Setting ISO to auto on XT20

I have been watching videos on how to use the Fuji XT20.  On one video it was suggested that the ISO should be set at 3200 and then let the camera choose the best ISO for each shot.  I never used this method with Nikon and not really sure if I think I want to use it with Fuji.  Thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Annewin

If I'm shooting under controlled circumstances or with time to adjust then I aim for ISO 200. Landscapes, portraits and anything where I'm not shooting fast. For everything else (most things) or when i don't what my next shot will be, inc street, I use auto ISO with base 200 and 3200/6400  top end. My lowest shutter speed is set according to the circumstance or based on focal length (@ X1.5).

The camera will always use the lowest ISO possible and only raises it should the exposure hit the floor set. So basically it does what you would be forced to do manually anyway. Their are exceptions, maybe when you might decide to shoot slower shutter and take up a more solid shooting stance or brace/use tripod but you would need to be alive to the situation to do that. Don't be afraid to push the ISO of X cams anyway. A caveat - if you are forced to the upper end of ISO then don't under-expose.

Auto DR can cause exposure problems when also using auto ISO.

Also keep in kind that the camera will override the slowest shutter speed setting if it has to but not the maximum iso

If for example, you have maximum ISO set to 3200 and slowest shutter speed at 1/60 and the scene is just too dark to get a proper exposure at those values then the camera will use a shutter speed slower than 1/60. This is not a fault as many have tried to claim over the years and is perfectly logical when you think about it. Just be aware.

2 hours ago, Annewin said:

I have been watching videos on how to use the Fuji XT20.  On one video it was suggested that the ISO should be set at 3200 and then let the camera choose the best ISO for each shot.  I never used this method with Nikon and not really sure if I think I want to use it with Fuji.  Thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Annewin

I personally am generally very reluctant to cede that level of control to a mere camera,

but if the shooter wants a set aperture and shutter speed,  conditions might demand

floating the ISO.