thomasrdedekam

JPEG Kodachrome/Velvia/Acros vs. Raw - quality differences

thomasrdedekam

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I recently got the X-T2 after shooting (Raw only) with the XT-1 for a while, a camera for which i was very happy with the result i was getting. As i am now in a testing phase of the X-T2 i shot strictly  JPEGs over the weekend, using the Kodachrome, Velvia and Acros settings.  

now, by looking at the results, a lot of them are really not that sharp, and quite a few look like they are "patchy" or noisy - and this is with enough speed, low iso and almost exclusively F2..does anyone have the same experience? or does the JPEG filter process take "over" the image that much that it makes it look almost "animated" in the details

images were all shot handheld

looking forward to your thoughts and comments

Christopher

Perhaps you can share a few examples here?

I find the X Series camera's default jpeg noise reduction to be a bit too heavy handed, I suggest setting that to -1 or -2 in the Q menu and retesting. It's possible to have the camera apply 'grain' to jpgs as well, verify your settings in the menu.

• Like 1

dem
2 hours ago, thomasrdedekam said:

and almost exclusively F2..

This might be the problem. What lens are you using? For example, the 23 mm f/2 is rather soft at f/2 especially in close up shots.

Also, how do you assess sharpness? There is a bit of a drop between 16Mpx and 24Mpx image quality if you view them on the computer screen at 100% zoom (as in pixel-to-pixel).

I don't think different film simulations affect the image sharpness enough to notice any difference. Need to look elsewhere.

veejaycee
1 hour ago, Christopher said:

Perhaps you can share a few examples here?

I find the X Series camera's default jpeg noise reduction to be a bit too heavy handed, I suggest setting that to -1 or -2 in the Q menu and retesting. It's possible to have the camera apply 'grain' to jpgs as well, verify your settings in the menu.

Include the Exif too. The Film simulations themselves have no effect on sharpness.

The only way to really check sharpness is with the camera mounted on a tripod and at all apertures (to rule out lack of DoF).

Errors of camera shake, subject movement, lack of DoF etc are all magnified by higher resolution sensors. Some lenses which are fine on 16MP might be lacking on a 24MP sensor.

K1W1_Mk2

I think if the OP is comparing sharpness with RAW against jpeg he should at least confirm that he is comparing images from the same camera, preferably the same image shot as RAW+jpeg.

The way the first post is written it appears that RAW X-T1 photos are being compared to jpeg X-T2 photos which if correct is a ludicrous thing to do.