lisadosntmatter

xt2 overrides exposure setting and over exposes

lisadosntmatter

I have been taking pictures under direct sunlight and wanted to underexpose my shots. The SS and ISO are on auto and the aperture is at 1.8 and the Exposure was set at -3. When I look through the view finder it looks well underexposed but when I take the picture it is over exposed(image attached). Imaged attached were shot at ISO 200 SS 1/8000 but it still came out so bright. It seems to override my exposure settings.

Has any one had these problems before? Is there something I didn't set up in the setting?

OstrichFarm-4485-2.jpg

farrell

It looks to me as though f/1.8 and -3 might have"topped out" mechanical shutter speed.

It looks to me as though Auto ISO would be trying to set ISO lower than 200 and can't.

What objection, if any, would you have to using a smaller aperture than f/1.8? 

• Like 1

lisadosntmatter

I like having the depth of field. 

But why would the EVF show me an underexposed preview?

K1W1_Mk2

The camera is not something that can defy the laws of light tranmission. In this situation if you are going to shoot at f1.8 and want to underexpose you need filters.

lisadosntmatter

@K1W1_Mk2 Can you explain a bit further? what do you mean I need filters? Thanks much appreciated!

farrell
1 hour ago, lisadosntmatter said:

I defer to the wealth of knowledge on the forum and discreetly withdraw.

veejaycee

It is very surprising that this should be over-exposed at f1.8, 1/8000 and ISO 200 especially if you dialed in -3 stops ev. Can you post a picture complete with Exif information? I just realised, you are using auto ISO. Use fixed ISO (low) because your chosen parameters in auto ISO are obviously wrong.

The filters referred to are Neutral density (ND) filters. I used them for my G/daughter's prom shoot with XT1 and 90mm f2 but the XT1 fastest shutter speed  was only 1/4000 (mechanical). ND filters reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor - often used to extend exposure time for silky flowing water shots.

For a posed image like yours you could use Electronic shutter up to 1/32000 which should solve your problem if the light is really that bright.

lisadosntmatter

@veejaycee What concerns me is that, it's not even remotely underexposed or even at the right exposure it gets over exposed at -3. When taking the picture, the histogram and the Exposure chart shows that shots will be under exposed but once I take the picture its definitely not.

I do want to point out that I have taken pictures under similar conditions with a loaner Xt2 and results were as I had expected. I have had this camera for about a week so I can still return it. Hence why I am concerned about not getting the results I want.

1st data image is for the image in my original post

2nd image is the other picture i took under similar weather + same settings

3rd image is the data for 2nd image

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 11.52.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 11.53.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 11.53.25 AM.png

veejaycee

Well the histograms match their respective images so I can only suggest you switch to electronic shutter for faster shutter speeds or get a 3 - 4 stop ND filter. If you use MS/ES then the camera will automatically switch from manual to electronic shutter when the exposure reaches the max M speed of 1/8000.

BTW, are you shooting raw + jpg because the raw files could easily be adjusted to give the required result on both images.

artuk
11 hours ago, farrell said:

It looks to me as though f/1.8 and -3 might have"topped out" mechanical shutter speed.

It looks to me as though Auto ISO would be trying to set ISO lower than 200 and can't.

What objection, if any, would you have to using a smaller aperture than f/1.8? 

Bingo!  That was my assumption - the camera has used the fastest shutter speed it can, and the lowest ISO it was configured to use, and at f1.8, it has not been possible to reduce the exposure any more.

11 hours ago, lisadosntmatter said:

Because alas what is in the EVF (and the histogram that is generated from the live view feed) doesn't always reflect the final exposure when the shutter is released.  When exposure parameters are set to "auto " (in your case, shutter speed and ISO), the camera doesn't choose the values to be used until the shutter is half pressed (or released, can't remember exactly which).  BEFORE you take the photo, the camera is simulating -3ev, but has not realised that it cannot shoot the final picture like that because it hasn't even decided what ISO and shutter speed to use.

And so.... the EVF preview doesn't reflect the final photo.  I did report this problems with the exposure preview in the EVF 4-5 years ago, but this issue appears not to have a resolution.

farrell
4 hours ago, veejaycee said:

It is very surprising that this should be over-exposed at f1.8, 1/8000 and ISO 200 especially if you dialed in -3 stops ev. Can you post a picture complete with Exif information? I just realised, you are using auto ISO. Use fixed ISO (low) because your chosen parameters in auto ISO are obviously wrong.

The filters referred to are Neutral density (ND) filters. I used them for my G/daughter's prom shoot with XT1 and 90mm f2 but the XT1 fastest shutter speed  was only 1/4000 (mechanical). ND filters reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor - often used to extend exposure time for silky flowing water shots.

For a posed image like yours you could use Electronic shutter up to 1/32000 which should solve your problem if the light is really that bright.

IMO clear OP  op.err';only real fix doing the homework.

lisadosntmatter

I shared the Exif images to show that images were taken at a extremely fast shutter speed with low ISO. I also shared the exifs of a image I had taken with a loaner which showed completely different results with the same settings and lighting conditions.

I have called Fuji customer care and they told me that at the current setting my image should have been rather dim even if I am shooting at f1.4.  With shutter speeds of 1/8000 and a -3 exp I should not seeing an image like the one I shared. (unless im literally shining a light into the lens.) They recommended that I return the camera.

I will be buying the same model because when I had the loaner I had a great experience with it and loved the fact that the preview in the EVF was most likely to show what image you were going to capture. I had no issues shooting with low exposure settings.

Will keep you guys posted on the new camera when it comes.

veejaycee

Hope the new one works better for you and yes, please let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

artuk
3 hours ago, farrell said:

IMO clear OP  op.err';only real fix doing the homework.

I believe there is a setting in the cameras that determines if the EVF shows the actual exposure or a "normalised" view, but I believe this only affects manual exposure (? perhaps someone else can confirm).

However, I think other camera systems will show a simulation of actual exposure when the shutter is half pressed - does Fuji do the same or not?

To the OP - did you look at the EVF image / rear screen when you half pressed the shutter to focus?  What did it show?

farrell
21 minutes ago, artuk said:

I believe there is a setting in the cameras that determines if the EVF shows the actual exposure or a "normalised" view, but I believe this only affects manual exposure (? perhaps someone else can confirm).

However, I think other camera systems will show a simulation of actual exposure when the shutter is half pressed - does Fuji do the same or not?

To the OP - did you look at the EVF image / rear screen when you half pressed the shutter to focus?  What did it show?

I meant the settings/expectations of the OP indicate severe lack of user preparation/study.

The considerable knowledge base of the forum does not necessarily make it a good teacher.

A lot of people are more willing to invest in hardware than learning, even to ignoring the

user manual.

• Like 1