Ralph

XT2 Studio Flash Photography

Ralph

Dear friends, I´m just starting in studio flash photography and I don't get to do this right:

Everything went very well with Single focusing, which is of course very slow when you need to shoot someone moving in front of you.

But when I wanted to shoot -say- 2-3 shots, I just fell I couldn't. I know how great the XT2 is, so I admit my ignorance. Is there anybody out there that can share a special setup for these situations?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks and cheers from Chile!

Ralph

artuk

I'm not really sure I understand the questions.

With single shot, is the focusing slow because you are using flash/strobe studio lights, and therefore the ambient light in the studio is low - affecting focus speed?

When you want to take multiple shots, do you mean with continuous drive (shooting) mode?

If you want to shoot in continuous drive mode, then the flash may not be able to recycle (re-charge) quickly enough.

If you are using flash guns, they may take up to several seconds to recharge and be able to fire again.  If you are using studio flash, they should be able to recycle very quickly, but possibly not quickly enough for continuous shooting, as the camera can take many frames per second.  If you use continuous lighting, it should be no problem.

Another is how you are triggering your flash?  Cable?  Wireless trigger?  On camera flash?  That could also be an issue.

Without more details about your studio set up and equipment and the specific problem you are experiencing, its impossible to give more accurate advice.

Ralph

I really appreciate your answer... and yes! I need to be more informed on certain things. I´m an analog guy in transition. I'll keep an eye on your questions and let you know. Thanks again!

artuk
On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, Ralph said:

I really appreciate your answer... and yes! I need to be more informed on certain things. I´m an analog guy in transition. I'll keep an eye on your questions and let you know. Thanks again!

Whether using film or digital, the issues of studio flash are the same, and aren't really affected by the medium.

For portable flash, Godox make some flash guns with a lithium-ion battery pack, which dramatically reduces recycle times, although apparently after about 20 shots the recycle time slows to reduce thermal load.  Other brands may allow external battery packs which can reduce recycle times

I regularly use a pair of portable (Nissin) flash guns in the field for male physique portraits, combined with some simple light modifiers (umbrella, gates, honeycomb etc.) and have to accept the relatively slow recycle times (maybe 1-3 seconds) - sample attached.  For me, it isn't a huge issue, as my work doesn't really require "spontaneity" - in fact, normally I have to "count down" so the subjects can tense their physique for the pose.

For fast shooting and reactive work in the studio, if you want fast recycle times, the only way to get it is either studio flash lights, either mains powered or with very large powerful battery packs, or continuous lighting.

DSC02486_1_PPB v2 BW sml logo.jpg