Christopher

Website Updates

Christopher

Hi everyone! You may have noticed a few changes around the community website today, some new features were added and a number of refinements have been made. There are too many to list individually, but I'd like to highlight a few.

New Fluid Forum View

Fluid View is a dynamic listing of recent topics with a forum filter box. It's a way to streamline and personalize your forum view to list topics from only the forums you personally want to follow. Instead of having to browse forum categories individually, Fluid View provides a single list of topics from all forums, along with a filterable list of forum categories that you can pick and choose from. On our forum home page you will see a two new icons at the top right which allow you to toggle between Fluid View and the traditional view.

Here's how it looks on mobile devices:

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 6.21.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 6.33.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 6.34.12 PM.png 

Here's how it looks on a desktop and large tablets:

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 6.22.26 PM.png

Once you toggle you will see topics listed from all forums:

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 6.23.12 PM.png

Then you can filter the topic list by choosing forums you wish to browse from the list:

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 6.24.01 PM.png

New Reactions

Our community's system of 'Likes' to give positive feedback on posts and gallery photos has been expanded to include a few additional choices for 'thanks,' 'haha,' 'confused,' and 'sad'. I may add a few more to the list, I'm open to suggestions!

reaction.gif.cdbb09b8c28b53d505389be864c8253b.gif 

New Signup & Login Options

Twitter is now available as a login method, in addition to the Facebook option, for those of you who prefer to use those when creating accounts or logging in! Existing users can link their accounts as well to streamline logging in in the future, check your account settings for the option.

Post Editor Improvements

The post editor has been further refined to now allow drag and drop uploading of photos right into the editor itself. Mobile uploading is also available for our users on tablets and smart phones!

I'd also like to take the time to highlight how easy it is to share your photos from Flickr in your posts by simply copying and pasting the Flickr photo page address into the editor, it will then automatically embed into your post right before your eyes! This is also true if you paste a full image URL ending in .jpg, it will automatically embed into your post. All sorts of things will auto-embed in fact, all you have to do is paste in the web address, no special code needed! Here's a short list of things you can embed in your posts with a simple URL:

• Instagram photos
  • Twitter tweets
  • Facebook posts and videos
  • Youtube videos
  • Vimeo videos
  • Flickr photos and galleries
  • Imgur photos and galleries

Photo Gallery Refinements

Our photo gallery has been streamlined to improve navigation when viewing images large in the 'lightbox view'. The upload process is also refined, making it easier to title and caption your uploaded photos. Give it a try if you haven't lately, share one of your recent photos!

I think that just about covers the big stuff. I streamlined our navigation just a little bit further, you'll find the 'Activity' tab is now under the 'Community' tab. If you have any questions along the way about how to use a site feature, new or old, I'm here to help!

Thank you to everyone who participates here in the community, your support and advice help readers from all over the world who come here to learn about their cameras and troubleshoot issues that come up. Hi to our readers out here, thanks for stopping by! Don't be shy, join in! ;)

Christopher

Thank you! HTTPS is in the works, some hosting arrangements need to be made first.