EOBeav

Main differences between X-Pro2 and X-T2

EOBeav

So as I'm doing my homework to see which mirrorless system works best for me, I'm looking at both the X-Pro2 and the X-T2.  A few notes:

• Both use the same sensor and processing engine
  • The X-T2 has a really cool retro graphite silver edition (nice, but not a necessity)
  • They have different viewfinders (and I'm unsure of those differences)
  • Different AF systems, although both seem far more advanced than my DSLR system

Everything else looks pretty comparable, from what I can tell. Any other differences that I'm seeing seem either trivial/cosmetic or not as important for the kind of work I do. I don't do much video. Although I'm very comfortable shooting and processing RAW files, I find that the older I get the more I want to get it right in camera as much as possible and not spend a lot of time tweaking on the computer. I'm really impressed with some of the SOOC shots I'm seeing, as well as the film emulation modes that are included. I do shoot a lot of film as well, so this setup seems like it would be a nice digital counterpart to that. 

All that said, what do I need to consider when making a decision between the two bodies? I'm mostly a hobbyist but do have some paid portrait gigs on occasion-seniors, kids, families, etc... Landscapes when I can. Weddings when I can't avoid them. Street/events when those opportunities present themselves. Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can give me regarding making a decision between these two cameras. 

K1W1_Mk2

The X-Pro and X-T series share many basic components but really they are completely different cameras in the way that they are used. Given the same settings and lens the output from the two cameras will be identical so there is no major technical difference one way or the other and it comes down to what shape you prefer and how you shoot.

If you are looking for a general one body does all then the X-T is probably the most accommodating.  The DSLR like shape with the large and very fast refresh rate EVF will be better for chasing the kids for following action. The two way tilt screen is a plus for tripod use for anything from studio to landscape situations. The X-T will also do pretty good 4k video if you want. Battery grips are available to extend shooting time and to allow easier portrait mode use.

The X-Pro on the other hand offers the OVF/EVF with the addition of the hybrid mode and has a more rangefinder type feel which tends to encourage a more deliberate and slower style of shooting. The OVF of course being very useful on the street when shooting using zone focus in particular as you have the ability to see what is happening outside the frame.

I prefer the location of the focus point joystick on the X-Pro over the X-T location. IMO Fuji goofed on the X-T. The joystick would be better situated where the Q button is.

FWIW there is also a Graphite Edition of the X-Pro body available. For the X-Pro the graphite is very dark grey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EOBeav

Thanks so much, that is a very helpful reply. Regarding the differences in view finders, I see the XT-2 has an eyepiece. Does that just replicate what's already on the EVF?  Is there a way to use the eyepiece while turning off the EVF screen on the back of the camera? I actually prefer looking through an eyepiece rather than just seeing what's on the screen.  There are exceptions to that, of course. However, I'm very familiar with a rangefinder setup and could just just as easily with the X-Pro2. 

I didn't realize the X-Pro2 came in a graphite edition. I'm not normally one to care how my camera looks, but...this looks cool. 

raagamuffin

I would consider a couple of other things as well. I had considered the Pro2 as well, and here is what swayed me. 

The T2 is the more up-to-date model in a number of ways. For example, if you decide to add the battery grip, you can get longer shooting times and better performance. The T2 also has two high speed card slots (I think the Pro only has one). The T2 has 4K video, and so it can support better heat dissipation (so it follows that, in case they decide to add more features that tax the battery, the T2 may be able to better handle the load).  There is a tilt rear LCD which may come in handy for certain compositions shot from the ground, overhead, etc. 

The OVF in the Pro2 becomes somewhat useless at longer focal lengths, so any premium charged for the hybrid viewfinder is negated very quickly unless one shoots at those shorter FLs. As for the coolness factor, the rangefinder form factor is hard to beat (having owned an X-E1, I can attest to this).

For me the final point in favor of the T2 was that having been spoiled by Fuji firmware updates,  it came down to the longevity of the body as relates to firmware updates, and I think that the T2 will have a longer life than the Pro2. 

Having said all this, personally I would still consider getting a Pro2 as a backup for shooting with my primes once prices drop further in the used market. 

HTH.

• Thanks 1

K1W1_Mk2
16 hours ago, EOBeav said:

Thanks so much, that is a very helpful reply. Regarding the differences in view finders, I see the XT-2 has an eyepiece. Does that just replicate what's already on the EVF?  

The eyepiece is the EVF (Electronic View Finder). The screen on the back of the camera is the LCD.

The EVF is a high resolution version of the screen on the back. There are various options you can use the EVF only or the LCD only or have the eye sensor switch from the LCF to the EVF as you put your eye to the viewfinder window. Modern EVFs are pretty good to excellent and the X-T2 one is one of the best available. Don't not buy the camera until you give the EVF a serious work out if you can.

The EVF on the X-Pro has the same number of pixels as the X-T one but does have less magnification and also does not cover 100% of the view or have the same refresh rate.

1 hour ago, MarcoDebiasi said:

wait few more days until the rumored announcement (7 September) of the X-E3 which could have better performance than both the X-Pro2 and X-T2 

I would be sceptical about the "better performance" claims. Fuji would be shooting themselves in the foot of they offer a mid price range camera with better performance than their two top of the line models. More likely any X-E3 will be a rangefinder style X-T20 in performance.

• Thanks 1

veejaycee
2 hours ago, K1W1_Mk2 said:

I would be sceptical about the "better performance" claims. Fuji would be shooting themselves in the foot of they offer a mid price range camera with better performance than their two top of the line models. More likely any X-E3 will be a rangefinder style X-T20 in performance.

..... and since this is still a rumour and it hasn't even been announced yet, it will be a while before it's released and longer still before people can actually get their hands on one - the XT20 is only now becoming generally available, more than a year since release.

• Thanks 1

K1W1_Mk2

XT-20 has been readily available in Australia for months. Same with the X-T2. I suspect the issues in the northern hemisphere are either poor supply chain management or a massive and unexpected demand increase probably more the former.

• Thanks 1

EOBeav

Thanks everybody for the very helpful replies. I guess I needed to get up to speed on the differences between EVF and LCD display. I'm still looking through an eyepiece at a mirror right now. One cool thing I've heard about Fuji is that they're generous about sending out software updates that improve the functionality of the camera. I hear that 4K video is coming to the X-Pro2 via this pipeline. As soon as I finish up some seniors this fall and can get some equipment sold, I'm plunking down the plastic for one of these cameras. Likely an X-T2 at this point. 

veejaycee
3 hours ago, K1W1_Mk2 said:

XT-20 has been readily available in Australia for months. Same with the X-T2. I suspect the issues in the northern hemisphere are either poor supply chain management or a massive and unexpected demand increase probably more the former.

Be that as it may and for whatever reasons, the fact is that most of the western world has only recently been able to buy an XT20 and before that the XT2.

• Thanks 1

K1W1_Mk2

I've not seen any previous reference to XT-20 supply problems in then USA I wasn't aware there was an issue. I know there there was a big shortage of X-T2 to start with.

16 hours ago, EOBeav said:

I hear that 4K video is coming to the X-Pro2 via this pipeline. 

May or may no be but seeing as the X-T2 needs an additional battery grip to be able to fully utilise 4k filming (and uses the same battery as the X-Pro2) and no battery grip is available for the X-Pro2 any 4k filming in the X-Pro2 is likely to be severely limited.

• Thanks 1

johnwillyums

I have a X-Pro 2, prior to that I had an X-T1, so I'm familiar with the ergonomics on both body styles and I prefer the Rangefinder style.

I'm right eye dominant, so whether using the EVF, or the OVF, I can keep both eyes open. If using the OVF I can see people coming into the frame. 

The EVF on the X-T series is undoubtedly better in every way (especially with the big eyecup fitted), it's bigger, and easier to use. The positioning , under the faux pentaprism irritates me a bit, and the inevitable greasy nose splotch also put me off.

Basically, the X-T2 is faster, in every way, than the X-Pro 2. It looks like a fake DSLR. The X-Pro 2 looks like a fake rangefinder.
I suppose they are a bit like that in use, as well, but the X-Pro 2 is much less fake, in terms of why things are where  they are, it is is more form follows function.

I had used an old old Zorki rangefinder, back in the day, but only very briefly. Certainly, I was much more familiar with the (D)SLR shape. Nonetheless, I had an X-E1, and I had enjoyed using that, so I went and looked at the X-Pro 2, and as soon as I had handled it, I was sold

Both of these cameras will give you excellent image quality, with the X-T2 being a bit quicker to use. So, the handling is the most important factor. Make sure you get a fair time with both.

• Thanks 1

EOBeav

Once again, this is all very helpful information, so thanks to everybody who provided feedback.

I've always been one to value my final images much more than what my camera actually looks like. For some reason, though, lately I've wanted to stand out from the crowd just a bit. All of those black dslr's just seem to look the same anymore. I can see one of these fitting in with my shooting style a lot more now, plus giving me the quality I need.