Annewin

question concerning IS settings

Annewin

My question is about correct  settings for Image Stabilization.  I have one lens with IS on the Lens and another with no IS on the lens.  Directions says to set IS for this lens in camera.  Ok, I understand that but which setting, continuous, or shooting only?   Original the camera setting was on continuous and did not result in focused images.  I changed to Shooting only and the results was better. All of this could be user error, I just don't know.  Also, with the Lens that has IS on it, do I set the camera to IS off? 

Second question:  I just received the XC 50-230MM F4.5-6.7 OIS 11.  This is the lens with no IS and I think  I  will return it and replace with XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.9 R LM OIS lens.  I would like to have opinions on the XF55-200 before making another error in ordering.    I am still struggling with the Fuji system and still love the Nikon DSL.  The transition to the mirrorless system is challenging for me.  I very much do appreciate the weight of the mirrorless cameras.

Thanks for your thoughts and advise.

dem
2 hours ago, Annewin said:

XC 50-230MM F4.5-6.7 OIS 11

OIS in the name stands for "Optical Image Stabilisation". Both the XC 50-230 and the XF 55-200 have OIS.

If you want to use OIS, you always have to enable it from the camera.

From the X-T1 manual:

Untitled.png

Annewin

I do know how to switch the OIS on the lens.  The XC 50-230 does not have this switch on the lens.  The lens manual says OIS is available using the IS MODE option in the camera shooting menu.  What is the difference of whether the lens has ISO switch or not, if you choose ISO from the camera menu.  Are you saying that even if you have OIS on the lens, one still needs to turn it on in the camera also?  Just trying to understand.

Thanks

farrell

Fuji says the XC 50-230 does have OIS. 

I see no switch in Fuji literature.

Setting CONTINUOUS or SHOOTING ONLY

in menu may still be required.

i do not own this lens.

Someone who does might be more helpful.

veejaycee
5 hours ago, Annewin said:

I do not how to switch the OIS on the lens.  The XC 50-230 does not have this switch on the lens.  The lens manual says OIS is available using the IS MODE option in the camera shooting menu.  What is the difference of whether the lens has ISO switch or not, if you choose ISO from the camera menu.  Are you saying that even if you have OIS on the lens, one still needs to turn it on in the camera also?  Just trying to understand.

Thanks

Hi Anne - the XC lenses - 16-50mm OIS and 50-230mm OIS need the OIS to be switched on in the menus. Shooting menu  page 1 of 2, second item from bottom - IS mode.

dem
23 hours ago, Annewin said:

I do know how to switch the OIS on the lens.  The XC 50-230 does not have this switch on the lens.

Again, you have to choose in the camera menu which IS mode you want to use.

If the lens has no OIS switch, the OIS will always behave the way you set it up in the camera menu.

If the lens has got an OIS switch, the OIS will either behave the way you set it up in the camera (the switch is ON) or be disabled (the switch is OFF).

23 hours ago, Annewin said:

Are you saying that even if you have OIS on the lens, one still needs to turn it on in the camera also? 

Yes. Try turning IS off in the camera menu. Now flicking the switch on the lens ON or OFF is not going to change anything - the IS is always off.