X-T2 Freaking out

throwfirewoodatfuji

Yup, the title is justified. In the middle of a shoot today, the flash (EF-X500) stopped firing, then the electronic shutter enabled itself (no, it is not enabled in the menu, at all), so I turned the camera off and on again. Problem went away, for 5 or so frames. Problem came back. This went on for ages and ruined the shoot. Eventually I noticed that sometimes the flash would only fire in portrait mode and not landscape mode. So... I swapped the flash (I have 2 EF-X500s), same thing kept happening. This was a serious disaster and my shoot was ruined. Very disappointed.

throwfirewoodatfuji

Perhaps hey? It was a kids shoot with high action. The pace of the shooting was the only unusual factor. Once I’d calmed myself down (hehe) the problem went away. Perhaps for those 3 minutes something cooled down enough?

Yeah, the only time I've ever had trouble with my X-T2's it was in full sun and I was rapid focusing/tracking and shooting in bursts during a long event. It started skipping frames and recorded a few blacked out images. Thankfully the moment was still captured and no real loss, but it was alarming. The camera behaved as expected after resting for a 60 seconds or so. I think in the end it will be a rare occurrence, so far it's only been once over tens of thousands of frames. The X-T2 definitely seems to warm up a lot more than the X-T1, but it's a performance beast.

• Thanks 1

Do you have genuine Fuji batteries and what brand of SD cards are you using? 

Non genuine batteries are known to cause X-T2 cameras to do weird things and some cards Lexar in particular also cause strange behavior.

1 hour ago, throwfirewoodatfuji said:

Only genuine batteries and Verbatim high speed cards. New ones too. I'm that guy. Original and the best where possible.

FWIW I believe Verbatim are rebranded cards from another manufacturer.  Some of their cards have relatively modest write speeds (10-20Mb/s as compared to 45-90Mb/s or more from rivals).  It may be something to consider if doing sustained continuous shooting, depending on the cameras buffer write speed.  It's not uncommon that some cameras cannot make full use of very high write speed cards because the performance is limited by their internal write speeds.

The problem with some newer sensors, which allow faster read out speeds for better EVF refresh rates, higher frame rates, 4K video, electronic shutter etc, they tend to generate more heat.  I suspect it is also a consequence of the LSI (large scale integration) used in Sony sensors, which puts the A-to-D conversion and other signal processing circuitry very close to the actual sensels, all of which generates heat due to the high volume of data flowing and the electrical resistance of the tiny circuitry.

Hope you get you camera problems resolved.

throwfirewoodatfuji

Sorry! It was late last night and I was in the movies with my wife. :) I have SanDisk Extreme Pro cards. This was not under burst firing. So yeah, I am also hoping it was just overheating... but it was a cold day here and the camera wasn't hot at all. Guess we won't know until it happens again.

11 hours ago, throwfirewoodatfuji said:

Sorry! It was late last night and I was in the movies with my wife. :) I have SanDisk Extreme Pro cards. This was not under burst firing. So yeah, I am also hoping it was just overheating... but it was a cold day here and the camera wasn't hot at all. Guess we won't know until it happens again.

If it was a cold day, and you were not performing sustained burst shooting, and had a adequate speed card, then I strongly suggest that the camera was not (or should not have been) overheating.

If you use the camera professionally, then having a camera that could at any time cease to function based on previous experience doesn't sound like a very good situation.

I would suggest you send it in for service.