When in single shot mode, or focus locked with back button or manual focus, I always been able to shoot the X-T2 as fast as I could stab the shutter button repeatedly. Several shots per second, no problem.

X-Pro2 doesn't behave like that. In the same escenario, same settings and lens, the camera makes a pronounced pause after every shot. It's shooting only on every second or third shutter button stab, approximately. It lags even at the first shot in manual focus.

I've learned that Imaging Resource calls the phenomenon "early shutter penalty". Their X-Pro2 review found that the camera suffers from it. 

On burst mode it doesn't pause, after a few tests I realized its because for every shot in single shot mode, it opens aperture to its largest, making f5.6-f16 the slowest, and f2-2.8 the fastest.

I do a lot of street or documentary work and I need to shot like this  from time to time. Burst mode doesn't work as I do end with a lot of almost identical shots.

Is there a configuration to fix this? or is just how the camera firmware behaves?? 

Setup the camera as you currently do except shoot in CL. You'll find you can quickly dab the shutter for single exposures. Set CL (in Drive settings) to 3 FPS. That should do it.

You might also (if necessary) maintain half press in between exposures or perhaps use AE-L, exposure lock. Also check the release priority (focus or release) to see it is at best setting for circumstances. (Sometimes, smallish aperture for wider DoF and release priority can offer instant shooting if the subjects remain on the same focus plane.)

@veejaycee will try with setting priority to release, I already tried all your other suggestions and did not worked for my intentions.

Strange its that even in manual focus (camera does not have spend time focusing) it lags, it opens and closes the diaphragm every single time shutter is pressed and it does not do it quickly.

Thank you

7 hours ago, JMA said:

When in single shot mode, or focus locked with back button or manual focus, I always been able to shoot the X-T2 as fast as I could stab the shutter button repeatedly. Several shots per second, no problem.

X-Pro2 doesn't behave like that. In the same escenario, same settings and lens, the camera makes a pronounced pause after every shot. It's shooting only on every second or third shutter button stab, approximately. It lags even at the first shot in manual focus.

I've learned that Imaging Resource calls the phenomenon "early shutter penalty". Their X-Pro2 review found that the camera suffers from it. 

On burst mode it doesn't pause, after a few tests I realized its because for every shot in single shot mode, it opens aperture to its largest, making f5.6-f16 the slowest, and f2-2.8 the fastest.

I do a lot of street or documentary work and I need to shot like this  from time to time. Burst mode doesn't work as I do end with a lot of almost identical shots.

Is there a configuration to fix this? or is just how the camera firmware behaves?? 

If I correctly understand what you are describing, this has been an issue since the original X Pro 1, and was nicknamed "aperture dance" - the aperture insists on closing, opening and closing to taking aperture when the shutter is pressed, even when in manual focus mode.  An author who was supposedly close to Fuji claimed that it was a consequence of the firmware architecture and couldn't be fixed.  It was always most pronounced when the aperture was under user control and was a small value (open) but the light was bright.  I remember an X-T1 or X-T2 owner finding a similar problem when in manual focus mode, and photographing a stop watch said the delay was variable but he found up to 0.6 seconds in some circumstances.

I did report it to Fuji twice within the first couple of years of the release of the X Pro 1, but it appeared that it was impossible to fix, or they were unable to do so, and so remained a significant issue in some circumstances when sharp shutter response was needed.

I can only suggest you notify Fuji in your country of the issue, and ask for details of how to report the issue to Fuji Japan (your local customer service will probably ask you to email a local email address and forward the details to Fuji Japan).

Unfortunately I never found a satisfactory solution, so apart from trying VJCs suggestion, I don't know what else to suggest.  If the camera is new you might consider returning it to your dealer for a refund if it does not satisfy your needs, or contacting Fuji or your dealer and asking for a fix.  If they are unable to resolve the problem under warranty, you may be eligible for a replacement or a refund, depending on sales laws in your country.  If it is a big enough issue for you, it might be worth a try. 

@veejaycee and @artuk

Here is the update.

Camera behaves the same even with a mitakon lens (fully manual) so aperture dance or AF settings are not the root cause. Tested on 2 more xpro2's from some friends and showed same behavior, so I do not have a faulty unit.

Seems indeed its a firmware issue, as the camera does some processing before releasing the shutter (causing short lag for first shot) then does it again for the next shots (causing now a long lag). I tried deactivating/activating exposure preview and pic effect preview, but regardless the combination of settings, the camera behaves the same. It does the same in OVF, EVF, ERF, LCD.

I recall having the same sort of the same issue on X100s and X70, but XT2/XH1 do not. I'm starting to think its because of lack of power processing, maybe due the lower heat dissipation of rangefinder styled bodies.

Its a shame because the main use for my xpro2 is street/documentary and it just fails on responsiveness and I did lost a lot of shoots because of this. I had not had any issue with XT2/XH1 in this regard.

Seems I may have to let go the xpro2, hopefully fuji fix this on the xpro3.