My questions/ problems are two fold.  First,  I have downloaded RAF files with PS6.  When I try to open one of the RAF images, I get the message that the image can not be found.  The entire download in visible in the catalog.  The image appears in the develop area  but I get  the message that it is not available and it is stuck in the develop view.  I can not delete of get rid of it.  Also, another view appears at some point that is labeled "People View".  I cannot get out of it.  So, as I try to navigate around torid of or delete the photo, the "People View" comes up.    PS6 is just stuck.  Abobe does not support anything, evidently, except CC any more.    I am not sure if any of this makes sense.  Also, according to "YOU TUBE", I should be able to click on the Window, which brings up options which should contain an option " Reset  Desktop".  It is not there on my laptop or my desktop.    Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.  A friend told me that Adobe does this so everyone will have to download CC.  She had a problem and her  whole system locked up.  Ready to ditch PS6 but will not use CC.

3 hours ago, Annewin said:

My questions/ problems are two fold.  First,  I have downloaded RAF files with PS6.  When I try to open one of the RAF images, I get the message that the image can not be found.  The entire download in visible in the catalog.  The image appears in the develop area  but I get  the message that it is not available and it is stuck in the develop view.  I can not delete of get rid of it.  Also, another view appears at some point that is labeled "People View".  I cannot get out of it.  So, as I try to navigate around torid of or delete the photo, the "People View" comes up.    PS6 is just stuck.  Abobe does not support anything, evidently, except CC any more.    I am not sure if any of this makes sense.  Also, according to "YOU TUBE", I should be able to click on the Window, which brings up options which should contain an option " Reset  Desktop".  It is not there on my laptop or my desktop.    Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.  A friend told me that Adobe does this so everyone will have to download CC.  She had a problem and her  whole system locked up.  Ready to ditch PS6 but will not use CC.

Hi Ann. This is what you're missing I suspect. https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#9_1_1

The latest camera raw for CS6. If that does not work: You can also get the free Adobe DNG convertor https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=6321 which you use in exactly the same way in either ACR or LR - absolutely same working and same results.

A better alternative which many of us have found gives better results after sharpening is to buy (cheap) Iridient X Transformer to use as a plugin or as I do, as a standalone. If you go this route, email me for the settings to get you started. IXT also outputs a DNG for ACR or LR. http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/xtransformer_download.html 

This last is what I use for my X Trans processing. Like you, I'm retired on a fixed pension and I don't want any more monthly outgoings.

Hello Anne,

Strangely enough I was talking to a friend last night about my using Adobe DNG. He had never heard of it. He too has issues with his raw images in PS6. I cannot recall his camera though not a fuji.

Some scoff at DNG but  it is no hassle whatsoever and just takes a few extra seconds to convert the RAF files into DNG s which then open automatically into PS6 raw converter.

Adobe DNG is free and very straight forward in downloading and it's usage.    Go for it.

Anthony

2 hours ago, antbrewer said:

Hello Anne,

Strangely enough I was talking to a friend last night about my using Adobe DNG. He had never heard of it. He too has issues with his raw images in PS6. I cannot recall his camera though not a fuji.

Some scoff at DNG but  it is no hassle whatsoever and just takes a few extra seconds to convert the RAF files into DNG s which then open automatically into PS6 raw converter.

Adobe DNG is free and very straight forward in downloading and it's usage.    Go for it.

Anthony

One of the potential issues with concerting to DNG format is that it is believed that the data in the source raw file is converted into an image and then back into DNG raw format - hence what ends up in the DNG format is the result of the Adobe development process, complete with any issues that may contain (in the past, Adobe conversions of RAF files were almost comically bad compared to other development software, so converting to DNG embedded all those Adobe issues in the target file).  It's not something I would recommend, but you may not feel it is an issue if you are using Adobe software anyway, since the results are unlikely to be any worse than simply opening your RAF file in Adobe software.  If you want to use your raw files with other software at a later date, I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

@artukI think you are massively overstating any likelihood of problems when converting raw files to DNG. I have often manually converted to DNG files from different cameras inc Fuji and never had an issue.

All my Fuji RAF files are now converted to DNG. I choose to use Iridient X Transformer (IXT)  to do this. You do not lose the raw file, you get a DNG copy and your RAW file remains untouched should you wish to keep both it and the processed DNG. Memory is cheap these days so if necessary I can keep RAW, DNG, TIFF and JPG copies of those files I choose to process. If I think I may print, then I save the full size/res tiff unsharpened since sharpening should always be the final step and done at the output size/res.

I am also finding that provided I do not sharpen in LR (I turn off default LR sharpening in IXT) that the high pass filter in my stand alone PS CC 2015 at lowest setting is sufficient for the majority of sharpening including the previously problematical foliage and distant fine detail.

My PP now consists of:  Open files/folder (from FastStone browser) to IXT which places DNG conversions into the same raw folder where I separate them to their own DNG folder and import into LR7 (stand alone). Process as necessary except sharpening and export tiffs to PS CC for sharpening with high pass filter (after any titivating needed). Save as jpg to sub folder.

3 hours ago, veejaycee said:

@artukI think you are massively overstating any likelihood of problems when converting raw files to DNG. I have often manually converted to DNG files from different cameras inc Fuji and never had an issue.

All my Fuji RAF files are now converted to DNG. I choose to use Iridient X Transformer (IXT)  to do this. You do not lose the raw file, you get a DNG copy and your RAW file remains untouched should you wish to keep both it and the processed DNG. Memory is cheap these days so if necessary I can keep RAW, DNG, TIFF and JPG copies of those files I choose to process. If I think I may print, then I save the full size/res tiff unsharpened since sharpening should always be the final step and done at the output size/res.

I am also finding that provided I do not sharpen in LR (I turn off default LR sharpening in IXT) that the high pass filter in my stand alone PS CC 2015 at lowest setting is sufficient for the majority of sharpening including the previously problematical foliage and distant fine detail.

My PP now consists of:  Open files/folder (from FastStone browser) to IXT which places DNG conversions into the same raw folder where I separate them to their own DNG folder and import into LR7 (stand alone). Process as necessary except sharpening and export tiffs to PS CC for sharpening with high pass filter (after any titivating needed). Save as jpg to sub folder.

It's always been my understanding from some years ago that converting to DNG effectively means that the native RAW file is demosaiced using the Adobe raw engine, and then converted back into DNG format raw data.  As a result, any issues with the Adobe raw engine (of which there have been many with X Trans Raw files) is then encoded into the DNG.

Happy to be proven wrong that it ISNT doing demosaicing, and that actually it's just converting data points from one raw package to another... but that wasn't how I believed it worked.

It was just a watch out as it may effectively result in "Lost data" in the resultant DNG files if the OP deletes his RAF files.

p.s. I haven't used Adobe for several years, as the raw support of RAF files in earlier versions was so poor - maybe it's improved - although my experience was always that the implementation of raw support for cameras that weren't made by Canon or Nikon was often mediocre at best.

I convert to dng using X Transformer - but after final editing I delete the dng (which is over twice the size of the RAF file)  If I ever wanted to re-edit - converting to dng would only take  a moment. I do save the RAF of course.

That way I don't take the chance of locking in a conversion that may improve yet further in the future

Neither DNG or Raw lock in the conversion. Either file type which has been edited in LR can always be re-opened and readjusted. Likewise if either are processed in ACR. However, LR will not recognise ACR conversions and ACR will not recognise LR conversions. If you open an LR processed raw or dng in ACR it will use the unprocessed file and similarly, an ACR processed file opened in LR will open as a non processed file.

Memory is ridiculously cheap nowadays. I retain raw, dng, tiff and jpg copies of my keepers. I am thinking of thinning out my older files though simply to keep track more easily and I'm getting more ruthless with anything sub par.