted ISO" - restricted to what, and why is it necessary to restrict ISO - in fact falsely crippling the camera since one of the greatest advantages of digital is to be carrying "multiple films speeds and types and colour/BW" in  yone body.I do understand that the ISO and dynamic range race seems to be taking over from the MP race but you sound like a purist and at the same time as far from purist as can be.

Vic

Hi Vic,

thank you for reply. Just one clarification, the restricted ISO was related to the film camera.

Deardorff

Add Focus Bracketing.

Some of us use these cameras for more than hand held street photos. No way will I buy a camera that forces me into an electronic finder only.

Per Fuji Tech folks - focus bracketing could be done with firmware updates. But Fuji management above them for some reason won't do it, saying "people who buy the X-Pro caemeras don't photograph that way".

If it is not added shortly the Fuji stuff will be on the resale shelf and I'll go with a nice Nikon D850.