Zaltin

ND filter on the X100 - series

Zaltin

Hi all, 

I've been playing around with my new X100F the last week, and loving it to bits. Coming from the X-T2 (and X70) it's not hard to get to grips with, and it's a might little machine! 

However: new to me is the ND on/off switch. I truly don't get this function. I'm often using the physical 3 (5) stop EV compensation wheel on top of the cameras, but cannot see any difference in the images when the ND filter in the X100F is on or off. Also, no clips or info on the topic, (that I can find) is available online...

Any helpful hints or tips? 

Cheers, o. 

veejaycee

I don't have any of the X100 series but I believe the idea of the built-in ND filter is to enable you to shoot wide open - with or without flash for fill by virtue of the leaf shutter. If you're shooting auto/semi auto exposure or auto ISO then the exposure will appear the same in the evf and in the resulting image but the actual shutter speed, aperture, auto ISO will be different and so will the depth of field.

Obviously. if used at smaller apertures, you can lengthen the shutter speed for smooth water effects and this may be visible on the screen.

Check the menus (screen sub menu) for "Preview exposure/WB in manual mode".  If you have this on the X100F enable it, then switch to manual exposure. Now you should see the differences in the EVF/rear screen as you change any of the parameters including the ND filter.

Vic

• Like 2

Zaltin

Thanks, I think you're right on the money. I just have to fiddle around with it some more to get the hang of it! 

Appreciate the time and effort in replying, 

o. 

K1W1_Mk2

The ND filter is there so you can shoot at SLOWER shutter speeds with large apertures. Think of the ND filter as a pair of sunglasses for your lens. Set the lens to say f2 in bright conditions and check the shutter speed, now enable the ND filter and you will see that the shutter speed is three stops slower. Simple.

The reason the camera has an inbuilt ND filter is that the leaf shutter will produce shadows on images taken at fast shutter speeds with large apertures as it does not move as fast as a traditional shutter so if you want to shoot at large apertures in bright conditions you need to be able to slow the shutter speed down to elimate the shadowing.

Your user manual has a table that shows you the maximum shutter speed you should use at each aperture. It is worth actually taking the time to study it. If the shutter speed used is faster than that you may get shadowing on your images. This is a function of a leaf shutter and is not anything peculiar to Fuji or the X100 series cameras.

(Nice edit Veejaycee. You have now got almost the correct answer. :-). )

• Like 1