Shaun Birley

XT-2 Strange Shutter Noise

Shaun Birley

Hey Guys,

I have the new XT-2 and now the shutter noise has changed. Its was making a clear precise sound and now its changed dramatically. It doesnt resemble a natural camera sound. I have jumped into the settings to have a look at the sound options and they all sounds different. I took my lenses off and transferred it to an XT-10 and it also changed the sound. Do the lenses affect it or is there something wrong with the Camera?

MarcoDebiasi

Shaun, welcome to this forum.

It seems very odd that a lens (by the way, which lens?) changes dramatically the shutter sound of the cameras to which it is attached.

You can try to do the reverse: i.e. to install a different lens on both cameras and hear if their shutter sound returns to "normal". If so, then try again with the "suspect" lens and hear if the shutter sound goes back to "strange". If indeed it turns out that the lens is responsible of this, then there may be something strange with the lens rather than the camera.

By the way, on the topic of shutters changing sound, if really a shutter does so it may be a sign of its malfunction. When I was still using film cameras my Minolta X-500 at some point started to make a metallic sound when firing the shutter. Sure enough, few days later the shutter had a sudden jam and the camera needed to be sent for repair.

Shaun Birley

Thanks for writing back mate!

I have 2 lenses 56mm f1.2 and the 23mm f1.4 and it is doing it with both of them.

I'll have a crack at using some different lenses from my mates and also put there lenses on mine to see what happens... its a really dull click sound. 

Thanks for the suggestions

MarcoDebiasi

If both lenses create the same sound, then I think it comes from the camera. However, in your original post you also wrote that both cameras (X-T2 and X-T10) make the odd sound.

To sort things out, at this point I think you should really do a comparative test with some other cameras of the same type, either asking someone that has the same, or going to a shop with your equipment and compare it with new ones.

farrell
On 8/28/2017 at 10:20 PM, Shaun Birley said:

Hey Guys,

I have the new XT-2 and now the shutter noise has changed. Its was making a clear precise sound and now its changed dramatically. It doesnt resemble a natural camera sound. I have jumped into the settings to have a look at the sound options and they all sounds different. I took my lenses off and transferred it to an XT-10 and it also changed the sound. Do the lenses affect it or is there something wrong with the Camera?

Do you have unexpected or apparently erroneous exposure results?

Hudshark

Did you ever figure this out?  Did you switch it to electronic shutter from mechanical shutter by any chance?  I did this and it drove me nuts until I figured out the shutter sound change.  This obviously wouldn't explain it happening on two cameras though.  

veejaycee
8 hours ago, Hudshark said:

Did you ever figure this out?  Did you switch it to electronic shutter from mechanical shutter by any chance?  I did this and it drove me nuts until I figured out the shutter sound change.  This obviously wouldn't explain it happening on two cameras though.  

Hi Hudshark, Electronic shutter is silent unless you have added sounds in the setup menu. Most users prefer silent to avoid attracting attention. So you have a choice of different sounds or no sound at all.

Hudshark

Hi Veejaycee, Thanks. I suppose its possible I changed the shutter sound, but I do not think so? It makes the same noise if I switch it back to ES but I cannot change the noise on that setting.  It makes a very small noise that sounds odd in ES.  Nevertheless, I thought the original poster might have had the same experience as I did so I thought I would post to see.