johnwillyums

First the eyepiece, now the entire shutter assembly. Fell off.

artuk
4 hours ago, johnwillyums said:

I have plenty of time, and I would enjoy trying to reason with Fuji HQ.

Anybody know who to write too?

After the release of the X Pro 1 I did email them twice about issues with the camera, but I *think* I was asked to email Fuji UK who were going to forward my comments on.  I will need to check back through my email history and see what I can find.

The other option is to find the email address of the Fuji UK CEOs office - it's often the most expedient way of getting customer service issues resolved, from first hand experience and working for a large UK organisations who had processes whenever questions and issues were escalated via that route.

Online sources provide the following:

Fujifilm Europe President: Kurose_Takaaki@fujifilm.eu

I can't find an email address for UK,  just names of Directors:

Neil Llewellyn DENHAM secretary since 24 Mar 2017
Masaharu FUKUMOTO director since 03 Feb 2016
Go MIYAZAKI director since 10 Aug 2016

so you could try posting a letter addressed to one or all of them, it will probably find the chairmans / CEOs office.

I haven't found an email for Fuji Japan.

• Thanks 1

johnwillyums

Fujifilm Europe's main man might be the one to go to. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Cheers, @artuk

artuk

Fuji have been very clever at garnering positive online reviews by carefully placing cameras with bloggers etc who generally write very positive (I could say "uncritical") reviews of the cameras they have been given.  This is clearly done for free positive online media coverage.

May I suggest finding as many of them as you can, finding their most recent posts about how wonderful their (free) cameras are, and posting a comment about your unreliable and self-destructing camera?

It may be that as most of these people with free cameras have a relationship with Fuji, that your problems get more attention from Fuji, who may decide to change their mind about how to deal with your experience.

I read last week that there is a known issue with the X Pro 2 where the shutter doesn't operate correctly the first time it is released after start up.   I understand some cameras have problems, but these stories aren't good. 

Nikon have had issues with several of their SLRs, and haven't always dealt with it professionally either - I read of one user who had the shutter assembly replaced 3 times because of manufacturing defects with the parts - terrible.

• Thanks 1

johnwillyums

Thank you both for your support.

I've got a draft email, either for for Mr Takaana, or the CEO in Japan, if I can get an addreess for him.

I'm tempted to phone Gordon, at Fuji UK, and tell him my intentions. I might also suggest that he was being less than truthful, citing the dpreview case.

As part of my email I've had to write a short history of the camera :

Purchased 28th April 2016, October 16 requires new base and lens mount, February 2017 requires new top plate, and viewfinder assembly, Julu 2017 requires new top plate and shutter button assembly.

Not very impressive for a camera body, and as you suggest artuk, I wonder what Ted Viera would say about this. ;-)

johnwillyums

Well, here's my email to Mr Takaaki, unfortunately it's bounced back, so the address must be wrong, anyone else know where I can send it, or any suggestions for amendments, or comments on the content.

to Kurose_Takaaki

Dear Sir,

I am writing to you from the UK, as I am unable to obtain any contact email addresses, for Fuji employees within the UK.

In April 2016, I purchased a new X-Pro 2. It replaced my X-T1, I have also owned an X-E2, X-E1, an original X100, and now I have the X100F.

I also own every prime lens that you have manufactured for the XF mount. So I have a considerable investment in Fujifim's X Series.

The X-Pro 2 is sold as a professional camera. This is a short history of my X-Pro2 :-

April 2016 - purchased
October 2016 - returned. New base plate and lens mount required.
February 2017 - returned. New top plate and viewfinder assembly fitted
July 2017 - returned - New shutter button assembly, possibly new top plate required.

This camera just keeps failing me, and this most recent issue, the entire shutter button assembly was lost, it simply fell off the camera (I was able to recover some parts from my front path).

Your UK repairs department are charging me 200 pounds for this repair. 

I find this extremely poor practice on Fuji UK's part. There has been no damage done to the camera, it has not been dropped, or caught on something, yet the whole on/of switch, plus shutter button simply falls out.

I remonstrated with Fuji UK, because this is a design flaw, it is not damage, or wear and tear, the shutter assembly, has simply become loose and fallen off.

Also, I know from various Fuji forums that this is not an isolated incident, and that in the USA, this flaw has shown itself both on the X-T2, and the X-Pro 2.

These people received free of charge repairs, yet Fuji UK refused to repair mine until I had paid 200 pounds, which I now have. They refused to even start the repair, until I had paid, because they knew I was struggling to find 200 pounds (in fact I've had to sell a lens to pay for the camera repair)

So, I'm contacting you in the hope that you will see what has happened here. I have bought a professional camera body, that has fallen to pieces on me.

Under The Sale of Goods Act, goods sold as "professional", costing 1650 pounds, carry a greater expectation of reasonable life. 
This camera falls far short of that, I am an old age pensioner, on a limited income, I am not a war photographer, or in any way using this camera in any extreme conditions.

I would ask you to consider my issue, I shall continue to campaign to get this issue known, and your companies (in the UK) attitude towards it's customers.

I would be grateful if you could assist me, by giving me an email address, for your CEO, in Japan, so that I can write to him.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, Mr Takaaki, I write in sorrow rather than anger. I have no wish to denigrate your company, but surely a "professional" build quality carries implications, and expectations, this camera has simply been a disaster since I bought it.

For a company that talks about "kaizen", and caring for it's user community, it is extremely poor.I personally feel that this camera is, what we call in England, a "Friday Afternoon Special", it should never have passed quality control.

So, regrettably, I shall devote my time to making this issue known, and more importantly the way Fuji UK have treated me, I am online "friends" with several of your "Fuji Photographers", notably Ted Viera, so I shall publish this issue far and wide.

I've paid for this repair now, so I should get the camera back in a couple of weeks, but experience shows me I cannot rely on it.

Yours sincerely, John Williams
  • Like 1

johnwillyums

Re above.

I looked on Fuji's main site, and sent the mail to the UK section. I'm not sure whether that means it will just get re-directed to the people I've been dealing with here.

We shall see, I spoke to Fuji.co.uk earlier, the guy said that my payment has gone through, so they will now, "put it on the repair line"

I asked how long, he said "a couple of weeks"

This is just great.

Travelpoet

That is exactly what happened to my brand new (3 months old) X-T2, the shutter button fell off. Gone. I have sent it to NJ for warranty repair (unless they ask me to pay).. this is the first time in 40 years as a photographer that a part has called off a camera. I've lost eye cups, perhaps the small plastic piece that covers the hotshoe, but this, not cool Fuji, not cool. 

johnwillyums

I can see no reason why you won't get a warranty repair, @Travelpoet, but i imagine you are very disappointed with this, as am I.

It now appears that the issue affects both of Fuji's top cameras. I don't have an X-T2 but imagine they have the exact same shutter button assembly.

I just wrote my theory as to how it's happening, but then I thought, I can't be sure, and what does it matter. What matters is that both these cameras have this flaw.

As I said, you will get a warranty repair. In some ways it's good that this has happened whilst you are still within warranty, and so soon after you got it. I bet they make sure your shutter assembly is good and tight.

I've had to pay for mine, which I object to, but for everyone else, with an X-Pro2, or an X-T2. They need to know about this issue.

At least you don't have to worry about your viewfinder falling out :-)

I've posted on Ted Viera, and The Angry Photographer's sites, so I wonder if they will react.

If anyone out there knows who we need to email at Fuji, to get an answer, please let me know.

johnwillyums

I've just been out with X100F. I'm getting paranoid about these shutter releases.

I took a close look, and it appears to be a very similar system, if not identical, apart from size.

If I apply a slight sideways pressure, I find there is some play in the whole assembly.

I really wish Fuji would make a statement about this issue, so far I know of four people, not including myself, who have had this issue, fortunately before their warranties expired.

These, other four people had X-T2s, and are all in the USA. I figure that the X-T2 is a much bigger seller than than the X-Pro 2. Also there will be far more Fuji cameras on the streets in the US, than in UK, simple math.

This is horrible, I love my X100F, but now I don't have confidence in it's build quality.

artuk
On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:36 AM, johnwillyums said:

Thank you both for your support.

I've got a draft email, either for for Mr Takaana, or the CEO in Japan, if I can get an addreess for him.

I'm tempted to phone Gordon, at Fuji UK, and tell him my intentions. I might also suggest that he was being less than truthful, citing the dpreview case.

As part of my email I've had to write a short history of the camera :

Purchased 28th April 2016, October 16 requires new base and lens mount, February 2017 requires new top plate, and viewfinder assembly, Julu 2017 requires new top plate and shutter button assembly.

Not very impressive for a camera body, and as you suggest artuk, I wonder what Ted Viera would say about this. ;-)

In my  experience, telling customer service representatives that you are going to tell your story of bad service on social media / the internet is of little value, as they are not the same people who deal with a companies social media presence.  If companies do have a social media presence, it can be worth publicly contacting them via their own social media to tell your sad story, and often that seems to get a greater focus of attention than calling someone - hence my comment to spread the word on the social media that Fuji so carefully use to place products and get positive, uncritical free publicity.

I have had a number of problems with my Nissin flash guns (talked about here previously) - Nissin's UK distributor refused to service them as they came from Amazon.de and said I needed to go the distributor in Germany.  Thanks for nothing.  They also denied there were known problems with the flash system.  Recently, having become totally disenchanted with their Air 1 system reliability and thinking of buying something else, I decided to contact them directly through their website, as I don't see why I should have to buy another product when theirs doesn't work properly, and their UK agent has refused to deal with my problems.

I emailed them twice via their website, and have replied to automated confirmations of my contact, and have had absolutely no response to my critical email detailing all the problems with their products and the terrible after sales support I have received in the UK.  SO as far as I can tell, they simply don't care or don't want to deal with the problems.

At least Fuji are better than Nissin at customer support.

• Like 1

johnwillyums

An addendum to this thread.

Well, I paid my 200 pounds, and now have my repaired X-Pro 2 back, and working fine again.

My mini-campaign to get Fuji's attention seems to have succeeded, and I have been contacted by a Mr Mark Prentice.

He tells me he is in charge of repairs for UK, and most of Europe, and was previously with Fuji in the USA, and initial training in Japan.

He explained to me that he was unable to refund my payment, but wished to reassure me about the problem. When I said that I was aware of 5 others who had this issue, he acknowledged that it can happen, but that the numbers, compared to units sold, were miniscule, and did not qualify for a free repair.
I said that I had 4 return repairs in 14 months, and this was not very good for a professional camera, and he agreed, but stuck to his guns, saying he could not make exceptions on the warranty, as others would expect similar treatment etc.

So, basically, he was apologetic, and friendly. He said that as some recompense for the unusual "bad luck" I've had, he would enroll me in Fuji professional service, for free, and that if I had any further problems, I could contact him directly. I'm not sure what is included in the pro service, but he mentioned free "health checks", automatic front of the queue repairs, and 15% off the cost of repairs. So that is some sign of goodwill.

Of interest to all, would be his comments regarding soft shutter buttons, and mechanical cable releases. Some have suggested that both these accessories can cause this shutter button issue. Mr Prentice told me he did not believe soft shutter release buttons were anything to do with this problem. He told me he had used both the expensive Lensmate ones, and Ebay cheapies, and that neither had sufficiently long threads to cause any issues.

However, he was a bit wary of mechanical shutter releases. He told me that he used a mechanical shutter release, but some of them protruded quite a long way. He said that if someone was too forceful in extending the metal shaft, and "really went at it hard" they might dislodge the shutter mechanism, causing the shutter to jam, or fail, but that this would not necessarily loosen the whole assembly.

So, whilst I'm still 200 pounds down, I do feel a little bit more inclined to see his point of view, that I have had very bad luck, but that Fuji do care about their customers.

I'm not sure what is included in my "Fuji Professional Service" package, but, as I said, I shall continue to use the Fuji system.
When I was at my most angry, soon after this had happened, I seriously thought about sacking Fuji, and either going back to Canon, or trying Nikon, as I love their old lenses (the Ai series) I watched reviews of new Nikon's, Canon's, Sony's etc.
I then realised that there is nowhere else to go, I don't think any of the other brands will give me the magic image quality, or the pleasure in use, I get from Fuji, so I'm stuck with them. :-)

I tend to believe what The Angry Photographer says about hardware. He is plainly quite eccentric, and I know of several other photographers who have alleged that he has stolen images, and claimed they were his, and that he is personally, a lousy photographer. Chuck Jines (a rugged individualist&lunatic) had made it a personal quest to attack Ken Wheeler (The Angry Photographer). They appear to have made up, and Chuck Jines is now intent on destroying Ted Forbes' (the Art of Photography), reputation. He launches virulent attacks on his "snowflake" mannerisms, and banal photography. This is one of the things I hate about the internet. I like a lot of Chuck Jines images, and his anarchistic, right wing libertarian attitudes, are reflected in some hard hitting work with opioid abusers. So, I pay for his blog. Have to say, I'm thinking of cancelling, simply because he is so extreme, and I don't want to hear him hating on other photographers.

If you have never seen The Angry Photographer, do check him out. He is sexist, soft racist, and believes he knows more about lenses than anyone else. He may well do, as he seems to have more lenses than Calumet. I watched him reviewing some Voighlander lenses (my next purchase). These were new releases of classic designs, and he seemed to have about three examples of each. I get the impression that he loves the gear more than the pictures, who needs several copies of the same lens (unless you are looking at Soviet legacy glass, one copy would be sufficient for most people.)
One thing he is not, is sponsored by Fuji, or anyone else, so when either Nikon, or Fuji, make a mistake, or issue a poor product, he shows no mercy.

Ted Forbes, may not be the best photographer in the world, but I find his site stimulating. He often looks at the ethos of genre photography, and makes thought provoking videos, about why we take the images we do. He also has a series of profiles of the great, and famous, photographers, which is also quite inspirational, with a lot of good insights.
Then there's cuddly Ted Viera, who, along with Jason Lanier, and Big Head Taco, is a "Fuji Photographer". Obviously, these people are getting their gear supplied by Fuji, they get pre-production stuff to review etc.
So, not necessarily biased, but likely to be, favourable to Fuji, and gloss over any flaws. Bearing that in mind, still good to watch.

Hmmn. I seem to have drifted off the topic, and gone into a ramble about Youtube photography sites. Sorry about that.
All I really had to say was, soft releases are ok, but don't be too forceful with a mechanical shutter release.

Cheers all, John Williams

• Like 1

artuk
6 hours ago, johnwillyums said:

He explained to me that he was unable to refund my payment, but wished to reassure me about the problem. When I said that I was aware of 5 others who had this issue, he acknowledged that it can happen, but that the numbers, compared to units sold, were miniscule, and did not qualify for a free repair.
I said that I had 4 return repairs in 14 months, and this was not very good for a professional camera, and he agreed, but stuck to his guns, saying he could not make exceptions on the warranty, as others would expect similar treatment etc.

So, basically, he was apologetic, and friendly. He said that as some recompense for the unusual "bad luck" I've had, he would enroll me in Fuji professional service, for free, and that if I had any further problems, I could contact him directly. I'm not sure what is included in the pro service, but he mentioned free "health checks", automatic front of the queue repairs, and 15% off the cost of repairs. So that is some sign of goodwill.

So, whilst I'm still 200 pounds down, I do feel a little bit more inclined to see his point of view, that I have had very bad luck, but that Fuji do care about their customers.

I'm not sure what is included in my "Fuji Professional Service" package, but, as I said, I shall continue to use the Fuji system.
When I was at my most angry, soon after this had happened, I seriously thought about sacking Fuji, and either going back to Canon, or trying Nikon, as I love their old lenses (the Ai series) I watched reviews of new Nikon's, Canon's, Sony's etc.
I then realised that there is nowhere else to go, I don't think any of the other brands will give me the magic image quality, or the pleasure in use, I get from Fuji, so I'm stuck with them. :-)

Sorry to say Johnny that it's classic big company service response:

1) He is not WILLING to give you a refund - refunds CAN be given (it's what credit card machines do), but he didn't WANT to do that

2) They have give you something for free that basically costs Fuji nothing.  If you get another, they still charge you, just 15% less

3) Admittedly, the 5 that you know of maybe small compared to the number sold, but you don't know (and he probably doesn't know) how many people have this problem, plus all your other problems, plus problems with the shutter failing to operate the first time the camera is turned on, plus issues with firmware causing focus scale or focusing issues... this is his view of what's acceptable in a mature product range "professional" camera for a system marketed as "made in Japan"?  The last time I met someone from Fuji I gave them the full benefit of my feedback on experience with the X Pro 1 and was basically told "you have to understand the people that developed it previously worked on compact cameras...".... err, right, so that make its all ok for a £1500 does it?

I think you have let them placate you much too easily, and if I were you I would adding comments online about what has happened during this follow up from Fuji, because it hasn't changed anything - you have still had lots of problems with the camera, and you have still had to pay.

Don't buy Nikon, the quality control is probably even worse that Fuji - several of their models have had manufacturing issues with their shutters (some users have had them replaced 3 times!!!), oil leaking from the shutter onto the sensor, light leaks etc.  It seems they just can't get it right, and in some cases have been very slow to acknowledge and deal with some of the issues.

You takes your money and you makes your choice...

• Like 1

johnwillyums

I agree, @artukthe guy gave me nothing , but pleasantries, and as you say the Pro Service thing, is something I probably would have qualified for anyway, membership is based on how many Fuji X products you have bought.

I don't feel placated in any way, I had to sell a very useful little camera (Sony RX100 Mk3) to pay for the repair, and all of the 4 repairs I've had to have over my 14 months of ownership have been faults in the manufacture of the camera, rather than damage, or misuse on my part.

However, I've now spoken to the highest ranking Fuji person I can get hold of, and he has made it plain that Fuji will not repair, or replace, the unit for free.

He contacted me through my complaint on Fujilove's Facebook page, there doesn't seem much else I can do.

Obviously, I still feel that this is very poor for a supposedly professional build quality camera, but, short of repeating myself regarding my experiences with the X-Pro 2, I can't see any other route to take.

I think I would have a case under The Sale of Goods Act, in terms of "reasonable expectations" of lifespan on a product at that price, and described as "professional" but it would entail court proceedings, and I don't think I would get representation free, and Fuji would probably fight the case because of it's implications for them.

I'm open to suggestion, cheers, John.

johnwillyums

I have written another email to Mark Prentice at Fuji UK.

I've quoted @artuk's response, and added some further thoughts of my own, and asked if he can supply me with an email address for someone in Fuji management at their Japanese HQ.

I've also mentioned The Sale of Goods Act 1979. Under the act, goods sold must be of "merchantable" quality, and carry a "reasonable expectation of useful life".

This expectation seems to rather arbitrary, and varies, for example a cooker has a greater expectancy than a 'fridge.

I don't suppose this will worry him overmuch, as I imagine to take legal action would cost me more money than I have, with no guarantee that I would win, or what I would win.

If it cost a lot to get a 200 pound refund it wouldn't be worth doing.

I wonder if he will respond, with a Japanese address I can write to regarding this issue?

johnwillyums

Good news!

As I said in my last post, I sent another email to Mark Prentice, including a copy/paste of @artuk's mail, outlining how he thought I had been too easily placated, and should have received a free repair, if not a new body.
I also included a paragraph regarding The Sale of Goods Act 1967, and how I was being urged to escalate the matter by other Fuji users on various forums.
I didn't expect much to come of that, but : 

"Dear Mr. Williams

Many thanks for your email and forum feedback. 

To be brutally honest, if I feed this back to HQ in Japan, they will forward back to me and ask me to deal with it. 

I suggest to bring this matter to a hopefully, satisfactory conclusion for yourself, I will refund the £200 you paid for the repair. 

This is by no means an admission that there is a fault with the shutter button, but a gesture of goodwill based on the investment you have made in Fujifilm products. 

Please let me know your thoughts. "

So, I have replied to say that a refund would be most welcome, and would he like me to publish, this "gesture" on the various forums I post on.
I've just received a reply, saying he would welcome this.

Note, he is plainly stating that this is not an admission that he feels Fuji have a problem with the shutter assembly. Nonetheless, I get my 200 pounds back.

That's great, and I can now afford the Voightlander 75mm 1.8  Heliar I've been lusting after. However it does not really reassure me, or anyone else, about Fuji's build quality.

None of the issues I've had have been user created, I have not damaged, dropped, or mistreated this camera in any way. I am very aware of keeping my camera pristine, so it will raise a good price should I wish to sell it, and upgrade.
So, really, it's great I got a refund, but none of these faults should have occurred in the first place.

Thanks to those on this forum who have supported me in this matter :-)

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

johnwillyums

Thanks, I must say I am very surprised by this turn of events, when I spoke to this guy on the phone he was pleasant but there was no way he was going to refund me.

Then, a sudden change of heart. Hooray!

Ianmac

Nice to read you got it sorted out to your satisfaction.

Your perseverance has worked to your benefit.

It pays to go to the top and not muck around with the organ grinder, in your case the threat has got the result you should have had in the first instance.

No Junior manager likes getting his name posted around at a high level

artuk

Well done for basically making a big enough issue about it to get what you want!

Regarding sale of goods etc I believe VJC is correct, you can go to county court are represent yourself - I suspect Fuji (and most other companies) would not bother with the expense of sending someone or a lawyer to represent themselves as it would cost more than the claim.  If a defendant doesn't appear in court, the case cans till be heard, and if the judge rules in your favour they are legally bound to pay - if they do not, then I believe a bailiff can then be appointed to reclaim the value.  I'm by no means an expert in this, but that is my understanding. 

johnwillyums

Thanks for you comments @Ianmac and @artuk  yes, I was just about to give up, but I really felt angry that they should not acknowledge these issues as faults.

Obviously, they don't feel the need for a recall, as the issue was sufficiently rare as to be dealt with individually, but I think this shutter issue is a relatively new problem. (Nikon seems to be secretly recalling it's D750, disasterous 100th birthday year for them)

I imagine it's always been a possibility, as the shutter design does not seem to have changed since the original X100, but they are now selling many times as many units as they did with their early X releases, so maybe it's just law of averages.

Looking at it, and having seen it disassembled, I suspect that, if it has been fitted improperly, or maybe through vibration during use, the retaining ring, which screws up from inside the body, could be loosening slightly every time you turn on/off.

Anyway, as I mentioned before, Mr Mark Staples did not think either soft shutter buttons, or mechanical cable releases, were a problem, although he did think a mechanical cable release might do some damage if it was really used too fiercely, but that would probably jam the shutter rather than loosening the housing. So we can rest easy about those.

I hope you're right about actions in the County Court, under The Sale of Goods Act, it's nice to know, even though I'm glad it didn't come to that. As you say, for 200 pounds it would not be worth a companies time, and money, to contest the case.

I'm going to put my refund toward a Voightlander 75mm f 1.8 Heliar :-)

Cheers all, John Williams

Ianmac

For info to those in the UK

the Sale of Goods act was replaced in 2015 by the Consumers Rights Act.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

There is also a possibility that a Camera should be covered by a 2 yr Warranty under EU regulations

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm

John Lewis provide a 2 yr warranty on all their electrical goods- TV, Computers, Cameras etc.

Worth researching if someone has the time.

• Like 2

pcp1960
On 08/07/2017 at 12:00 AM, johnwillyums said:

Well, more bad news about my X-Pro 2. 

I've just returned from a nights shooting, checking my gear, and putting it away.

I noticed that the entire shutter assembly has fallen off, and I can see down inside the camera.

So, I can't turn it on, let alone take pictures.

A few months ago, my entire eyepiece assembly fell off, that was two weeks repair at Fuji UK, now another crucial part of the camera has fallen off.

Not what I expect from as supposedly "professional" camera.

Have to say, I am getting really fed up with this camera falling apart on me.

I have had exactly the same problems as you. Were you charged for the shutter replacement?

thumbnail_Image-11.jpg

thumbnail_Image-10.jpg

• Sad 1