TonyF

Upgrade dilemma - XPro2?

Hi - I have an XE2 which I quite like but am thinking of buying a second body (upgrade?). Should I buy an XPro2 (I like the position of the viewfinder on the back left of the camera, as with XE2) or wait for the rumoured XE3. One of my main uses is wildlife photography (particularly birds) with the X100-400 lens. Sample image attached (auto setting, jpg out of camera, cropped but otherwise untreated). Any thoughts?

DSCF2610.JPG

• Like 1

A well focused image Tony.

I have the XT2 and with its large viewfinder it's a given that it is ideal for use as a mirrorless wildlife camera - several pros already using it with 100-400m.

However, that doesn't  mean your preference for the rangefinder style cannot be satisfied as plenty of Fujistas use that too via the OVF with inset evf especially for BiFs where an erratically flying bird (or plane) may disappear from the evf but remains visible in the surrounding OVF, enabling a quick re-aim/re-focus. Of course the evf is that much smaller than in the XT2 but both are very viable wildlife cameras. If manual focusing is often needed for shots like the above between twigs etc then the XT2 viewfinder is better.

The rumoured XE3 later this year might be better for you - equipped with similar functions to the XT20 inc (I feel) the tilt screen. The one fewer AFC custom options should not (IMO as an XT2 user) be considered a great loss.

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful response! Yes, a tilt screen would be a useful additional feature on the hoped-for XE3 - maybe I'll wait for a bit and see what Fuji come up with.

One obvious issue - the OVF of the X Pro cameras doesn't work with lenses longer than about 60mm, therefore is not suitable for tele zoom lens use.  If your main interest is wildlife and birds, I don't think the OVF of the X Pro adds a lot of value.

8 hours ago, artuk said:

One obvious issue - the OVF of the X Pro cameras doesn't work with lenses longer than about 60mm, therefore is not suitable for tele zoom lens use.  If your main interest is wildlife and birds, I don't think the OVF of the X Pro adds a lot of value.

Not so Artuk. Lots of birders are using the XP1 OVF as a "red dot sight" along with the inset EVF. Used this way the red OVF fram line is the sight for bringing the evf back onto the subject when lost through erratic movement. Another benefit, besides not losing the subject from view is that the OVF does not black out when shooting continuous allowing the user to keep the subject in the center and in focus.

The XP1 OVF frame lines go to 60mm and then turn red, but they remain at that size for all longer FLs. I believe (but not sure) that the frame lines of the XP2 go to 90mm.

10 hours ago, veejaycee said:

Not so Artuk. Lots of birders are using the XP1 OVF as a "red dot sight" along with the inset EVF. Used this way the red OVF fram line is the sight for bringing the evf back onto the subject when lost through erratic movement. Another benefit, besides not losing the subject from view is that the OVF does not black out when shooting continuous allowing the user to keep the subject in the center and in focus.

The XP1 OVF frame lines go to 60mm and then turn red, but they remain at that size for all longer FLs. I believe (but not sure) that the frame lines of the XP2 go to 90mm.

without seeing it, I'm not quite sure what you describe looks like (an EVF image inset in the OVF?).  I assume a 600mm equivalent field of view with the 60/90mm framelines is a very small.part of the OVF frame?  I take your point though - rather like "sports finders" on SLRs where the viewfinder shows a larger area than the captured frame.  Does the EVF still.black out with continuous shooting on the latest models?

Yes, an evf inset to one side. The frame lines on my XP1 go no smaller than fits 60mm but I believe the XP2 frame lines go a little smaller to fit 90mm lens - actually ideal size as a sighting frame. I've read some articles and forum posts on using the XP2 this way for BiFs, airplanes and motor sport and users seem happy with it. Contact sports photographers can sometimes see what is happening just out of view of the evf and either shift aim or be ready for what's coming. The problem of course is an already smaller evf being made even smaller as an inset. I assume that these users are owners of the XP2 who have adapted to using their cameras this way rather than actually choosing it as a sports/wildlife camera. IMO the XT2 is a better bet for the dedicated action/wildlife shooter.

Late edit to previous post:

I realise now that I wrote XP1 when I was referring to the XP2 inset evf. The inset evf feature is not available on the XP1.

• Like 1

@TonyF The latest rumors of the X-E3 talk about it having a focal point joystick like the X-Pro2 and X-T2, that's a massive improvement in usability. If you haven't jumped on an X-Pro2 body yet, it seems the X-E3 is nearing, and will provide some good value. There are some good deals around on the X-Pro2 these days, but I bet the X-E3 will still be a better value when it comes out.

Well now we have the X-E3, and it looks like an excellent little camera.

At the moment I'm using an X-Pro 2, but some of the new functionality, of the X-E3 is very attractive, especially some of the touch screen stuff.

I'm seriously thinking of replacing my X-Pro 2 with an X-E3. Obviously, an X-Pro 3 will appear at some point, with this and all sorts of other functionality, but, until then, can anyone think of anything I'm going to really miss, from the X-Pro 2, if I were to change to that?

You got GAS again John.

Repeat after me:

I do not need the XE3

I do not need the XE3

I do not need the XE3

I do not need the XE3

and certainly not in exchange for your XP2!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2017 at 6:57 PM, veejaycee said:

You got GAS again John.

Repeat after me:

I do not need the XE3

I do not need the XE3

I do not need the XE3

I do not need the XE3

and certainly not in exchange for your XP2!

VJC,

Not to point fingers, but I recall a certain someone mentioning that they won't be getting the XT2 nor the 16-55, instead making do with the XT1 and 18-55. :)

As Fuji shooters, I think we should give in and buy everything they make. This way there is no chance we miss any incremental updates or omissions they make :) And the X-E3 looks very nice, reminds me of a sleeker X-E1 , if I was going entry level, I'd choose it in a NY minute. :)

22 minutes ago, raagamuffin said:

VJC,

Not to point fingers, but I recall a certain someone mentioning that they won't be getting the XT2 nor the 16-55, instead making do with the XT1 and 18-55. :)

As Fuji shooters, I think we should give in and buy everything they make. This way there is no chance we miss any incremental updates or omissions they make :) And the X-E3 looks very nice, reminds me of a sleeker X-E1 , if I was going entry level, I'd choose it in a NY minute. :)

Confucius say - don't do as I do - do as I tell you. ;)

Actually what I said was that I wasn't going to rush out and buy an XT2 but wait for prices to drop. After a year I was still happy with the XT1 but someone made me an offer for it at a really good price and at almost the same time I was recommended to buy a refurb from a regretful GAS sufferer at a lot less than they paid Fuji. I finished up paying out £200 + XT1 for the XT2.

My advice for the 16-55 f2.8 (which still stands) was - if you are primarily a prime shooter (like me and which hints at being slightly anal about IQ) and only need zoom for such as vacations, you only need buy the 18-55mm XF or indeed the 16-50mm XC since it will be used only as occasional walkaround.

It was when I was commenting on the 18-55-16-55 debate on a Fuji forum that I would only buy one if it was cheap (unlikely since they don't come up for sale much) that a forum member tipped me off about one for sale at Park cameras. It was still available at a remarkable price and after a chat with my conscience, a promise (not kept) to sell my 18-55mm and without the benefit of your councel to stand up to GAS, I succumbed. The way I look at it you owe me £430! :)

I feel the 16-55mm f2.8 comes into its own on the 24MP sensor. On XT1 the difference with 18-55 is not obvious at any time and not really visible at f5.6 and smaller unless you're viewing at full size - except of course at 16mm or 55mm f2.8 where the gain in bokeh is definitely worth having. Whether it is worth enough to make carrying the extra size and weight is for the individual to decide. As it is, I prefer to use the XT2 and 16-55mm - maybe + 90mm f2 (both WR and Fujis 2 fastest focusing lenses). However, even this 1/2 lens outfit is sometimes too much for comfort these days and then i pick up my XT20 + 18-55 or if using primes then then again, the XT20 with 14, 23, 35, 60 (2 from 4). Having now reached my 70s and suffering from increasingly poor health I use the primes less. I walk with a stick which I leave go of to shoot but which is a nuisance if I need to swap primes and carrying more than 1 camera/lens means I would have a bag swinging around too, so you can see why the simple XT2/16-55 sans bag is close to ideal for me. I don't shoot much in wet weather now but If I am out in it, I don't want to have to take bags or covers and so on. I'm can carry the XT2 and 16-55 f2.8 as they are in average British rainfall perhaps putting it under my coat when needed. The thing is - the XT20+18-55 is half the size and weight of XT2+16-55.

I'd have the XE3 rather than previous generations or XT20 but not in exchange for XP2, XT2. I do think it was a miscalculation to not include tilt screen in XE3. I'm also annoyed that Fuji made the XE3 smaller in width when I'd always pushed the EX style over XT10/20 because the small extra width made the camera thinner, much more holdable and less squat/square and than XT10/20.

Be aware that a very useful feature added via upgrade to the X-T2 is NOT available for the X-Pro2 or the X-E3.

That is Focus Bracketing. Others call it focus stacking.

Have talked with a half dozen different Fuji folk, USA and Japan as well as tech folks.

Tech guys say it could be done with a firmware update. Fuji says "we don't know anything, call the tech guys" and then the tech guys say to contact Fuji Corporate. Back and forth.

Tried the Focus Stacking with a friends X-T2 and really like the feature. Don't like the camera - much prefer the X-Pro2.

One Fuji USA rep on the phone told me "X-Pro2 owners don't use their camera that way" - somehow not understanding we do own tripods and know how to use them. Not everything is hand held street photography. And no, I won't buy an X-T2 for the feature. I'll switch to a Nikon D850 instead. If I'm forced to buy another camera for the feature it will be one I know I like using.