enuenu

XT2 - Frame No. Full error

enuenu

I was taking a few bursts of birds when my XT2 stopped with the error "Frame No. Full". I assumed I'd filled the memory card so deleted a number of images, however this had no effect. When I looked the error up in the manual it stated;

"The camera has run out of frame numbers......."

I thought that strange, as I've only taken a few memory cards worth of shots since the camera was new. Maybe in the order of a few thousand images.

The manual stated the solution was to;

"Format the memory card & select RENEW for SAVE DATA SETTINGS>FRAME NO.. Take a picture to reset frame numbering to 100-0001, then select CONTINUOUS for FRAME NO."

Format the memory card??? If I do this I lose everything on it. Am I reading this correctly? I deleted another 50 images from the camera and was still stuck out in the field with a memory card that had space on it, but the camera wouldn't take an image.

Even my ancient Mju compact never had this issue after years of use. Why has this advanced camera struck this problem so early in its life?

Most importantly, how do I now use the remaining memory on this card without formatting it?

Very confused.

artuk
On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:40 AM, enuenu said:

I was taking a few bursts of birds when my XT2 stopped with the error "Frame No. Full". I assumed I'd filled the memory card so deleted a number of images, however this had no effect. When I looked the error up in the manual it stated;

"The camera has run out of frame numbers......."

I thought that strange, as I've only taken a few memory cards worth of shots since the camera was new. Maybe in the order of a few thousand images.

The manual stated the solution was to;

"Format the memory card & select RENEW for SAVE DATA SETTINGS>FRAME NO.. Take a picture to reset frame numbering to 100-0001, then select CONTINUOUS for FRAME NO."

Format the memory card??? If I do this I lose everything on it. Am I reading this correctly? I deleted another 50 images from the camera and was still stuck out in the field with a memory card that had space on it, but the camera wouldn't take an image.

Even my ancient Mju compact never had this issue after years of use. Why has this advanced camera struck this problem so early in its life?

Most importantly, how do I now use the remaining memory on this card without formatting it?

Very confused.

I cannot imagine why the developers at Fuji implemented the process to reset the file numbers that way, nor what benefit they thought it brought to the user.  That you have to reset it as part of the card format process seems truly bizarre.  Are you sure that there is no configuration option to turn this feature on or off, or no other way around this?  I know historically Fuji implemented continuous shooting in a very odd way, where a single file appeared in the cameras filing system, which when opened allow you to then scroll through each image in the sequence, which caused confusion and sometimes caused issues with PC software.  I hope for your sake it turns out that it is some peculiarity that can be disabled, otherwise it presents a serious issue for anyone who wants to use continuous shooting for sustained periods (or perhaps over long periods of time)

veejaycee

I haven't heard of anyone having this problem yet many must have taken more than 9999 pictures and had to renumber.

You say you've taken only a few cards-worth of pictures - what capacity are the cards and were the files Raw or small jpg - there's a lot of difference but even so I'm sure you would know how many files had passed through them.

Have you tried doing this part without formatting. " "Format the memory card & select RENEW for SAVE DATA SETTINGS>FRAME NO.. Take a picture to reset frame numbering to 100-0001, then select CONTINUOUS for FRAME NO."

Your other option is buy a new card and put the other one away until you can download it. You should always carry a spare.

If you access to any computer you could buy a USB stick which is cheaper and transfer the pictures to it until you get home.

Shooting Raw I use (currently) 4x 16GB cards soon to be updated to 3x 32GB cards with my XT2/XT20 and the 16GBs as spares however, even using 16GBs  I've never yet come close to filling a card without realising it and swapping to a fresh one.

FujishotlikeFilm

This happened to me at a wedding last weekend.  Literally, unacceptable.  I missed the father of the bride speech as I knew I had to fix the problem immediately as the first dance was next.  Couldn't believe.  Actually, I thought the card died until I got home and realized the last frame was 9999. CMON!

paulbroad

Never 'do' weddings with only one camera body. Two minimum.

Other than that, have had six different Fuji bodies, own 4 currently and all have exceeded 9999 exposures - no warnings of any kind? I keep the firmware up to date.