I am a full time working pro, but when it comes to traveling I really don't want to carry (or be concerned with) any large, expensive camera systems. Some years ago I fell in love with the X-10, right around the time they hit the market. Since then my travel 'outfit' has consisted of 2 of them. That's it: one to carry around and one in reserve. Great little workhorses and surprisingly rugged considering the places I have carried them. And they produced fine enough  quality images so that I have been able to finance most of my trips with photo sales.

Anyway,(and like me), they are getting a bit worn and although they both seem to be functioning perfectly, (almost like me), I figure they are getting to the point where 'something's gotta give,' and rather than face an unexpected surprises the field, I figure it is time to consider a replacement outfit.

I do like the Fuji design, so my inclination is either towards a pair of X-70's or one of the X-100's (not really sure which). I'd probably be up for saving a few $'s by buying them used. So, any suggestions?

Simple solution. I'd buy the x100F. I see them selling second hand on the internet. Sometimes they include the TCL converter lenses and/or the lens hood as well which make them attractive to purchase as it is far less than a new one and purchasing these extras as add ons.  

Rob

We did a 16 day tour of Spain & Portugal with a X-T2 and 2 lenses (23mm f2 & 50mm f2). As it turned out the 23mm did most of the work.  Taking same along this year for 22 day tour of France.  With extra batteries etc, all fits nicely into a small case logic.  The case fits into a small backpack which is my carry on.  The camera and lenses are weather and dust sealed as an added bonus.  For me, a gigantic advantage over lugging the big Canon FF gear around (still have for domestic trips).

18 hours ago, robthebruce said:

Simple solution. I'd buy the x100F. I see them selling second hand on the internet. Sometimes they include the TCL converter lenses and/or the lens hood as well which make them attractive to purchase as it is far less than a new one and purchasing these extras as add ons.  

Rob

"Travel" photography is an often misleading term, as  many people photograph whilst travelling, which isn't always the same thing as classic "travel photography".  Therefore depending om what type of.photographs the OP takes under the banner of "travel", I wouldn't recommend a fixed lens camera with a wise lens.  Yes, I know, some.people travel and find subjects that suit a 35mm Equivalent lens, but I photography  great deal when travelling and can say a fixed focal le gtg is entirely unsuitable for many uses.  "Zoom with your feet" isn't actually an answer, and since the OP current has an X10 with a zoom lens, I would suggest he wants something similar.  The X70 and X100 suit quite different types of photography, so if he wants to stay with Fuji, I guess he should look.at an X30 or something. If he would consider other brands, Panasonic and Sony make excellent pocket cameras with fast or very considerable zoom lenses that suit tje diverse requirements of travelling.

I did a trip abroad recently and took an X100T and an X-T2 with 60mm and 35mm lenses. I found it very compact (easily in Billingham cabin bag). The combination covered all of my needs for library images and family stuff.

@artuk what will be your recommended kit for classic travel photography?

I always struggle selecting the gear for each trip. I want it to be as simple as possible but not limiting. I had traveled with just x100 or with 3 cameras, tripod and 5 lenses and always use all I bring. I enjoy carrying less, but I prioritize getting better pictures.

Your comment (some.people travel and find subjects that suit a 35mm Equivalent lens) made me think if, for the sake of practicality, our gear selection ends dictating the shots we get?

7 hours ago, JMA said:

@artuk what will be your recommended kit for classic travel photography?

I always struggle selecting the gear for each trip. I want it to be as simple as possible but not limiting. I had traveled with just x100 or with 3 cameras, tripod and 5 lenses and always use all I bring. I enjoy carrying less, but I prioritize getting better pictures.

Your comment (some.people travel and find subjects that suit a 35mm Equivalent lens) made me think if, for the sake of practicality, our gear selection ends dictating the shots we get?

"Travel photography" is largely a meaningless term, since what people photography when travelling varies so widely.

Even taking the perhaps more classic definition - stock photos of a location and life there - gives rise to the potential need for a large selection of focal lengths to cover scenery, architecture, street life / locals, close ups and still life, food, portraits etc.   Those things often don't need a 28mm or 35mm equivalent lens, and zooming with your feet is a nonsense (David Kilpatrick wrote an excellent article a few months ago on his photoclubalpha website, which explains very clearly why varying focal length has a great impact on composition that moving the camera does not replicate).  

If people tell you that an X70 or X100 or similar camera is all you need, it's because they only take pictures of certain types of subject.  Personally, I don't like wide lenses for lots of subjects as the wider field of view requires you to be uncomfortably close to a subject, or creates a background that is too distracting because for the same sized subject they capture more angular coverage that creates busy backgrounds (it suits some things, but not others).

Of course using certain equipment and focal lengths makes you gravitate to subjects that suit it!  

For different people, "travel" may mean landscapes, city scapes, architecture, reportage, interiors, social / people, food, low light, tripod based work and a whole host of other things.  Therefore the equipment that most suits will depend on each person's interests and needs.

However, I would always recommend zoom lenses over primes for many of the above, since the enormous flexibility of focal length using a "standard" zoom (24-70, 28-85, 24-105 etc) together with a wide angle zoom (12-24, 16-35) cover most of the focal lengths that are likely to be needed.  I would then suggest a faster aperture prime for situations when shallow DOF may be required, or when working in low available light - the length may depend on your interests, but will probably be something "normal" like a 50mm.

My travel, which can last from weeks to months, includes city scapes, architecture, street portraiture, reportage, event and competition coverage, and "formal" portraiture.  As a result, my typical "travel" kit includes a 16-35mm, 24-70mm for travel, a 55mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 for reportage, portraiture and street portraitures, a 70-200mm for event work, perhaps a wider fast prime for some street work, and a couple of flash guns and a wireless controller.  It's not exactly many people's classic "light" travelling kit, but it's what I feel I need to take the pictures I like to shoot (samples below using 55mm, 85mm, 16-35mm, 90mm, 85mm, 28mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm respectively).   

Other people's needs will vary based on their photographic interests - but I would ALWAYS suggest taking a zoom over a prime, unless you want to take a classic 28/50/85 or similar, and spend a lot of time swapping lenses!

DSC04886.jpg

DSC04050 1.jpg

5. Samui Sunset - Sony A7II + FE 16-35mm f4 ISO 100.jpg

6. Physique model Ejal Jalal - Sony A7 + FE 90mm f2-8 ISO 100 + Nissin Air 1 flash system.jpg

DSC00287.jpg

DSC02139.jpg

DSC00431_1.jpg

B. Panupong Prateep.jpg

• Thanks 1

Because I actually read the OP and thought about it before I posted I would say to the OP that if you are thinking about a pair of either X100 or X70 and you have previously used and loved the X10 (mine it sitting on the desk behind me, great camera) why not consider buying one of each?

If you go with a X70 and either a X100s or X100T they will all have variants of the same 16MP sensor so image wise will be similar but you would then have the different focal lengths (18.5mm of X70, 23mm of X100) available instantly plus the X70's tilt screen (including selfie mode ? )  for strange angle shots. The X70 is also more pocketable than the X100 should the neccessicity arise.

• Like 1

Indeed what you mention is my approach when traveling.  

I was thinking on getting the 16-55 to pair it with the 55-200 on 2 bodies, as I am starting to get tired of changing lenses all the time with primes. Even that I don't shot at 1.4 a lot, I wasn't sure about it. Now it makes more sense as you explained.

Thanks @artuk for taking the time to provide your insights

18 hours ago, JMA said:

Indeed what you mention is my approach when traveling.  

I was thinking on getting the 16-55 to pair it with the 55-200 on 2 bodies, as I am starting to get tired of changing lenses all the time with primes. Even that I don't shot at 1.4 a lot, I wasn't sure about it. Now it makes more sense as you explained.

Thanks @artuk for taking the time to provide your insights

welcome.

contrary to other peoples opinions, I did read the OPs question and gave my honest answer based on experience earlier in this thread.  He's been using a camera with a 28-100mm equivalent lens when "travelling", and asks if replacing it with a 28mm or 35mm prime lens camera is a good replacement.  Depending on his subjects and interests, as my later post tried to demonstrate, I dont think either is an ideal "travel" camera.  In my opinion you need a decent zoom, of which there are several good examples outside the Fuji brand. If he must have a Fuji then I guess the X30 is the compromise. I would only consider a 28-35mm fixed lens if I knew exactly what I needed it for, and without further information from the OP about his photographic interests and style, its impossible to say if either camera would suffice.  

Artuck's suggestion is a good one, so if we are going with zoom's, why not the 18-55 Fujifilm one? It works pretty well and is compact.

I started traveling in January 2011 and have done so most years since. 2 trips with a DSLR, (one of the smaller type available) convinced me I needed some thing easily carried 24/7. In mid 2012 bought the Fuji X10. Brilliant camera and virtually no missed opportunities due to it`s portability. Bought an X30 when it was released. Took me about a year to completely retire the X10. Just what I was used to, plus the X30 seemed a lot bulkier. I still have the X10, but is just kept as a reserve. The X30 is the better camera over all. I nearly always use auto mode and auto focus so the camera is ready for instant use. I find Artuk`s comments very accurate re need for zoom. It is essential as are the auto settings so you can get the item of interest quickly and efficiently before the opportunity is lost. I consider my type of travel photography to be like street photography, but is continuous for the months while living and traveling . The camera has to be ready for quick use 100% of the time. With a DSLR, half the time I would not have it with me, and if I did it would invariably have the wrong lens on. The X10/X30 are top class travel cameras, with the X30 having the edge. Their are more modern cameras out there, and probably better, but factor in the expense, then  I find I will be keeping both cameras for years to come.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/misty3/ 

• Like 1

Further to this topic: I spent nearly four weeks travelling through southern England, west coast of the Ireland and 10 days in the north west of Spain. I took the T2 with the 18-55 zoom, the 14 mm and the 50-140 f2.8. I used the 18-55 about 95% of the time and was not disappointed. The OIS and aperture switches on the lens jammed so I had no OIS if it was switched to aperture priority. Still worked ok without OIS as most of the pictures were between 15th second to 2000th second. 

I had the camera on its strap to my side (not in its case), each day of walking so as I saw something, I could lift it to my eye and at the same time turn it on. Within perhaps two seconds it was at my eye and taking the photo if needed. 

I have since had the 18-55 lens repaired on returning home. It was returned to me from Fujifilm looking brand new after the repair and clean they did to it. All the little groves in the adjustment for the zoom and aperture ring look great cleaned up. 

The evidence is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robculhane/albums/72157668199217947