Bob_Boyer

For Our Pacific Northwest & British Aisles Bretheren

Bob_Boyer

So just what the heck DO you do (for photography, that is) in the winter when it's constantly gray and gloomy as all hell and there's not much foliage on plants and you don't have the coin to go either someplace much warmer or much colder where - in either instance - there's some sunlight? I just bought a mint, new-to-me XT-1 to go with my XE-1, a 14, and an 18-55. While I'm waiting to snag a good used 55-200 to complete the kit for an Alaskan cruise this summer, I'd like to get somewhat familiar with the XT-1 but the weather here in the southeast corner of Tennessee has just sucked for the last month or so and I have no motivation at all. Back in the day when I did this for a living, fear kept me going, calling on clients or prospects and shooting portfolio stuff in the studio and praying the phone would ring but now, I can't get jazzed about playing the scales, as it were.

So how do you do it? Or do you? Inquiring minds and all that...

robthebruce

You could start taking pictures of your dog or cat.

Alternatively, you could grab an umbrella, one camera with one lens and head out for one hour to walk one mile (or 3-4 kms) and see what you can see. Do this several times a week, covering pretty much the same route but at different times of the day for variation.

Its noticing the little things in the area that you live in. You live in a part of the world I'll probably never get to visit, let along live in. What's unique about living where you do? Drop in and befriend a few of the local shop keepers and after several weeks, ask to take their pictures for the local paper . . . 

The guy below provided the inspiration for me. Worth a look. Regards, Rob

Bob_Boyer

That's a great suggestion, Rob. Many thanks. It's spot on on at least to levels: cranking up the creativity and getting in some much needed walking. Without going into too many gory details, I survived a ruptured aortic aneurysm last October and I'm using 2018 to try to change my attitude and habits a bit. I've started walking around campus now that I'm back at work full-time, but carrying the camera will stretch another part of me. I'll be curious to see what I can capture.