sencci

XC 16-50mm or XC15-45mm

Hello everyone. I am looking for backup camera (have dslr Nikon D7100), for everyday (mostly) street photography camera. I decided to buy body Fujifilm X-T20. 

I know that the prime lenses are the best, and also know that zoom lenses like 18-55 mm and 16-55 mm are one of the best. But I'm limited by the budget and I want to choose between the two cheapest zoom lens kit for now. I'll be upgrading later.

I'am new in world of mirrorless. But I have read many positive reviews for Fujinon kit lenses, like they are much better than a Nikon or Canon kit lens. So for comparison purposes, can I expect (at the least) that they are as good as eg. Tamron 17-50 mm lens (I use on dslr) , regarding focusing, sharpness, distortion, etc ..?

According to the their specifications, 15-45mm is smaller and lighter (it is good), but I am not sure about OIS PZ - whether it is an advantage or a disadvantage of this lens (faster battery consumption, each time pulling out, etc.) Any useful informations?

So, what budget lens is better to buy with X-T20: XC 16-50mm OIS II or XC 15-45mm OIS PZ?

Thanks,

IMO the 16-50mm (or a used 18-55mm) will suit you better than the PZ lens - PZ meaning power zoom which you can never get zoomed just right. Not everyone seems as happy with the performance of this lens as the 16-50 or 18-55. There are versions I and II of the 16-50mm - referring to very slightly improved OIS - they're both good.

On 7/14/2018 at 9:45 PM, veejaycee said:

IMO the 16-50mm (or a used 18-55mm) will suit you better than the PZ lens - PZ meaning power zoom which you can never get zoomed just right. Not everyone seems as happy with the performance of this lens as the 16-50 or 18-55. There are versions I and II of the 16-50mm - referring to very slightly improved OIS - they're both good.

Thank you for your reply. I definitely do not have any more dilemmas, I think I will buy 16-50 II instead of 15-45.

In the meantime, I looked this comparison of 16-50 vs 18-55 lenses:

https://youtu.be/sBTawBOnZr4

Although the obvious difference between these two lenses displayed in the video might have an effect on me, I hope it will not disappoint me if I buy 16-50 however. Despite the video comparison, I still belive it's not such a difference in IQ, which is the difference in price. After a while, I'd rather buy some prime. Maybe I'm wrong?

No, you're not wrong. In fact I've often described the 16-50mm XC and 50-230mm XC as the ideal zooms for a prime lens shooter who only occasionally requires a zoom.

2 hours ago, veejaycee said:

No, you're not wrong. In fact I've often described the 16-50mm XC and 50-230mm XC as the ideal zooms for a prime lens shooter who only occasionally requires a zoom.

Thanks! This sounds great!

Finally, I have to make a decision between the X-T20 + 16-50II (new) and the X-T10 + 18-55 (used). Although the 18-55 is slightly a better lens, but the X-T20 without a dilemma is a better and new body, what do you think is the better final choice?

Go for the new XT20 + 16-50mm XC. At modest apertures you'll not see much difference. Then build up your primes.

9 hours ago, veejaycee said:

Go for the new XT20 + 16-50mm XC. At modest apertures you'll not see much difference. Then build up your primes.

Okay. Thank you very much for your advice. I'll probably buy the X-T20 with 16-50 now, and later probably upgrade with some prime. I can even use my Nikon lenses with an adapter in the meantime.

I have an offer for used X-T10 + 18-55 + two batteries and with a Nikon adapter, all for 500 EUR, while the new X-T20 with 16-50 II  costs about 800 EUR. It's really worth the extra money, comparing these specific offers? It's worth investing in longer runs for my final decision?

Depends on your budget, but I personally would still go for X-T20 + 16-50 II. The extra batteries and Nikon adapter should not cost a lot (about £50).