veejaycee

XT2 freezing issue - this may help

This may apply to other bodies too. The following is a response on another forum where suggestions to fix a freezing XT2 were made to - try different batteries, reset the camera, remove battery grip and swap SD cards. On several forums I've read of problems with Lexar cards and this seems to increase the likelihood of them being the cause of problems and since Lexar are moving out of the memory card business maybe it's a good time to mention this. Not all Lexar will cause problems but enough to be worthwhile warning about. IMO and although several others makes are used successfully, Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MBs Class 10 or UHS II (for video) are the best cards for Fuji and known to have a fast enough write speed. Some high capacity cards are known to be slower than (say) 64gb cards. Apparently the camera does a high speed read of the card prior to writing so - more space there is to read, the longer it takes. Worth thinking about anyway.

"ok so while i was picking up equipment this weekend I bought a pair of 64g extreme pro cards from sandisk. Turns out you were right, most of my problems with the x-t2 are gone, which completely baffles me. I don't understand how a memory card can affect a camera so much, in speed responsiveness and glitches.

I hate to say it, but for a year it seems I haven't been using the x-t2 to it's full potential because of these ?%$?%$?%$ lexar cards. Even the iphone app is faster !

I'll still test a bit more but so far... things are fixed."

alleluia

I'm using Lexar SDXC II Professional card in my Fujifilm X100F camera (128 GB; 300 MB / s). It has been in Finnish sauna, -30 degrees Celcius cold weather and at the bottom of the Kymmene river (on a fishing trip) and the card still works perfectly. However, the Sandisk Extreme Pro card has failed many times.
Technical errors can be find on all brands. But the fact does not mean that all the cards from Lexar or Sandisk are bad. Cards from Sony have also worked very well for me.

Ive recently been caught out with Memory cards. I blamed the quipment I was using it on and contacted the manufacturer. They had experienced this before and soon identified that the card was the issue

There are a lot of Fake or Counterfiet cards about. The unit I had looked 100%  Sandisk right up to the retail packaging. Wasnt till I tried loading it with data that problems sufaced.

I foolishly bought it on Ebay trying to save money.

Im rapidly going off buying items like this on line.

Make sure you buy from a reliable source where you can return it if problems surface.

I'm in Canada but have always purchased my camera body batteries and memory cards (Sandisk) from B&H Photo.  Genuine products, priced well and ships fast.  Never had any issues.

1 hour ago, Ianmac said:

Ive recently been caught out with Memory cards. I blamed the quipment I was using it on and contacted the manufacturer. They had experienced this before and soon identified that the card was the issue

There are a lot of Fake or Counterfiet cards about. The unit I had looked 100%  Sandisk right up to the retail packaging. Wasnt till I tried loading it with data that problems sufaced.

Make sure you buy from a reliable source where you can return it if problems surface.

50 minutes ago, AdamW said:

I'm in Canada but have always purchased my camera body batteries and memory cards (Sandisk) from B&H Photo.  Genuine products, priced well and ships fast.  Never had any issues.

Good advice guys - always buy from a respected source.

57 minutes ago, Ianmac said:

I would say NEVER buy memory cards from eBay, unless it's from a known trusted sellar.  Even Amazon can be a lottery if not purchasing from Amazon themselves.

There are several reputable vendors of well priced memory cards (My Memory, 7DayShop, Moby Memory to name a few), and I don't think it's worth the risk of getting an unreliable or poor performing fake.

Regarding VJCs first comment, I don't know if such problems are with the cards or the cameras SD reader / driver.  I've come across similar issues with other brand camera and card combinations, where cards worked perfectly in other devices, so if the card is genuine and from a major brand such as Lexar (which I've never had problems with in my devices), I wouldn't blame the card per se but say it's a "compatibility issue".

I generally avoid the less well known cheaper brands of cards as I have found them to be a little unreliable, possibly as a result of counterfeiting (PNY, HP, Transcend, Verbatim, Integral et al) - sticking to major brands like Sandisk, Samsung, Lexar, Sony, Toshiba etc is probably a good idea, particular in a camera where high performance is required.

In the US I can also recommend Newegg, an excellent vendor.

In my pre-retirement life I bought employment-related items from CDW, a large supplier

with an excellent reputation.

Interesting. I have never had a freezing issue until last week when I updated the firmware ( 3.0) and put a reformatted Lexar back in the camera ( I had downloaded the update onto it). Now both my 50-140 and my 90 have frozen twice. Bloody Lexar. I had a gut feeling they were crap 

19 hours ago, Buck777 said:

Interesting. I have never had a freezing issue until last week when I updated the firmware ( 3.0) and put a reformatted Lexar back in the camera ( I had downloaded the update onto it). Now both my 50-140 and my 90 have frozen twice. Bloody Lexar. I had a gut feeling they were crap 

There's nothing wrong with Lexar cards - I use them in other brand cameras without problem.  The issue is using Lexar cards in Fuji cameras.  Some Kingston CF cards gave issues and poor write times in Sony cameras, but worked fine in other brands.  The problem is undoubtedly an issue with the cameras or cards implementation of the card standards at driver level, and it's impossible to say who's at fault - although if cards word correctly in other devices it tends to suggest the driver in the camera may not be quite right.