Bull Rhino

Film Simulation modes in RAW

Bull Rhino

If I'm shooting in RAW and set the camera to one of the Film Simulation modes such as Monochrome or Sepia, will I still have the original RAW image with all the colors etc.?  It seems like it only makes sense that RAW is RAW and I would still have the image as it hit the sensor. 

Assuming that I do have the RAW file, if I'm using a program such as Adobe Lightroom or ACR, when I download the photo into my computer will the preview show as the film simulation mode or RAW and in either case how do I get the photo to the other state?

artuk

The data in the raw file is unaffected by the film simulation set in the camera. It contains a reference to the setting used, which some PC software may use when previewing the file, which will contain un-processed full colour data.

• Like 1

veejaycee
22 hours ago, Bull Rhino said:

If I'm shooting in RAW and set the camera to one of the Film Simulation modes such as Monochrome or Sepia, will I still have the original RAW image with all the colors etc.?  It seems like it only makes sense that RAW is RAW and I would still have the image as it hit the sensor. 

Assuming that I do have the RAW file, if I'm using a program such as Adobe Lightroom or ACR, when I download the photo into my computer will the preview show as the film simulation mode or RAW and in either case how do I get the photo to the other state?

LR and ACR have the film simulations. In LR scroll down to camera profiles. In ACR click the camera Icon at the top right. In both cases these are Adobe's versions of Fuji's sims. Very close but not 100% the same. They are fine as a starting point which is all you really need as you make your own adjustments to the raw.

You can shoot raw + fine with film sims in which case you'll be able to see the simulation in the viewfinder. It can be helpful when focusing manually to use a BW film sim with coloured focusing peaking.

• Thanks 1