John Warren

AF speed and accuracy of the new X-H1

I have a question about the AF speed and accuracy of the new X-H1;

Is this a hardware thing or is it a software thing or a combination of both?

If it is a software / firmware thing, will this be available to the who own for example, the X-T2?

Thanks,

John

I suspect it is a combination of hardware and software but its best to wait to see what the speed is like in the real world before getting too excited. One common thread through all Fuji releases since the X-E1 on is that they get their paid mouthpieces to rave about how improved the AF is - every time. Unfortunately these improvements are often nowhere near as significant as the paid mouthpieces claim. Yes AF has improved considerably since day one but imo Fuji AF is still lagging behind other brands particularly in continuous AF performance.

On 2/27/2018 at 11:44 AM, K1W1_Mk2 said:

I suspect it is a combination of hardware and software but its best to wait to see what the speed is like in the real world before getting too excited. One common thread through all Fuji releases since the X-E1 on is that they get their paid mouthpieces to rave about how improved the AF is - every time. Unfortunately these improvements are often nowhere near as significant as the paid mouthpieces claim. Yes AF has improved considerably since day one but imo Fuji AF is still lagging behind other brands particularly in continuous AF performance.

In wonder why that is? I have XE-1 and XE-2, and the AF lag is significant. It doesn't really matter as I don't normally need a fast trigger, but it can occasionally irk when I spot a fast moving bird or one of our dogs! One would have thought Fuji could do better, I had no problem with my S2Pro. 

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, GeoffC said:

In wonder why that is? I have XE-1 and XE-2, and the AF lag is significant. It doesn't really matter as I don't normally need a fast trigger, but it can occasionally irk when I spot a fast moving bird or one of our dogs! One would have thought Fuji could do better, I had no problem with my S2Pro. 

If I am not mistaken, the S2Pro was a Nikon made camera with a Fuji sensor inside, so the Af module may have come from Nikon.

SLRs *generally* still perform slightly better than mirrorless cameras under demanding situations, although i think some of the best focusing mirrorless cameras may be as good.  

I agree with KIWI that historically Fuji's AF has lagged behind the competition, and although it has improved, so has the competition too.  When I used Fuji cameras, the AF performance was also greatly influenced by the lens used, some being good and some being rather sluggish.

• Like 1

As @artuk says the S2Pro was a DSLR made by Nikon (effectively it was a Nikon D100 with a Fuji sensor). You cannot compare any DSLR with any mirrorless camera and expect sensible results as the focussing systems are completely different.

• Like 1